Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lurker
Lurker
Hi all,

I have a problem here, and I hope someone can help. I've posted this over on the UBB.threads support site, and have opened a ticket with InfoPop[1], but to no avail. Hence the reason I'm throwing this out to the wider community...

We have succesfully upgraded a couple of wwwthreads 5.3 and 5.4 forums to UBBThreads 6.5.1, and would now like to try and do this for some much older versions.

We're looking at some 3.5.1 perl installs, and there are no altertable-*.php scripts going back that far, and I know that the database structure is wildly different.

Now, we could probably try and reverse-engineer this, and come up with our own import scripts to move a 3.5.1 database to a 5.2 one, and then take the upgrade from there as per usual. However, this will be a _lot_ of work, not to mention we'll probably loose some data in the process, so I'd appreciate any pointers...

Has anyone attempted this before ? Is there somewhere where I can download old archived versions of wwwthreads so I can try using the altertable scripts provided in later versions to bring it up to 5.3 / 5.4 ? I've googled and managed to find a 4.0.0 version, but nothing before or after this. Does anyone have an archive of old versions going back this far ? The InfoPop developers are fine with me getting hold of these old versions (see referenced URL), so there's no concern over piracy...

Thanks for any input!

-Mark
[1]=http://www.ubbcentral.com/boards/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/41281/an/0/page/0

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
I think rick would be the one to hold all the older updates you might want to try contacting him directly

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
Lurker
Lurker
Thanks for the response. Which Rick would that be ? There are quite a few listed at https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showmembers.php?Cat=0&sb=1&page=4&like=r.

As an update - I'm interested in any old versions that anyone may be able to dig up, even if it's just the altertable scripts. At the moment, the furthest back I can go is to 5.2. Anything at all getting me up to that point would be helpful (5.0->5.1 , 5.1->5.2 etc.).

I'm not entirely sure which version I am attempting to upgrade from, either - which makes things a little more "fun". The install I'm looking at contains the line

$w3t::VERSION = "3.5.1";

in w3t.pm, but I have also found that exact same line in a file I downloaded that calls itself wwwthreads-free-5.0.8.tar.gz. If it helps, this is the version that kept each subforum as a separate table instead of one "Posts" table.

Thanks again,

-Mark

Veteran
Veteran

Lurker
Lurker
Oh right, thanks. Sorry, I should have mentioned - I already opened a support ticket with InfoPop, they don't have anything going back futher than 5.5.

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
yes but rick wrote wwwthreads so he must have private archives dating back from before IP.

He actually lost quite a bit of it in a crash a few years ago...

Lurker
Lurker
For what it's worth, I went ahead and did the manual work myself. It took a while, but I managed to work out a collection of scripts that convert an ancient install to a state where it can be upgraded by UBBThreads. I managed to get most stuff across, users, boards, posts etc. but some stuff did go missing (file attachments), and permissions needed to be re-done for each board afterwards.

If you're ever in the same situation, drop me a line (PM or email at mark underscore round at ipcmedia dot com) and I'll let you know the details (the scripts are largely specific to our situation, but I'll share what I can).

-Mark

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63