Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#255064 07/31/2003 1:59 PM
I was planning to get Photopost and went to their website to check it out. I noticed server requirements that I needed to handle it and added them to my configuration. Looking for more info I tried to go to the Photopost Support forum only to find that it was not even visible to non-licensed folks. This concerned me a little and I did some more research and found many complaints about poor customer support from Photopost. I also ran across Albinator, but found it has not been officially "ported" to threads. Has anyone used Albinator with UBB Threads?

Sponsored Links
Aglavalin #255065 07/31/2003 2:14 PM
Addict
Addict
The reason you can't see half of the support forums at photopost is the technical support forums are limited to license holders. This way people using illegal copies of the software cannot get free support on their free software.

Aglavalin #255066 07/31/2003 2:20 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I use photopost on a very active "pay per view" photo site. Over 18,000 photos and millions of views. No problems. I've been very happy with Photopost - in fact my license is up and I'm going to renew it and upgrade tot the latest.

You can't beat the integration with Threads. It works very well.

I've also installed this on a number of client sites and no complaints.

palmen #255067 07/31/2003 2:38 PM
Thanks Jeremy:

[]Jeremy said:
The reason you can't see half of the support forums at photopost is the technical support forums are limited to license holders. This way people using illegal copies of the software cannot get free support on their free software. [/]
I should also note that not all the Albinator forums are visible to non license holders. I guess it's just that I ran across some really strong negative comments about the Photopost support. I also noted that the Photopost server requirements upgrade instructions were limited and basically ended with the comment that if they were insufficient maybe you should pay Photopost to install the program. It reminded me of a short README file I ran across yesterday. It was just a few lines terminating with something to the effect that "If this isn't good enough, you are SOL."

Daine #255068 07/31/2003 2:43 PM
[]JoshPet said:
You can't beat the integration with Threads. It works very well.
[/]
That is unquestionably the greatest selling point. It's clear that Omicron and others have done a lot of work integrating it. Until my post a search for Albinator on either Infopop or threadsdev would come up blank. So, at least for now anyone integrating it would be on their own. It does however seem to be more robust than Photopost, at least from a cursory look. I'm pretty sure I'll get the Photopost and hope I don't need their support.

Sponsored Links
Aglavalin #255069 07/31/2003 2:45 PM
Addict
Addict
check out my site in my sig for an example of threads and photopost integrated.

As far as the somewhat limited instructions, that is due to the nature of the program. The requirements are explicitly stated. You must have MySQL, PHP, ImageMagick or GD, safe mode off, and a few others.

Then in all reality, installing photopost is as simple as uploading the files via FTP, creating a database, editing one config file, and running an install script. Almost every instance of people who have trouble with photopost are from users who did not read the requirements correctly, or they do not have enough knowledge to do simple administrative tasks such as creating a database, CHMODing a directory, etc.

We will provide support for people who need it via the forums and ticket system, and the installation is a last resort. If your system meets the requirements, and you are familiar with PHP scripts, you should not have a problem at all. You just get a few bitter users who are upset because they did not ensure their server has everything it needs, and that we won't hold their hand through every tiny mouse click or give them tutorials on how to use their FTP client

Aglavalin #255070 07/31/2003 3:06 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
The other note - Photopost works with Threads out of the box - it can share the user database and login system without any hacking. The modifications here are cosmetic to share stylesheets etc... but it integrates with the user base wihtout any modifications. That's a standard part of the program.

I don't know where you're hearing negative stuff about their support. But I've never had an issue. I've had a few minor issues/questions that I posted in their forums, and they were answered.

I doubt whether it would be the industry leader that it is if support were that lousy. Install is simple - just about as easy as threads.

Daine #255071 07/31/2003 6:06 PM
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I use photopost and have had no problems. In fact, I'm getting ready to buy 4 more licenses

wilstephens #255072 07/31/2003 8:49 PM
Addict
Addict
I'm getting ready to buy 49 more photopost licenses, along with 50 reviewpost licenses

palmen #255073 07/31/2003 8:57 PM
Addict
Addict
Good golly!!! What for??

