Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What is it: Alll the files that you need to integrate Jpilot chat on your UBB Threads forum, including the Jpilot chat scripts (included with this add on with the permission of the developer).

The script will only allow registered users of your forum to use the chat. If you want it to be open for everyone on your site let me know and I'll post a version of the script that has no limitations.

Follow the instructions in the zip file closely! If you don't want to edit the template then follow the directory structure that I used. I've included not only the instructions for this add on, but the instructions that come with the Jpilot applet as well as a few example html files (located in the chat directory). The html files are not needed for the add on, but they do provide good examples of how to configure the Jpilot chat applet. All of the configuration options for this add on are in the templates/default/chat.tmpl file.

If you want to register the script go to www.jpilot.com and purchase a licenece (only $49 USD). They also have an online manual so you can configure the options for the applet. I have it scaled down to only what is needed for your registered users to chat.
Attachments
107362-Jpilot_Chat.zip (0 Bytes, 48 downloads)

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
If you want it to use your threads username change:

<param name="RealName" value="$irc_nick">
<param name="NickName" value="$irc_nick">
<param name="UserName" value="$irc_nick">

To:

<param name="RealName" value="$Username">
<param name="NickName" value="$Username">
<param name="UserName" value="$Username">

Least that was what I did, on mine.

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Check the script JC: I use a simple search and replace command to convert the spaces in user names to undescores. IRC doesn't like spaces in nicknames...

Pssst: That was the reason why I wrote it the way that I did. You might want to change things back to the way I wrote them before someone complains that the chat on your site is broken...

HMM Nice Dal I have been using the exact same coded chat just like this one for a long while as I have always used Jpilot.

I guess JC missed this one

// --------------------
//Replace spaces with underscore cause irc doesn't like spaces in nicknames
$irc_nick = str_replace(' ', '_', $Username);

Addict
Addict
Yeah I was tired, ...LOL Actually I was thinking about dropping jpilot and using the one ICQ offers for free. Dunno, anyone try it yet?

Last edited by J.C.; 02/08/2004 5:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
You know I love my Jpilot chat.

Addict
Addict
Jpilot works great, I just get bored and like playing with new toys. My site being more of a live demo, the chatroom is really there for looks, and example purposes only.

- Custom Web Development
I haven't tried the one ICQ offers. Is there any spyware in it?

I just installed this mod and it looks great, i just have two questions.

1. how do i add it in so that it would display that the user is in the chat room when viewed in the online page.

2. Does anyone have any recomendations on how I should go about getting my own server up for this to connect to.

[]IOGCadam said:
I just installed this mod and it looks great, i just have two questions.

1. how do i add it in so that it would display that the user is in the chat room when viewed in the online page.
[/]

That was part of a mod that Josh did for another chat application. It works by using a pop up, and since most people block them (especially on a geek site like the one I run) I didn't include it. I don't remember what hack it was a part of (help me out here Josh ).
[]IOGCadam said:

2. Does anyone have any recomendations on how I should go about getting my own server up for this to connect to. [/]

Sure, it's a piece of cake if you:

1) Have a static IP address, or you know how to use some of the sites tat let you manage your own DNS entries so you can change the resolution for your chat server whan your IP address changes.

2) Your ISP allows you to run a server -some don't...

3) You're comfortable setting up Linux or Free BSD as your operating system for the IRC server. You could also use Windows if you have a licence for Exchange -Microsoft includes a chat server on the Exchange install CD.

For more info go to my site, register a user name, and post any questions you still have. I'd rather do tech support on Da LAN Tech

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
IOGCadam, try adding the chatroom page name to your online.php language page.

- Custom Web Development

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63