Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hi all,

One more time, sorry for the issues..

When trying to use the upgrade tool.. the only username that will work is "admin" with no password..

And it wont let me proceed with anything because it doesnt seem to be setting the cookie that allows auth with the site...

Any idea?

www.dancesafe.org/eboard

Edit **

Heres an odd thing..

It will accept *any* username in the box, and go to the next page.. (still wont go beyond the language update though)

But if I try anything with a password.. it doesnt accept it.

Last edited by BryanDS; 09/23/2004 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
I should mention Ive tried setting my privacy to its lowest settings and setting this site as a trusted device.

As well, I have gone through and completely redone permissions on all files per the 6.5 install instructions.

And.. on top of everything else.. the same as the other post in this forum..

Ive got that nifty lil page that has windows within windows asking me to authenticate..

BUT .. It seems to bring those up if I type my admin password in the windows.. so it might be related to the authentication thing...

And per the reply to that post.. Ive already double checked every file has been uploaded...

Coder
Coder
[]BryanDS said:
And.. on top of everything else.. the same as the other post in this forum..

Ive got that nifty lil page that has windows within windows asking me to authenticate..

BUT .. It seems to bring those up if I type my admin password in the windows.. so it might be related to the authentication thing...

And per the reply to that post.. Ive already double checked every file has been uploaded... [/]

I got the same thing. Josh said to make sure I uploaded all the files. I checked and a few were missing too. For some reason when I uploaded all the new files, the ftp kept hanging on some image files.

I uploaded everything again and it worked perfect.

Still not working..

Would it be plausible to delete everything except the config main and theme files and re-upload..

And still have it keep my db info?

Sponsored Links
Yes it would. The config file is what holds your config info like db stuff. If you have backups of those 3 files, you can wipe out your threads folder, recreate it, then upload your 6.5 files and then overwrite those 3 in the includes folder and BAM!

Don't I make it sound simple?

Thanks slayer..

Will try it..

Only concievable problem at this point is that at one point during all of this, I just told it to do a new install..

It said createtable had already been run.. and wouldnt let me continue..

Any thoughts?

TO ALL: Thank you so much for helping me blunder through this. Never had this much trouble with a threads install/upgrade before.. Guess there is always a first time :-)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
My gut would be that not all the files are uploaded. Particularly if you're getting that window inside of a window thing.

You can't do a new install, as the tables already exits. So it won't let you. No harm done there in trying. But once you get all the files uploaded, the upgrade should be simple.

Uh oh..

I had re-loaded the entire downloaded zip of UBB files again 4 times without success.. Even going so far as to do them one at a time..

And I just toasted all my files and re-uploaded everything..

Is there any possible way to now recover my previous databases from the past 3 years? (I backed them up, they *should* still be there...

Coder
Coder
hmmm.

If you never wipe out your sql database, it will always keep the info. the config file can always be hand coded if you can remember what it was set to. I had to edit one before. its not pretty or fun but it worked.

Sponsored Links
ahh.. I should clarify.

I have the config, main, and theme files backed up..

Its just that if I re-install the files (which I have).. the createtables wont work because the SQL files already exist..

How do I keep my DB info, and still add/modify the correct tables?

(And trust me, if my non profit had the money to pay someone to do this right now, we would.. but we dont.. so Im stuck trying to fix it)

Last edited by BryanDS; 09/23/2004 4:32 PM.
Coder
Coder
after you upload all the new files. put your "original" config, main, and theme back into the includes folder. (it should say do you want to overwrite them. say yes.) then you go to www.yoursite.com/install and click on update .. follow the dir through the rest and your in like flynn.

there are a few "quirks" still. if you see them you will know. there is a fix for them so far.

Got that far at this point..

Still not able to authenticate to upgrade..

It will accept any username, and actually start the upgrade.. but if you put a password.. or try the actuall main login (mine) it will not accept it, and keeps coming back to the login screen.

It will go to the check files screen, and the language change screen..

But keeps going back to the login when I try to do anything else.

This is on a fresh install at this point..

Last edited by BryanDS; 09/23/2004 5:35 PM.
Coder
Coder
Mine did exactly that. At that point it was a permissions thing. is it giving you errors on top of the page?

No, thats the odd thing.

www.dancesafe.org/ubbthreads/install/upgrade.php

Go for it.. you cant really hurt anything right now anyways..

It wont login with anything that uses a password

But if you put in *any* name.. it starts to go, but always comes back to the login.

Would this qualify for "advanced support" from infopop?

I simply cant figure this out.. And I think everyone has about played out there ideas ... Unless there is anything else I can do...

At this point Ive loaded every file one by one, and checked every permission file by file.. I simply dont know what else to do.

Coder
Coder
Not to sound like a broken record, but That was me a few hours ago. I had the same exact same thing happent to me. If I remember correcrtly, I set permissions to everythgin in the install file to 777 (since it was goig to be deleted anyways) when you are putting in your name and password, its not remembering it. Just like you dont have permissions to write to the file.

If you cant get it I would go through support to see what they say.

[]DrChaos said:

If you cant get it I would go through support to see what they say. [/]

Done.. had to. Thanks for all your suggestions !

Veteran
Veteran
Silly question - but is the authentication looking for user number 1?? If it is and will not use a different user number, then maybe your admin login is not user number 1?

Just a thought - used to always apply, and might not now - but if it does, then worth checking....

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
My login worked for my upgrade and I'm user 4 with admin rights. The Admin account has never been used on my boards. So I don't think it's looking for user 1.

Fixed!

Apparently something was up with the authentication info in my DB.. The infopop folks logged in and fixed it..

Everything seems to work great.. except now when I try to get into display settings from my home.. I get this

Script: /sky/www/dancesafe.org/html/ubbthreads/editdisplay.php
Line#: 269
SQL Error: Unknown column 'U_ProfileHash' in 'field list'
SQL Error #: 1054
Query: UPDATE w3t_Users SET U_ProfileHash='fbf8ad581dd9876df5b70d2726bab902' WHERE U_Number='2'

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Looks like an interim 6.4.x altertables was missed...

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63