Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A few users of my boards are having a problem lately that I have run out of ideas on what might be wrong and where to look to try to fix it.

Running 6.4.1, with IIP 5.4.4, Sidebar Pal, and a few other mods. Everything worked flawlessly before I upgraded to 6.4.1 and installed IIP and Sidebar Pal (was running 6.4 with a few mods prior to that, and the only changes since then are the upgrade to 6.4.1 and the installation of IIP and Sidebar Pal).

A FEW users (only two that I'm sure of right now) are able to see and read the forums . . . but cannot post, and cannot send PMs. They can hit a reply link, or a new thread link, or a send a PM link, and get the text entry form, and type things in, but once they hit Submit (or well, I guess, "Continue"), it just refreshes the page with entirely blank entry boxes again, and doesn't actually post anything.

I've logged in as them with "Become this user" and tried to post something, and was unable to do so. Once I log out and log back in as myself, everything works fine for me - and it's working fine for the majority of my users.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this one? Anyone seen something similar before?

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Can you provide the html code of the "new thread" or "reply" page?
Use the "become this user" function and copy the source code of the page.

Ok. I've attached it to this post as a text file for the new post page's source.

Also, from the sql error logs, I've seen this pop up:

Thu, Feb 12 2004 16:40:30 -0700 /forums/viewmessage.php Chief_Boats
Unable to do_query: UPDATE w3t_Messages SET M_Status = ' ' WHERE M_Uid = '374' AND M_Number = - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 4
Attachments
107890-newpost_source.txt (0 Bytes, 37 downloads)

Addict
Addict
I can't find an error there.
But you modified these templates. You may want to try it with a clean copy and see if the problem resides.

Thing is . . . it works for nearly all the users. I don't understand at all why it's not working for these TWO.

Which templates would I need to replace with stock copies to give it a try?

Sponsored Links
It almost appears to me that for those users, something is missing in their profile that is causing this...

That error message you listed says it can't update w3t_Messages because one of the variables is empty looks like.

But I'm no expert. I just wonder if they have an empty field in their info that's required.

Addict
Addict
Is "Chief_Boats" one of the users who have problems?

Templates would be "newpost.tmpl" for starting a new thread and "newreply" for replies.

Can you perfom this sql command and post the results?

Select * from w3t_Users where U_Username = "Chief_Boats";

Yes, Chief_Boats is one of the two who are having this problem.

Here's the results of that query. Not sure how to format it better to display here, as UBB.Threads returns a table:

Results from your SQL command

U_Username U_Password U_Email U_Fakeemail U_Name U_Totalposts U_Laston U_Signature U_Homepage U_Occupation U_Hobbies U_Location U_Bio U_Status U_Sort U_Display U_View U_PostsPer U_Number U_EReplies U_Notify U_TextCols U_TextRows U_Extra1 U_Extra2 U_Extra3 U_Extra4 U_Extra5 U_Registered U_Preview U_Picture U_PictureView U_Visible U_PicturePosts U_AcceptPriv U_RegEmail U_RegIP U_Groups U_Language U_Title U_FlatPosts U_TempPass U_Color U_TempRead U_StyleSheet U_TimeOffset U_Privates U_FrontPage U_ActiveThread U_StartPage U_Favorites U_ShowSigs U_OnlineFormat U_Rating U_Rates U_RealRating U_PicWidth U_PicHeight U_Palprofile U_SessionId U_Approved U_LoginName U_AdminEmails U_EmailFormat U_WhichForums U_Categories U_PrivateModeration U_BirthMonth U_BirthDayOLD U_BirthYear U_Banned U_CoppaUser U_Birthday U_ShowBday U_TimeFormat U_Ignored U_OC_Userid U_ProfileHash U_LastSeen U_SideBar
Chief_Boats 8992ed9031aa3841ac40154b4611542e [][email protected][/] 0 1076703375 User 5 flat collapsed 20 374 Off 1076489666 on http:// on yes on yes [][email protected][/] 12.219.83.78 -3-6- english Static Defender 20 deluviangreen 0 0 ubbthreads 0 cp - yes yes 0 0 0 yes Chief_Boats On plaintext all - no 0 0 0 0 6b15392bbde21a461bf52e375cfbe065 1

