Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Coder
Coder
Im looking for some options here. I recently had a member go bad. He has made it very clear that he can and will cause problems. He is very determind to keep coming back.

We have banned each name he is under and also banned the ip addys he is posting under. But he just come back with another ip. Is there a way to handle this. I dont want to ban a block of ip's because of the possibilities of banning many, many people.

what to do.

Sponsored Links
User
User
I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this, DrChaos. I am curious too since I plan to open a public forum some day and know this could become an issue.

However, I had the same issue as yours with our company's board not too long ago and, yes, I kept banning I.P. addresses to no avail. This user would dynamically create new ones and to make matters worse, would post everything in gibberish.

Our forums are different, however. First, a visitor must pay to be on the site with a user/password. Then, they are required to create a user/password to access the community. We have a double barrier. Nonetheless, it came down to our tech people to finally ban this person by banning a couple of different things.

Not only could we ban the credit card, but they banned anyone that attempted to post anything with a combination of variables such as matching I.P.'s, workstations, operating systems, addresses, ISP services, etc. We have not seen this person for over 8 months.

Barring any great advice from here on threadsdev, you might have some luck with your hosting provider. Just a thought... small one, but all I can offer at the moment. Good luck.

Helping the lost & lonely one sweet soul at a time...
Old Hand
Old Hand
Send his mother a email and tell her that her 13 year old son is misbehaving!

Cases like that are tough. You could turn on admin approval for new registrations.

Banning a block of IP's isn't a terrible thing. Don't be afraid of it.

When we've had idjits like that in the past, I use the ARIN database to find their domains from several posts. I always hope I find them posting from a work computer. Then a quick phone call to the employer usually takes care of the problem.

Lastly, if you could get members to just ignore this person, s/he will eventually tire of it and go away. They always do, some take a little longer than others.

coffee and code
coffee and code
I posted this a few weeks ago...
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/124992/an/0/page/0#124992

But the arrogant ass who I was trying to ban, found me on this site (through a google search) and basically shot my idea down

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Sponsored Links
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
There was a hack posted which allows banning of both the proxy server they're using and/or their real IP.

This way they can't keep changing proxies and continue posting because their real IP is banned too.

Unfortunately this mod is for 6.3 (what I'm using) and I have no idea how much work would be needed to convert it to 6.5

https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat...prev=#Post91358

There is *one* way around this but I'm not gonna say how for obvious reasons.

Kahuna
Kahuna
ooh, that'd be great, if it got 6.5'd

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849