Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I would imagine none, but I want to ask anyways. I have this usergroup called "News" which I never used which was assigned G_Id 5, being the first group I had ever created. I want to create a new group, but I also want to delete this group. But later I read that Rick strongly reccomends against deleting groups. So what if I renmae "News" through PHPMyAdmin to something else? Will there be any problems w/ that?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You can rename the group as the name means nothing - it's only seen by you.

DON'T delete the group - as there will be complications. Just rename it to "unused" until you need it again.

6.4 has the ability to 'inactivate' a group - but even 6.4 does not delete it.

You don't need to use phpMyAdmin to rename it... just rename it from the admin menu.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
well if you want to delete it.....

Feel free.....

I had two clients and several billable hours figuring out glitches after a group was deleted.

so I personally don't mind. LOL

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Thanks Josh. I never ever planned on deleteing the user group, but I didn't want to create another one if there was a way of recycling this one. Thanks!

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
But if I wanted to delete it, what do I have to avoid?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Dont' delete it.

Or if you do, make sure you hire me to fix it.

In 6.4 you can disable (delete) the group from the admin panel.... it gets tagged for later use.

[]JoshPet said:
Dont' delete it.

Or if you do, make sure you hire me to fix it.

In 6.4 you can disable (delete) the group from the admin panel.... it gets tagged for later use. [/]

That should say 6.5 instead of 6.4.

I know its not my post.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
No - it's a feature of 6.4

Under Group Management -> Delete a Group.

So as long as you do it through the admin panel, there are no problems. Just don't go into phpMyAdmin and actually DELETE it. The 6.4 delete function doesn't really delete it, it just provisions it for later use.

this is strange.
I am not doubting what you are saying Josh But, I have used threads for a long time (since 1999 I think) and I have over that time actually dleted many groups. the Key I always made sure that the group was empty before I deleted them and no forums used the group. I can imagine myriad problems if you had users in groups that had been deleted but I do not see where other problems could arise? What sort of problems could you have? In this entire time I have not had database corruption or other database related problems.

Pappy I have done the same. If you have all permissions to a group turned off and that group is not allowed any private forum access - it is not an issue to delete the group.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, generally people delete a group - have all sorts of odd behavior, people can't get access, forums disappear, they can't edit certain forums. Or they can't create a group They hire me to troubleshoot and then eventually remember to tell me that they deleted groups. Then I can track it down.

Rick posts more reasons here:
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Board=modifications&Number=94583

But I strongly discourage people from wanting to dive in and mess with the database when the functions in the admin panel work fine and do it safely. There is no reason to manually delete groups. If you know what you're doing, then fine, but why delete something that doesn't need to be deleted. Use the delete function under the admin panel, then it'll get recycled next time you need a group and you won't run out.

ok GOOD Idea and thanks for the reference Joshpet!
(Now to go in and fix it lol)

Very true Josh - and like you stated, with 6.4 there is now virtually NO reason to delete a group since you can deactivate it.

Old Hand
Old Hand
oh I found out don't try to rename the Administrator or Moderator group cause they don't get mod access after that

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63