Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Stilgar

Interview by: James "Stilgar" Christenson
Interviewee: Matt Jacob

UBBDev
Hello Matt. How did you get started in graphics design? What is your background?

Matt
Probably as young as 7 was when I developed a talent for drawing and being creative. I did it all - finger painting, pencils, markers, etc. I went to college at the University of Illinois from 1993 to 1997 and majored in visual communication/graphic art.

UBBDev
What tools do you use to create your artwork?

Matt
For computer-generated artwork, I primarily use the excellent Adobe Photoshop, alongside the equally good Adobe Illustrator. For physical work, I use a variety of mediums and media, some of which include pencil, pen (drawing pens), markers, and the like.

UBBDev
Do you use any other tools as well?

Matt
I also use various types of printer inks and papers when creating brochures and advertisements. You can control much of your output by experimenting with different types of papers.

UBBDev
What inspires you to write your popular tutorials?

Matt
I feel that knowledge is a great thing to have, a tool if you will, and that it should be shared with everyone. Some people aren't as talented as others in this field, so it's important to at least give everyone the opportunity. It can really be summed up in the popular quote, "give a man a fish and he'll have lunch for a day. teach the man how to fish, and he'll have food for life." I also like to experiment all the time, and sharing my results lets others do the same.

Tutorual: Realistic 3-D Spheres in Photoshop

UBBDev
Do you plan to write more tutorials in the future?

Matt
I originally had big expectations in my eyes for my tutorial collection, and to some extent I still do. I plan on eventually writing up about 10 design tutorials and another 10-15 HTML/CSS tutorials. They will be the central part of my upcoming website, for which there will be no more details about.

UBBDev
Do you do any non-digital art?

Matt
I guess you could say that I do only non-digital art. Working for print is much, much different than working for a monitor. However, many, if not all of the same tools are used for both. This makes the transition to computer art easier than starting fresh. I like the freedom and endless possibilities that screen design presents.

UBBDev
Do you have a forum that showcases your graphics?

Matt
Regretably, no, not at the moment. My up-and-coming site will have somewhat of a digital portfolio, albeit small, and it will showcase my works to date. If you'd like to see some of my work, point your browser to UBBDev.com and look at the top of the screen.

UBBDev
What is your favorite beverage while creating art?

Matt
This is by far the toughest question of the lot. Really, I'll drink anything I have access to, with the exception of diet or caffeine-free drinks. I like coffee in the morning, with sugar and cream, pops (or sodas, as some say) throughout the day, and a Frappuccino or tea in the afternoon. Frappuccino's are quite good, and provide a lot of punch in a little bottle. They speak softly and carry a big stick, I guess.

Tutorial: Signature Image Tutorial, Photoshop 5.0+

UBBDev
Do you also create your own html?

Matt
Well, of course I create my own HTML! I admit that I used FrontPage 98 back in the day, but I'm now a standards-compliance freak. Part of wanting to code it correctly is understanding why it's so important to do so. And until you read the books and the stories, you don't really get a good enough picture of it all. A lot of people can't get past the fact that Cascading Style Sheets are meant for so much more than just changing link colors on hover.

UBBDev
What is your favorite color?

Matt
My favorite colors to dress in are khaki and blue - they go nicely together. My favorite color to work with is really anything that has a lot of style in its own. Grays are boring, reds are vibrant and full of life!

UBBDev
Do you have any advice for people just starting out?

Matt
The best advice I could give would be to purchase a good book on the subject. For aspiring Photoshoppers, there is nothing better to buy than Adobe's own Photoshop 6.0 Classroom in a Book[/i] . Really good stuff there. As for general graphic design, there are literally tons of books on the subject. You have to shop around at a brick-and-mortar bookstore to find the right one, but one of my new favorites for web design is The [i]Art and Science of Web Design[/i] by Jeffrey Veen.

UBBDev
What is the simplest graphics trick that you use all the time?

Matt
It's true, simplicity is best in graphic design. Always has been, and likely always will be. The trick I'd like to share with you is a program-specific one, but really worthwile once you get to learning it well. The implementation of it in Photoshop 6.0 is really quite excellent, as well. What I'm talking about here is layer sets. Layer sets let you create a type of folder to hold certain layers that you can throw in there.

Here's an example. I'm designing a new site, which has about 4-5 parts to it; there's a top area with a logo, a navigation area, a content area, a sidebar area, and a footer area. I want to be able to work with each of these sections quickly and easily. Whatever is a girl to do? Just make 5 layer sets, color code them differently, and then add related layers to their own sets. In this way, you can keep the background of your logo area and the logo text layer in the same layer folder. Pretty nifty if you're an organizational freak like me.

UBBDev
Are there any websites that you would like to share with beginning artists?

Matt
There are hundreds that I'd love to share, but I'm afraid that the list would be too long to visit comfortably. So instead, I'll just list my top five current favorite sites.

UBBDevWhat are your plans for the future?

Matt
I plan on making a commemmorative UD/UBBDev Cancer Haxxors wallpaper very shortly, so be sure to look for that. As I said before, I really want to concentrate on creating a useful, quick-loading site that helps people learn quickly. Some people say this can't be done, but those people have never tried. I also eventually plan on becoming a web crusader and phasing out all scrolling text and blinking images across the Web. Sometime in the near future, I think it'd be fun to prank call Cal Henderson, too. The only problem with that is the outrageous long distance charges to the UK.

[i]Thank you for your time Matt. It was a pleasure getting to know more about you.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63