Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
This is a little odd... I have an ex-moderator who tells me she keeps getting emailed subscriptions from my private moderator forum. I had removed her from the control panel, and I wouldn't have known about this unless she told me.

I checked her user record with phpMyAdmin, and she only belongs to group -3-, the Users group. I checked her subscriptions through the control panel, and she has none. She isn't listed as being moderator of any forum; can someone help me track this down and put a stake through its heart?

I changed the email address on her old account, and now I can see all the bounced emails that would have gone to her. I'm concerned about ex-members of other of my private forums receiving subscriptions as well. What can I do to find out?

UBB.threads™ 6.4.1
http://foolmoon.com

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
I would check the Table w3t_Subscribe and see if her U_number is in the S_Uid do a

SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM w3t_Subscribe
WHERE S_Uid = 'whatever her number is'

and see if the count returns anything,

Thanks for replying, scroungr.

The count returned "1". Advice on how to get her out of there...?

Old Hand
Old Hand
so shes in there well I would make sure with one of the Guru's here like Josh or Omego but if you backed up the database you could deleting her from the subscriptions but I am not sure of the reprocussions so I would check with them before you do. but if you have PhPMyAdmin loaded on your box you could go take a look at the table, there are 3 fields to it..

S_Uid
S_Board
S_Last

I know that
S_Uid = U_Number or the Usersnumber
and
S_Board = B_Board or the Board they have subscriptions to..

I would try and only try once ya have a backup of your database to delete her record from that table. BUT I would seek the guidance of someone here who is more versed in the subscriptions since I do not use them on my boards.

Well, I browsed the w3t_Subscribe table, and her user number wasn't in there, and I'm completely stumped... it's voodoo I think.

Any other thoughts...?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
if that count showed 0 I would say it wasn't but you said it showed a count of 1? so it must be there somwehere.. do a

SELECT S_Uid
FROM w3t_Subscribe
WHERE S_Uid = 'whatever her number is'

Login as the user, and unsubscribe to forums?

Tried that, there were no subscriptions showing.

Well, I got impatient and just deleted the user name from the control panel, and that has stopped the emails. But I'm concerned that it may happen again, I have some sensitive private forums, and once people leave them, it would be damaging to the people posting if the ex-member could read new posts.

The user was most definitely only in group -3-.

Old Hand
Old Hand
yeah but if the user was left in the subscriptions for that board in the subscriptions table.. i know there were some issues with the subsciption.php

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm thinking that it might be a bug. I had an admin that resigned and yet although he wasn't shown as an admin or a moderator any longer, he still had privs for the moderator forum. I had to run a command to manually take him out of the group. I thought it might have been one of the mods that I had installed but after reading this, maybe not. Could she still see the forum or did she just get the subscriptions?

dman, yes, I think it's a bug too.

This former mod could not see the private moderator's forum, and I checked to make sure she was only in group three.

She did have an entry in the subscriptions tables for that forum, even though she had been removed from that group (moderator status revoked via control panel).

I manually deleted the record in the subscription table, and I think that may have done the trick. So, when someone is removed from a group, there seems to be something wrong, the group-change routine should check for subscriptions to no-longer accessible forums, I think.

Thanks to all who replied.

I have experienced this issue as well. It appears that when you remove a member from a group, it leaves thier subscriptions untouched. I had to reassign my user to the group that had access to the board in question to be able to unsubscribe her from that forum. I thought that it was probally due to the instant subscriptions mod that I had installed, but know I think that it may be a bug.

Does anyone have an unhacked board that they can test this on?
I am currently running 6.3.1.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Are you sure it was "subscriptions" like from the subscriptions.php script vs. Threads that she'd added to her favorites?

If you remove access to a forum, I'm not sure, but I think their favorites remain unchanged as it would be pretty complicaed to check every favorte against what forum it's in.

If she had email replies to favorite threads, she might still get those. In that case, she'd have to remove the favorite from myhome.

I know that in my case it was subscpritions. When I gave the permissions back, the "S" radio button was filled in. When I select "U" and took her perms away again, she no longer recieved the emails.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63