Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Addict
Addict
Mod Name / Version: Browser Check 1.3.0

Description: This is a standalone script that checks whether the user's browser supports various features used by UBB.threads, and displays the results.

The idea is that if a user if having a problem using UBB.threads, he can run this script to help isolate the problem.

The following client-side features are tested:
Cookies - Cookies can be set and read.
Referrer - The URL of the referring page can be read.
Javascript - Javascript within a web page can be executed.
Javascript read cookie - Cookies can be read using Javascript.
Javascript set cookie - Cookies can be set using Javascript.
Clock - The server and client clocks agree within a specified tolerance.

Working Under: UBB.Threads 6.0-6.1-6.2-6.3

Mod Status: Finished

Any pre-requisites:

Author(s): Dave_L

Date: 07/10/03

Credits:

Files Altered:

New Files: browser_check.php
browser_check.inc.php

Database Altered: No

Info/Instructions: I recommend placing the two files in their own directory, which may be anywhere within the web document tree.

On my server, I placed them in /etc/browser_check/, and added a link to browser_check.php in the header for my feedback/help forum: If you're having problems logging in, making posts, etc., it could be because your browser or firewall settings are too restrictive. This Browser Check may help isolate the problem.

Edit: attachment updated to version 1.0.1 - made downward-compatible with PHP 4.0

Edit: attachment updated to version 1.1.0 - added Javascript cookie tests and clock test, and added a separate configuration file.[i]

[i]Edit: attachment updated to version 1.2.0 - split single referrer test into three tests, changed clock difference display to use appropriate time units, added a few parameters to configuration file.

Edit: attachment updated to version 1.2.1 - Fixed clock difference display to use appropriate time units for negative values.

Edit: attachment updated to version 1.3.0 - Added link to Infopop's Browser Problems article on test results page.

Disclaimer: Please backup every file that you intend to modify.
If the modification modifies the database, it's a good idea to backup your database before doing so.

Note: If you modify your UBB.Threads code, you may be giving up your right for "official" support from Infopop.If you need official support, you'll need to restore unmodified files.
Attachments
88520-browser_check_1-3-0.zip (0 Bytes, 106 downloads)

Last edited by Dave_L; 07/11/2003 9:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the update. Is there any easy way that you know of to add java to this, for those of us, who run chat rooms?

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Addict
Addict
Hmmmm ... I haven't thought about that.

If you can suggest a way of checking whether the browser supports Java applets, I could probably incorporate that.

The way the Javascript check works is that the Javascript sets a form field value, and then the (PHP) script checks whether the field was set.

Would it be possible to write a trivial Java applet that does something similar?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Description:
You must edit browser_check.php file.
After <? add:
Code
 <br />   require ("main.inc.php"); <br />  $html = new html; <br />  $html -> send_header("Browser Check",$Cat,0,""); <br />  $html -> table_header("Browser Check"); <br />  $phpurl = $config['phpurl']; <br />echo <<<END <br /><table width='{$theme['tablewidth']}' align='center' cellpadding='1' cellspacing='1' class='tablesurround'> <br /><tr> <br /><td> <br /><table cellpadding='{$theme['cellpadding']}' cellspacing='{$theme['cellspacing']}' width="100%' class="tableborders'> <br /><tr> <br /><td class='tdheader'> <br />END; <br />

------------
------------
At the end of file, before ?> add:
Code
 <br />echo <<<END <br /></td> <br /></tr> <br /></table> <br /></td> <br /></tr> <br /></table> <br />END; <br />  $html -> send_footer(); <br />

Demo: http://zlosnik.pl/browser_check.php

Addict
Addict
Just noting that Slawek_L's modification embeds the Browser Check into a UBB.threads page by adding the header and footer.

I could incorporate that into the hack, maybe as an option in case you wanted to use the hack with a non-threads application.

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
If you creating sth for ubbthreads it should like as add for ubb. Of course, base of files could be utilize in any application

Addict
Addict
Great Work Dave!

I've integrated this with my contactus.php file at my site. http://www.drumlines.org/threads/contactus.php

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]DLWebmaestro said:
Great Work Dave!

I've integrated this with my contactus.php file at my site. http://www.drumlines.org/threads/contactus.php [/]

Could you tell me what it's mean ???
Attachments
88700-Image2.jpg (0 Bytes, 37 downloads)

Last edited by JoshPet; 07/13/2003 3:19 PM.
What he means if you look at his picture of contactus is he put a link in the template to browser check. I did much the same thing but added a table row to my HOW DO I forum up top to display the browser check link.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I put the browsercheck here - in the footer - for troubleshooting.
Thanks Dave!

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
In English it says "Submit Query"

Pug Offline
Lurker
Lurker
I would like to add the browser check to the bottom of the page also. What file would I have to modify?

You would place a link in ubbt_footer.tmpl

Pug Offline
Lurker
Lurker
Thanks Omegatron

No Problem

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63