or as a table HTML code:
<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%" class="tableborders">
<tr><td class=darktable>U_Username</td><td class=darktable>U_Password</td><td class=darktable>U_Email</td><td class=darktable>U_Fakeemail</td><td class=darktable>U_Name</td><td class=darktable>U_Totalposts</td><td class=darktable>U_Laston</td><td class=darktable>U_Signature</td><td class=darktable>U_Homepage</td><td class=darktable>U_Occupation</td><td class=darktable>U_Hobbies</td><td class=darktable>U_Location</td><td class=darktable>U_Bio</td><td class=darktable>U_Status</td><td class=darktable>U_Sort</td><td class=darktable>U_Display</td><td class=darktable>U_View</td><td class=darktable>U_PostsPer</td><td class=darktable>U_Number</td><td class=darktable>U_EReplies</td><td class=darktable>U_Notify</td><td class=darktable>U_TextCols</td><td class=darktable>U_TextRows</td><td class=darktable>U_Extra1</td><td class=darktable>U_Extra2</td><td class=darktable>U_Extra3</td><td class=darktable>U_Extra4</td><td class=darktable>U_Extra5</td><td class=darktable>U_Registered</td><td class=darktable>U_Preview</td><td class=darktable>U_Picture</td><td class=darktable>U_PictureView</td><td class=darktable>U_Visible</td><td class=darktable>U_PicturePosts</td><td class=darktable>U_AcceptPriv</td><td class=darktable>U_RegEmail</td><td class=darktable>U_RegIP</td><td class=darktable>U_Groups</td><td class=darktable>U_Language</td><td class=darktable>U_Title</td><td class=darktable>U_FlatPosts</td><td class=darktable>U_TempPass</td><td class=darktable>U_Color</td><td class=darktable>U_TempRead</td><td class=darktable>U_StyleSheet</td><td class=darktable>U_TimeOffset</td><td class=darktable>U_Privates</td><td class=darktable>U_FrontPage</td><td class=darktable>U_ActiveThread</td><td class=darktable>U_StartPage</td><td class=darktable>U_Favorites</td><td class=darktable>U_ShowSigs</td><td class=darktable>U_OnlineFormat</td><td class=darktable>U_Rating</td><td class=darktable>U_Rates</td><td class=darktable>U_RealRating</td><td class=darktable>U_PicWidth</td><td class=darktable>U_PicHeight</td><td class=darktable>U_Palprofile</td><td class=darktable>U_SessionId</td><td class=darktable>U_Approved</td><td class=darktable>U_LoginName</td><td class=darktable>U_AdminEmails</td><td class=darktable>U_EmailFormat</td><td class=darktable>U_WhichForums</td><td class=darktable>U_Categories</td><td class=darktable>U_PrivateModeration</td><td class=darktable>U_BirthMonth</td><td class=darktable>U_BirthDayOLD</td><td class=darktable>U_BirthYear</td><td class=darktable>U_Banned</td><td class=darktable>U_CoppaUser</td><td class=darktable>U_Birthday</td><td class=darktable>U_ShowBday</td><td class=darktable>U_TimeFormat</td><td class=darktable>U_Ignored</td><td class=darktable>U_OC_Userid</td><td class=darktable>U_ProfileHash</td><td class=darktable>U_LastSeen</td><td class=darktable>U_SideBar</td></tr><tr><td valign=top class=lighttable>Chief_Boats</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>8992ed9031aa3841ac40154b4611542e</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>[email protected]</td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable>0</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>1076703375</td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable>User</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>5</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>flat</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>collapsed</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>20</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>374</td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable>Off</td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable>1076489666</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>on</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>http://</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>on</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>yes</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>on</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>yes</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>[email protected]</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>12.219.83.78</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>-3-6-</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>english</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>Static Defender</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>20</td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable>deluviangreen</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>0</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>0</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>ubbthreads</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>0</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>cp</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>-</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>yes</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>yes</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>0</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>0</td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable>0</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>yes</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>Chief_Boats</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>On</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>plaintext</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>all</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>-</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>no</td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable>0</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>0</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>0</td><td valign=top class=lighttable>0</td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable>6b15392bbde21a461bf52e375cfbe065</td><td valign=top class=lighttable></td><td valign=top class=lighttable>1</td></tr></tr></table></td></tr></table>

After sorting through stuff, I've found why it's not working . . . but I'm not sure where to look in the PHP code to fix it.

