Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kahuna
Kahuna
so, over the past weekend, my entire mysql database was deleted. the culprit? lunarpages.com

it seems they had some sorta glitches that resulted in the loss of a few dozen mysql databases, and the corruption of a few hundred more. they then said they also couldn't provide me with their backup, because that was also corrupt. thus, i was flat out of luck (because, of course, they offered no refund or compensation of any kind).

i have my own personal backup, but its a few weeks old and, essentially, useless in a few freelance projects i've been working on, and i'd never intend to be as crappy to my clients as this web host was to me.

regardles... i'm looking for a new web host.

i've had and hated aplus. i've had and hated powweb. and, now, i've formally had my fill of lunar pages.

while looking for lunarpages a few months back, i was told to stay away from the "mass host" type places, and look for something a little smaller. i liked the advice, but was seduced by lunar's tempting prices and cheap services. you get what you pay for, i guess!!

so, where SHOULD i be looking?

my minimum requirements are:
25 GB monthly bandwith
500 MB storage
100 MB mysql space (my backed up ubb.threads database is about 50 mb)
SPEED - gotta be fast and smooth
cpanel

thats all i can think of that i prioritize. i've been spending about $10 per month, but for something much more reliable and faster (etc), i'd be willing to stretch that to 20-25 ... possibly more.

advice is GREATLY appreciated
SPEED!

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Infopop does webhosting - however they don't offer CPanel to my knowledge.

The hosting company Jeremy and I own does! We have lots of threads users who can probably give you a recommendation - including Allen, Nikos, DonJulio, dman, oceanwest and more. We probably host 30+ UBB.Threads sites for ThreadsDev users.

Our plans are located here:
http://www.vertexhost.com/shared.html

We keep 3 backup sets - on a second drive. A daily, weekly and monthly.

And for some of my threads consulting clients I keep a MySQL database backup (nightly) on a remote server in a different data center just for added measure.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I'll recommend Vertexhost. The 500MB of space and 25GB of bandwidth is exactly what the Executive plan offers. That's only $24.95 per month. They don't have a separate SQL disk space available, but you can see from the control panel (CPanel) how much of your total disk space is being allocated to MySQL databases.

I have the Advanced Plan and that one has 1000MB of space and 30GB of data transfer. That plan is $39.95 per month.

BTW, if you go with them, go snooping around FusionBB's web page because a bird flew into my window and told me you can find a 10% off promotional coupon you can use when you open a new account @ Vertexhost.com.

I've been very happy with the speed and reliability of their new servers they have

Addict
Addict
If you are not considering Infopop's services (fast and worry free) I suggest Hosting4less.com

"As your website grows in popularity you may need more storage space and monthly transfer. Our middle of the road shared hosting plan more than doubles the disk space to 800MB and more than doubles your monthly allotted traffic to 40GB. Need not to worry the price is neither tripled nor doubled, it is marginally increased to $24.95 a month."

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
The only reason I would get Infopop's web hosting is to get UBB.x, Chime and Thrive. You can't get them any other way. But if you don't want those and instead want to use UBB.threads, you may find Infopop's prices to be a bit...lofty.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
And they don't use Cpanel - which he posted as a requirement.

I've used 100megswebhosting for a few years now, and for what you get (compared to what you pay), it really is not a bad deal at all. I have a few accounts there (yes, I resell to myself), and they just doubled their storage limits.

Course if you go there...let me know ahead of time

Power User
Power User
Do they have cpanel and WHM? Have they been reliable for you?

Ironically yes, they have been reliable, and it has surprised me for the price I pay. There is the minimal downtime associated with any host provider, but it is minimal, or has been in my case. IE a minute or two every month or two.

The one thing I have appreciated is that they have always given me excellent customer service. And yes, CPanel for everyone, and WHM for resellers.

I highly recommend vertex hosting.. support coming from people who make there living using what your looking for.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

Yeah, the vertex servers have to run Threads well or all my sites are down too.

Addict
Addict
Checkout Hosting4Less.com

Hosting4less Hosting:

* Basic Shared Hosting Plan:
Our basic shared hosting plan is perfect way to get your website started on the Web. Offering 200MB of storage and 15GB of monthly transfer for only $14.95 a month. This package offers an extremely cost effective way of having a good presence on the Internet.

* Professional Shared Hosting Plan:
As your website grows in popularity you may need more storage space and monthly transfer. Our middle of the road shared hosting plan more than doubles the disk space to 800MB and more than doubles your monthly allotted traffic to 40GB. Need not to worry the price is neither tripled nor doubled, it is marginally increased to $24.95 a month.

* Developer Shared Hosting Plan:
This is our most advanced shared hosting package for our power web masters. Offering 1GB of storage and 50GB of monthly transfer you can have a website hosting package able to support well over 2 million hits per month to your site, and the price for the developer shared hosting plan is only $34.95 per month.

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Josh,

I am thinking of changing my host. And I am seriously considering using vertex hosting for simple reason that I will be hosting my thread site and you people are into threads so you know your stuff should things for haywire

Now not only that,I also want to upgrade my threads to the latest version as well at the moment I am using 6.3

How much would you charge me for the whole process, i.e.:

1) Change over the server to yours
2) setup it up
3) upgrading to the latest threads, hopefull including the standard hacks?

Would I get a discount ?

oopse I forot to mention the plan, I am interested in the "ADVANCE PLAN"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63