Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#257646 08/27/2003 12:11 PM
Addict
Addict
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/08/27/0214238&mode=nocomment&tid=111&tid=126

[]"As of today, Osirusoft, distributer of the SPEWS and open relay blocklists, among others, is no longer operational. Servers using these lists (including the FTC) are currently rejecting ALL email. This shutdown seems to be in response to a several-week-long DDoS attack on Osirusoft, SPEWS and others, resulting in both sites being down. This has caused much discussion on n.a.n-a.e, including the suggestion that the attack is somehow related to the SoBig worm. The spammers must be hurting if they can devote these kinds of resources to attacking blocklists." Read on below a related submission.

NSXDavid writes "Earlier today our site mysteriously ended up on Joe Jared's Osirusoft SPAM blacklist which is used by lots of antispam software (like SpamAssassin and sendmail). Since he is currently under a serious DDoS attack, there was no way to appeal this decision. We contacted Mr. Jared by phone who informed us that 'everyone needs to stop using Osirusoft and that he's going to be shutting the service down.' Then he says he's going to blacklist 'the world' (aka, ban *.*.*.*) to get his point across. Later on this evening, he apparently went ahead and did just that. Succumbing to lawsuits and DDoS, a once great blacklist is dead. SpamAssassin is removing it from their config in the next release (rc3) and email admins around the globe are reconfiguring their mail servers." [/]

So... this is just a PSA to you guys who may be running dedicated servers, especially those which use anti-spam software like SpamAssassin. You may begin having emails bounce or not make it to their destination if you have your spam software set to check RBLs.

So, if you run SpamAssissin, you can edit the config file to turn off RBL checking server-wide. It is usually located here:

/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

Add this line to that file to disable RBL checking
Code
skip_rbl_checks 1

I am not very familiar with other server spam software, so you may need to adjust your config accordingly.

Sponsored Links
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
So that's why SPEWS was blacklisting all my email...
I dont use these on the server side, would hate to do so and once in a while there is good email blacklisted.

Now I've got my email set to go though both ORDB and SpamCop.

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the info Jeremy

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thank you Jeremy!

Do we need to restart the mail server or anything for it to take effect??????

Addict
Addict
I'm not positive on how Exim works in regards to pulling the config information.. but my rule of thumb is after making any config changes, restart the service just incase

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Also.. here is another article about it. May be interesting to some of you

zdnet news article

Last edited by Jeremy; 08/27/2003 5:27 PM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks.

Kahuna
Kahuna
Thanks for the info Jeremy!

Nikos

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63