Print Thread
Rate Thread
Stilgar

Interview by: James "Stilgar" Christenson
Interviewee: Cuba

UBBDev
Hey Cuba. How did you get started in graphics design

Cuba
Well, it was 3 years ago when our family first got connected to the internet. I quickly gained an interest in the web design process and the software that was available. At first, it was mainly software like Homestead and Windows Paint I worked with then, as my skills grew I began looking at the more complex graphics packages and noticing what could be done. At college I had special tutoring by one of my teachers to help me to develop further and he introduced me into software such as PSP and PS.

UBBDev
What tools do you use to create your artwork?

Cuba
I use mostly Macromedia Fireworks. Although I do use Photoshop I find Fireworks has ease of use and doesn't put a load on your computer smile I used Paint Shop Pro for my artwork for a while, but found this to be somewhat limiting in what could be done and isn't for "heavy-duty graphics". On Fireworks 4 I have expanded by purchasing the Eye Candy 4000 software. This adds many Photoshop effects to my layout and I believe Fireworks is all I really need to make good graphics. But I ain't gonna install Photoshop, no way... someone'll call me crazy smile

UBBDev
... you're crazy. smile Do you use any other tools as well?

Cuba
Sure, my main tool for that would be Dreamweaver... I know that inside out - back to front and with Fireworks integration I find the tools mix together well. I have tried my hand at Flash also.. although my skills in there are somewhat to a lesser extent than Static. I confess to using Notepad too smile

UBBDev
hehehe. What inspires you to create your very popular icons?

Cuba
Well, I've found out when I've been moderating at certain boards, that people tend to mis-understand and/or not use the icons because they don't know that they mean. The latest set of icons I created was an attempt at eliminating that misunderstanding by making what they do set out clearly. That's why you see "Private Message" instead of "PM". In my other icons that I've created, I feel that many boards simply cannot set their boundaries within one or two sets of graphics, so the need for more I felt was needed.

UBBDev
You have done a great job so far. Do you have plans to create other forum icon sets in the future?

Cuba
Sure I do, I'm only getting started, as long as people need them and new hacks are being developed where they are required, I'm there. I hope to make different icon sets for different types of boards (ex. Sports, Science etc...). I have plans to make more icons in use with the cosmetic links hack as people are continually adding this.

UBBDev
I happen to know you're a baseball fan. Who is your pick to win this year's World Series?

Cuba
hmmm.. good question. I don't want to offend people but umm.. Atlanta Braves eek laugh

UBBDev
hehehe. Do you do any non-digital art?

Cuba
Hahaha... if doodling in class counts, then yea.. I do smile other than that.. no, my skills are purely limited to the computer laugh

UBBDev
Have you considered going to school to become a professional graphics designer?

Cuba
Actually, my careers teacher told me I should do that.. but that's not really what I'd like to be. I wouldn't want to spend my life behind a desk working on computer. There's too much to do and see, that's why I'm joining the Navy in a year smile Maybe after my stint in that I can become a Graphics Designer, depends what life throws, until that, I'll develop my skills enough to make it easy!

UBBDev
What projects are you working on now?

Cuba
I'm helping my good buddy Tech-Ni-Kal on his website stonecrick.com =) and then I'm working on a project for a Dublin based Shopping Service which requires many skills I can tell ya! Until I start that (in September) I'm open for work smile *cough

UBBDev
What is your favorite beverage while creating art?

Cuba
I'm a Coca-Cola man myself (can I say that on TV?). I'm partial to a fine glass of freshly squeezed orange juice but it's more or less Coke all the way. You could say it "helps" my brain in a way.

UBBDev
Do you have your own web site?

Cuba
I've many domains, all of which had something on them at one point but I had to close them down for exam studying. I'm beginning my pick up again though, I've been hacking a UBB in a private place only 2 people know smile

UBBDev
What is your favorite color?

Cuba
Favorite color, Dark blue bordering on Navy, I think it's #006699.

UBBDev
You gotta love a guy who speaks of colors in hexadecimal numbers. Do you have any advice for people just starting out?

Cuba
My advice would be, get the correct software, read a few tutorials online or get a big book for dummies smile Your going to have trouble with the software at starting but keep at it and you'll soon learn all the meanings of the different icons and menus. Possibilities are endless with such products as PS and FW, and once you've created a masterpiece tell yourself
"I'm great, look what I made!". You'll become a pro in no time.

UBBDev
What drew you to UBBDEV as one of your hangouts?

Cuba
Well it was inevitable once I purchased the UBB software, and when I did arrive I noticed a less than enthusiastic Design and Graphics forum so I thought I might do some good here, and it seems as if I have smile
The staff are helpful and friendly also which is also a bonus.. you can't run a community with bad leaders smile

UBBDev
What are your plans for the future?

Cuba
My plans are to keep creating, modifying, color changing, and all of that other stuff for UBB for the mean time anyway as I've got a pretty free summer *COUGH!!** UBB always needs more and more graphics and if I'm in demand, I'll make it my duty to help out around the place on a more permanent basis smile It's always nice to see the reactions from people who enjoy your work, that's one of the main incentives and keeps me going!

Thank you for your time Cuba. It was a pleasure getting to know you better. You truly add a lot to our community.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63