Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
We recently captured...er..caught a few of the staff members at UBBDev, and asked them a bunch of random questions...the result...our UBBDev Staff Roundtable...

UBBDev:
Besides UBB, what are some of your other computer/programming interests?
Gizzy:
Web Design: UGN Security, The Hackers Tavern, Phone Abuse, Oregon Mortgages, HostNuke, I also enjoy PHP/MySQL
CTM:
I'm often found living on IRC (particularly on IPHQ as Chris and ZiRC as Chris`). I also participate on many other message boards and occasionally I mess around with game-modding.
Charles Capps:
There's life outside of UBB? Surely you jest... Okay, seriously... I've been tinkering with a cobbled together chat bot. Drop by Startrekker Chat and talk to Feenix.
tackaberry:
Most of my projects are on extended hiatus. I keep meaning to learn German
usr bin geek:
Like some of the others here, I'm an IRC addict too. I'm a Net Admin on irc.WyldRyde.net and an IRCop on a few other networks. I also enjoy blogging, modifying MovableType, and designing web sites.
Ian Spence:
I enjoy learning css and php, and when I've got the time, I dabble in vb
Charles:
making useless programs in PHP like the panel generator , I am writting a full website management script using PHP/Mysql and UBB.classic and learning a bit of css
LK:
I like to write all sorts of Perl and PHP scripts, and try to learn about MySQL and improve my CSS "skills".
Allen:
Since I can't code wink I spend a lotta time at my personal sites. I write a lot there and research answers to questions.

UBBDev:
What games do you spend most of your time playing, do you play many games online?
CTM:
I don't play many games online, only the ones that really catch my eye or interest me the most. I mainly play GTA3/Vice City online these days (thanks to the MTA project).
usr bin geek:
I loath first person shooters and only enjoy Real Time Straegy games. Lately I have been playing Command & Conqueror Generals Zero Hour and I've gone back to playing SimCity4 with the release of Rush Hour. I do play C&C online but not that often as I prefer to play it with friends on my home network so we can tease and taunt each other.
Ian Spence:
Unreal Tournament 2004 should be here Friday
Charles Capps:
When I'm in the mood to play online, I can usually be found in TFC...
Gizzy:
I used to play The Realm all the time, where I was a very popular player, but it all got boring so i sold my account for about $100 USD. I also play Diablo II: LoD and enjoy a good game of Age of Empires every now and then...
tackaberry:
Warcraft III and Age of Mythology. No online gaming. My PS2 is also somewhere in storage.
Charles:
I like stealth games but I swapped laptop and the new one is not in yet so I would say I will play splinter cell2 and Thief 3
LK:
I like especially strategy games, such as Age of Mythology, and sports games.
Allen:
I get addicted to games way too easily, so I have to stay away from them. Recently when we added the games.cgi mod to our modifications forum I spent all night playing crashdown just to have the highest score before I posted the mod tipsy So yeah, I stay away smile

UBBDev:
What is the next component on your computer that you want to upgrade/replace?
Charles Capps:
Which computer?
Ian Spence:
hmmm, my PC is pretty much good as it is, so if I upgraded anything, it'd be... well... all of it
CTM:
I'm hoping to add another hard drive soon, I'm in desperate need of space at the moment. I filled the 250GB I currently have (spread across 4 drives) and it's almost all used up...
usr bin geek:
Between buying a new laptop and just finishing a major upgrade to my desktop I'm not to sure what else I could do right now. Perhaps when PCI Express has been out a while I'll be interested in upgrading my motherboard and video card on my desktop.
Gizzy:
Well, when I sent my laptop in to have the keyboard replaced ($250 to replace a keyboard as opposed to them selling the plastic scissor hinges for $1) Dell Tech Support broke my mouse on my laptop... I know it was something they did since it worked just fine before I sent it in... They refuse to replace it free of charge...
Charles:
well my laptop can hardly get any better, maybe an external soundcard/7.1 speaker set or an external HD
tackaberry:
I keep holding myself back from getting a G5
LK:
I think the biggest concern in my computer is my ATI AIW Radeon (no number) display adapter, though I don't think I'm going to replace it until my next computer purchase, about the time 64-bit chips are functional.
Allen:
I have legendary computer problems, right now my notebook at home needs a new screen and motherboard. I'll probably get a desktop this summer instead of spending the money on it. I'm waiting for ars-technica to update their recommendations for DIY pc's smile

UBBDev:
What movie are you most looking forward to in 2004?
Ian Spence:
Ummmm.... Shrek 2 if it's out on DVD soon enough
CTM:
Uncertain, but Troy looks quite promising. We might be able to use it as an excuse for our Latin field trip at school too...
Charles Capps:
None of the above. I don't do the movie thing, for the most part.
usr bin geek:
Boy I haven't a clue. I never go to the movies since I wait for everything to be offered on PPV or the subscription channels.
Gizzy:
I just go where my mom or wife drag me.
Charles:
I watch everything anyway
tackaberry:
Troy, Spider Man 2, Shrek 2, Meet the Fockers
LK:
Anything better than last year's movies.
Allen:
Shrek 2 was my most anticipated movie for the summer and it's already here. I do wanna catch Troy and the new Spiderman smile

UBBDev:
Besides your own and UBBDev, what is your favorite UBB community?
Ian Spence:
Netwerkin and Flare(The only place that makes me feel not geeky enough)
tackaberry:
Can't really say
usr bin geek:
Flare
Gizzy:
I like PostNuke support forums as well as Netwerked.
Allen:
I got a Honda Rincon 4-wheeler last year, so I spend a good amount of time at www.highlifter.com drooling over the mods there laugh
Charles Capps:
Wow, tough one. I don't actually hang out in many UBB communities that aren't about the UBB itself. *L*
Charles:
tt-hardware.com which is a cool french board for computer stuff. Not sure they have a license though smirk
CTM:
I've been involved with The Matrix Community very much over the last few months. They have the best deep-thinking content I've ever seen on a message board system, bar none.
LK:
Next question please. (doesn't that sound like a real interviewee?)

