Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lurker
Lurker
Hi all.

We're running UBB 6.2.2 with a lot of customization that has kept us from upgrading. We're on a good dedicated server with 2 Gigs of RAM. We have over 40,000 users, but only about 1000 have used the message boards (our users for our main site are automatically registered on the boards). There are usually 10-25 people online.

Many times, our boards are very slow. The processess back up and things grind to a halt. We get a lot of overhead in our w3t_users table, and it helps when we Optimize, but they slow down again quickly.

About a week ago, I rebooted the whole server and the boards were great for almost 3 days. They were fast and happy. Then, they started slowing down again. I'd rather not reboot the whole server every few days, so if anyone has ideas on what we can do to narrow it down and solve the problem, please let me know. Our hosting company tells me MySQL has been sluggish on a lot of forums lately.

Thanks,
Carl
www.songfacts.com

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
[]Our hosting company tells me MySQL has been sluggish on a lot of forums lately.[/] Did they say why? Since it is not YOUR server and is the hosting companies, not much we can say will help you... Especially since THEY acknowledged a problem. Have they tweaked their MYSQL any? because since it is their server thats something only they can do? I would suggest to them that they move you to another server if they have one, to see if that helps you any.[/]

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmm.. you could point them to the 'tune mysql' topic here.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Lurker
Lurker
Sorry about the confusion - we are on our own server. It's colocated hosting, so the box lives at the hosting company and they made the observation about boards on other servers as well.

I did read the thread on tuning MySQL, and it looks like our settings are in pretty good shape. I'm wondering if there's some kind of cache that clears out when the server is restarted that I can clear every so often.

I was using mySql 3.23 and it was upgraded it to 4.0. So far so good and very stable. A great improvement though.

...... x ......
Using UBBt 6.4.2 + Digg Ajax Mod, Trust Ajax Mod, Captcha Regristation & Login mod, Checkusername Ajax mode.
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63