What's happening is that, somehow, the U_Name field in w3t_Users is ending up empty, set as a null value.

Where should I look to find where this is touched on during registration (and possibly approval) to ensure that this is getting set properly?

Uhm . . . anyone with any help on this?

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
look back at the mods you have added and look for anything that changes the initial INSERT. I think that INSERT is in the Login.php

coffee and code
coffee and code
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person going crazy with this problem...

it only occurred in while creating replies - they complained about not being able to write PM, but that was BS since the actual error was found in "addpost.php" and not any other module.

After I solved the problem, they still complained. Then I told them to clear their cache & cookies - they never saw the problem again

http://www.celicahobby.com/ubbthreads/thread.f_111951_0_collapsed_5__1.html

in "ADDPOST.PHP"

find
Code
<br />if ( (!preg_match("/\S/",$Subject)) || ($Body == "") || ($postername == "") || ($TempString == "") ) {<br />

replace with
Code
<br />if ( (preg_match("/^\s*$/",$Subject)) || ($postername == "") || ($TempString == "") ) {<br />

** The check for $Body is redundant with $TempString... so I removed it

** The $Subject match string has been slightly modified to reflect the changes in UBBT 6.4's code

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
I'm having fits on this. Almost every new user that registers is unable to submit anything - make posts, send private messages, or even update their profiles. Clearly, something's not getting properly set when they register, but I'm not familiar enough with the registration process that I don't know which files to scour. I don't remember any of the mods I've done touching on registration stuff either.

Old Hand
Old Hand
is it browser specific?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
What exactly makes you think that it's the U_Name field (this is their real name)? That field isn't required and it's not used during registration.

Or did you mean U_Username (that's the display name you see online).

When you upgraded to 6.4.1 did you upgrade ALL scripts (I believe the changedfiles.txt file was missing a few files).

[]JoshPet said:
What exactly makes you think that it's the U_Name field (this is their real name)? That field isn't required and it's not used during registration.

Or did you mean U_Username (that's the display name you see online).

When you upgraded to 6.4.1 did you upgrade ALL scripts (I believe the changedfiles.txt file was missing a few files). [/]

I'm not sure it's that field. It seemed to be missing, and I added it for a few users, and they then seemed to be able to post.

When I upgraded, I believe I took Beyond Compare and compared my existing install of a modified 6.4 to the clean 6.4.1 and examined files with differences, as well as manually consulting the changedfiles.txt. There is a small possibility something may have been missed.

[]scroungr said:
is it browser specific? [/]

Hmm. Doubtful, as if it affects someone, it prevents them from posting on their account on any system, whereas I can post fine on my account, but if I become that user, I cannot post. I'll try it under one of the Mozilla variants and see if it makes any difference.

Old Hand
Old Hand
ok I would try beyone again cause I been trying it on several boards with no issues

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I would try stock scripts for a bit - and see if that fixes the problem. You probably missed something in doing beyond compare. There were some new security checks in place for 6.4.1 and such - so you'd want to make sure you had everthing correct.

I've run through another beyond compare session . . . I unzipped a fresh copy of 6.4.1, and then downloaded a fresh copy of the forum from the site (not that I don't already have the same code, in theory, locally, but it never hurts to be -sure-). Went through and changed every little single bit of difference between the fresh and the live code other than things I know are changes from specific mods - even little things like there being or not being a couple of trailing spaces after something.

I *think* I've got it fixed, as I just made a new user account and was able to post (and tried both Mozilla and IE6) fine. I'm waiting to hear back from a few users who have been having problems.

If this does fix it . . . good, but I'm also going to be extremly annoyed. NOTHING in ANY of the differences leapt up to me as something that seemed like the likely cause for this problem. I'd have been happier going through everything, then finding one thing and thinking "Oh, that's the problem, I'm such an idiot." I hate it when things are fixed but I don't understand WHY.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Myteries of the unknown.

We've all been there.

I hate it when I can only treat the symptom, but not be able to find the cause. But, it seems to happen alot.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63