UBBDev:
What feature would you like to see added to UBB next?
Charles:
Mysql support ....
usr bin geek:
A Calendar and a way to merge/split posts from topics.
Ian Spence:
CSS Templates and an updated styles editor in the CP
tackaberry:
The Pizza ordering thing
Gizzy:
User Groups.
Charles Capps:
I can't really answer this one, for obvious reasons.
CTM:
Any of my mods would be just fine, thanks Actually, I'd really like to see Infopop add some kind of private topics feature to UBB.c, I'm sure it'd be very popular at almost any community.
LK:
Complete CSS (like we have here) and XHTML, Calendar, and all the stuff CC usually thinks of. And the vision of the end of days, MySQL.
Allen:
I'm gonna have to agree with LK here, those are my faves too smile

UBBDev:
What was the best book you read in the past year?
Charles:
I read about 3-4 books per week so I will say the last one, which I read yesterday: Dan Brown, the Da Vinci code
Charles Capps:
mod_perl Developer's Cookbook.
tackaberry:
I recent re-read the Iliad and Odessey
CTM:
I find it hard to find time to read right now because of my packed lifestyle, but my favourite set of books of all time has to be the Adrian Mole series by Sue Townsend.
Gizzy:
MySQL Weekend Crashcourse is the only book I've read in the past year...
usr bin geek:
Oliver North's Mission Compromised.
Ian Spence:
Dilbert: A Treasury of Sunday Strips: Version 00
LK:
Books? I tried to put one into my DVD, but I guess my DVD isn't multi-system.
Allen:
I've recently read a book by Suze Orman (financial planner) entitled: The Courage to be Rich: Creating a Life of Material and Spiritual Abundance - I'm interested in bidness stuff and personal finance and Suze writes well. smile

UBBDev:
What portable MP3 player do you own - or would like to own?
Charles Capps:
I have a Sony D-NE710, which is always in use whenever I do any coding in the office. Dave has had to resort to throwing things at me to get my attention while plugged in.
Charles:
I use my old cli? to listen to mp3 but I wouldn't mind a small one with tons of memory that i could keep in my jeans pocket
CTM:
I'm currently the proud owner of a Creative Jukebox 3. Its internal hard drive is 20GB, and I only have 7GB of MP3s, so I don't think I'll need to swap it any time soon.
usr bin geek:
I have a 40GB Apple iPOD which I have a love hate relationship with. Its mostly hate though, I've even come close to throwing it out the window of my car a few times. The damn thing's controls never seem to work properly. I hit pause and it thinks it means DON'T STOP. Once I am able to get it to pause and if I hit play it thinks that means skip ahead to the next song. If I hit next it thinks it means skip ahead a dozen or more songs. And yes I sent it to Apple Service 3 times and its still not fixed. Maybe my play lists are just too long.
Allen:
I don't have one... frown I'm 'the boss' where I work and I wouldn't look very 'bossy' with an ipod strapped to my ears wink Otherwise I've got pretty good stereo equipment in my vehicle and home that I like to turn up when I get the chance laugh
Gizzy:
Nomad Jukebox is on my wish list...
Ian Spence:
That new iRiver (I think it's called)
tackaberry:
15 gig iPod, might still buy a Blue mini
LK:
The one which costs the most. For birthday present of course.

UBBDev:
What other "gadgets" do you have your eyes on?
Charles Capps:
Nothing in particular. If I had more time to waste I'd be thinking about an XBox.
Allen:
ooohh yes, I've got my eye on the new ram-disk xbox coming out who-knows-when. Hopefully I'll have kids shortly I can blame the purchase on wink Otherwise I like digital cameras. I have to buy one ever so often since I manage to drop mine occasionally wink
Charles:
well just broke my cell phone (did you know they did not like eggs?) so I would love the new siemens SX1 or S65
usr bin geek:
I just ordered a HP iPAQ 5555 and I'm anxiously waiting for it to arrive.
CTM:
I've got my eyes on the prize, a new laptop... This 500MHz PII just doesn't cut it any more. Plus it's not great at UD either... I'd kill for anything faster than 1.5GHz, that would be perfect.
Ian Spence:
TiVo!!!!!!!
Gizzy:
A *real* computer! lol...
tackaberry:
Still waiting for a bluetooth phone from Verizon
LK:
Those tiny little cameras, and the Microsoft watch if it weren't so clumsy and expensive.

UBBDev:
What is your favorite Pixar movie?
Gizzy:
Toy Story 2 was amusing...
tackaberry:
Nemo was pretty cool, although I preferred it in German wink
CTM:
Definitely the original Toy Story film. Hard to beat that.
Charles Capps:
Toy Story, easily.
Ian Spence:
Was Shrek one? If not, Toy Story
Allen:
Monsters, Inc. was probably my fave, tho I haven't seen a bad one by pixar, they do amazing work smile
Charles:
Toy Story 2
usr bin geek:
I haven't seen any.
LK:
I probably should've said Toy Story, but I can't remember anything from that movie.

UBBDev:
Thank you everyone for taking the time to have a little fun. smile

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63