Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Journeyman
Journeyman
My forum is a non-profit, non-commericial forum with no banners and I'd like to stay that way. But I do have some of expenses (hosting, ubbthreads license, advertising (small scale), design improvements etc.), so I've put a small "paypal donate" link on the buttom (see http://www.mimf.dk ), but I'm worried that people will percieve it as some sort of "begging", I don't see it that way myself, but would not like if others thought so. Also, I wouldn't like my regular users to feel "forced" into donating.

hmmm....what are your takes on this problem?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Many times people do not understand the costs associated with running a website. They think because the internet is "free" that your site must be free to you as well.

So if you have an established member base - if you explain to them that there are costs associated with running the community. They are usually willing to help you out. My experience is surprisingly so.

And it works even better if you offer special features, perks or recognition to users who support you. Even a different color name or special title will make them feel very special for helping you out.

Magle, I had the same delima when I first put up a donate link as well. Nobody complained and I got a few donations, I think that people really do understand that there are costs involved in your site, not just in money, but time as well.

Of course on a musician site, like mine, they are poor by nature so I don't expect much but every little bit helps. I also offer a couple of extras as Josh mentioned such as the ability to change their title and avatar. There are plenty of group based mods for that around here if you dig a little.

Overall, I really don't think people mind, I have had a couple of questions on it and when those come up I don't mind sharing how much money I have put into my site. That usually puts any questions regarding small, optional donation requests to rest.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
And myPaymentPal (from www.ThreadsAddons.com ) can help automate payment collection for you.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks Josh and Eric, makes me feel better about it. When my site grows bigger, I'll look into implementing your PaymentPal, Josh. (Right now I think it would be overkill )

Now, my dillema is: should I make a post on my forum and explain to my regular users why I've added the paypal link (such a thread could might be percieved as a slight pressure) or should I just let them figure it out themselfs and let them ask the questions? what would you suggest?

As you can see I'm quite sensitive of this subject - don't want to drive anyone away from my forum now it's just starting to pick up speed

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I would make a post about it and state the facts about the cost of running the site.

Stress that the forum will remain to be free for all to use and enjoy.

Then something like:

Anyone who enjoys the site and would like to contribute to the operation of the site - your help would be appreciated. Any donation helps reduce the out of pocket costs.

Anyone who contributes ANY amount will get a "Sponsor" title or whatever.

When you leave it up for them to decide what the site is worth to them... you just might be surprised. On a support site I take care of, we did something similar. Yes, we got $5 and $10 contributions which are great. But we also got surprises of an occational $100 or even $500 donation. Sometimes you might be surprised what your site and your community is worth to some people.

But pointing it out is the way that
a) people know they can donate and help
b) you can counteract the "what's this site coming to" by stating the reasons and that your intent is that it will alway be free, contribution is voluntary.
c) You can tell them what supporters get.

On the one site I took care of - we had "SOS Sponsors". SOS stood for Save our Site. You'd be surprised how many people want the SOS Sponsor title once they start seeing others with them.

And again - it doesn't matter if they give $5 or $500 - nobody but you knows.

Above that - some sites do a bronze/silver/gold type of thing, with different donation levels.

One more tip - if you're creating buttons in paypal - you can create a freeform donation button. But don't sell yourself short. Create a $5, $10, $15 whatever RECURRING button. As in $5 per month. People will do it once and forget until you remind them, but I found many people want to regularly contribute a small amount. And the paypal recurring payments/subscriptions is a great way to do it.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks for that good advice Josh!

I think I'll go for the "subscription" model. So far I've added a subscription button (3 euro/month), though I may remove it for the moment and bring it back when the forum is about the double of the current size (with the current speed of new members that should be within 2-3 months). When I bring it back I'll implement titles etc. and make a sticky post explaining the situation.

User
User
Frederik

My site is paid for by sponsors... er.. advertisers, but even before we started the sponsorship program people on the most part understood that there are costs associated with providing them with a service. Unless they are really naive or have only been on the web once or twice before, or maybe been living under a rock somewhere for the past few years, they will be very open to the idea of pitching in to support the site and service that you provide for them.

There are going to be a few naysayers, but they will actually help you out because the ones who want to contribute but need a push will get PUSHED over the edge when the naysayers pipe up. On our site it happens every time. Someone says something about "those silly banners and sponsored by links" I post a reply just reminding people about the costs of providing a kick ass service and forum for them and almost immediately someone else chimes in about invaluable its been for them. Next thing you know, your activity in the forums goes way up and the on-the-fence contributors click that "donate here" button.

Be open about it. Post a message about a subscription option, and explain that "if you like what you get here and would like to help keep it going CLICK HERE." You should also ask what extra things people would like to see as a paid subscriber. One of the premium options can even be to be on your Member Advisory Board. They pay to give you idea

Lurker
Lurker
Hey you can't even hardly tell it's a donation button anymore. It's there for option.. no one has to pay anything so they should understand. However, I do understand the idea that it could be bad taste.. I used to have one up on mine when it first started.

http://www.geekBlue.net

hey I would agree with josh, just make a statement of why you have it there and as an outsider I dont think people will take it that way. I am new to all this and just giving a point from someone who doesnt know anything and taking a look and I would not of thought that.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849