Sponsored Links
eslmix #255074 07/31/2003 9:05 PM
Addict
Addict

Can't say quiiiiite yet. But I also have 49 more UBB.threads licenses that are soon to be in the works. Just busy with all of the banks right now and working on funding... bleh.

palmen #255075 07/31/2003 9:13 PM
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Wow Jeremy, we're in the same boat there, I'm buying reviewpost licenses too. Hopefully, all in all I'll have 15 or more of each when I'm finished. Shoot me a pm and let me know what you are doing. Maybe we can share ideas as I'm sure what we're doing is completely different, industry wise.

wilstephens #255076 08/01/2003 8:44 PM
Hacker
Hacker
Besides, you got me right here to help anyone out! lol

I'll admit I get slammed for some of the shortness in my repsonses. I've been working on that and we've brought on new support people and my stress level is much lower. People often mistake my "shortness" as rudeness when I'm just making 30-40 posts a day and keeping it to the basics.

PhotoPost 4.1 in BETA has templates modeled after Threads, too. Most everyone here will tell you I've been involved in Threads long before I got invovled in PhotoPost (in fact, it was my intergation for PP for Threads that introduced me to them).

We have thousands of users. Our keeping the forums for member access is simply our way of staying focused on our customers and not being sidetracked by unlicensed users.

Aglavalin #255077 11/20/2003 12:38 PM
Lurker
Lurker
[]gbmayes said:
I also ran across Albinator, but found it has not been officially "ported" to threads. Has anyone used Albinator with UBB Threads? [/]

This question still has not been answered, ( maybe he shouldn't have mentioned Photopost )
Everyone here "praising" PP because their owner or employee is a member at Ubbthreads.com (?)

I'm interested in knowing if theres a mod/hack in the makings for Albinator also . I have seen way too many complaints about the SUPPORT at Photopost on many Forums , way too many .
[:"purple"]
so is anyone working or have a MOD to intergrate Albinator with UBBThreads ? [/]

Leibx0r #255078 11/20/2003 12:41 PM
Hacker
Hacker
[]I have seen way too many complaints about the SUPPORT at Photopost on many Forums , way too many.[/]

I find this hard to believe (the "way too many" remarks). Sure some rude people get told to back off their attitudes and be respectful in the forums (licenses are not a license to be rude or obscene), but every question gets answered by one of our competent support staff members monitoring the support email system and forums around the clock.

No offemse, but this is your first post on ThreadsDev and this appears to be nothing but a slam on other people's hard work from someone who has no background here and no first hand experience with our company.

Leibx0r #255079 11/20/2003 5:21 PM
[]xfilez said:
This question still has not been answered, ( maybe he shouldn't have mentioned Photopost )
Everyone here "praising" PP because their owner or employee is a member at Ubbthreads.com (?)

I'm interested in knowing if theres a mod/hack in the makings for Albinator also . I have seen way too many complaints about the SUPPORT at Photopost on many Forums , way too many .
[:"purple"]
so is anyone working or have a MOD to intergrate Albinator with UBBThreads ? [/] [/]
Generally, if noone has piped up that they are working on a mod for something(especially if the threads activaty spanned as much time as this thread's has) then the answer is most likely no. You won't see many posts here that involve people saying, "No, I'm not working on that". That seems pretty pointless in a situation like this. It is akin to asking who's missing and someone piping up, "I'm not".

If you really want this integration, then feel free to post the request in the Developer for Hire forum. I'm sure that one of the skilled coders here would be able to take care of the integration if you are willing to commision it.

As to your reference about thier being a connection between Photopost and ubbthreads.com. Those two entities are seperate from this site. While it is true that many community members cruise all three boards, they are all seperate. Threadsdev is community built around customizing UBBThreads. Infopop, aka, ubbthreads.com, doesn't support hacked files. So, clearly there is a difference in the intents of the two sites.

As to Photopost being touted here. Photopost currently has an integration with UBBThreads. There is a demo of the integration here. The integration is free, you just have to pay for Photopost if you want it. For many people this enough to go with Photopost. They're like, hey, I don't have to go through the hassle to integrate this, and I like the program itself.

I don't use Photopost, you don't have to either. I have heard nothing but good things about photopost from those that do use it, and it would probally be my choice if I had a need for its functionality, but you can persue any coarse you wish. That's the great thing about life, Choices.

Have a good one.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63