Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Addict
Addict
I know there's some info about this here somewhere, but I can't remember where.

I had ActiveState Perl installed on my old PC, so that I could run Perl scripts from the command line.

Now that I have a shiny new PC running Win2K Pro, I'd like to set it up so that I can test web applications, including Perl, PHP and MySQL. In addition, I want to be able to run Perl and PHP scripts from the command line.

What's the simplest way of doing this? Is there a package available that provides all of this in one piece?

Last edited by Dave_L; 07/03/2003 12:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Dave, ActivePerl 5.8.0 build 806 (for Windows) http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Register.plex?id=ActivePerl should give you the command line ability with Perl and will automatically write itself to your path statement (if I remember correctly). I have never played with a command line for php but have never needed to on my Windows server, I just made sure all the proper settings were made in IIS and it's always worked okay for me although I imagaine for what you are doing you will need it

Addict
Addict
Thanks. I know about ActivePerl, and had that on my old PC. But I want to be able to run complete web applications, such as UBB.threads.

Then, won't IIS work. Or, can't you install apache?

If you want to run PHP and Perl etc and web applications I do not know of one package but I have it set up on my Win XP Pro PC. I use ActivePerl, MYSQL server version and PHP. I use IIP but in leiu of that you can of course set up the bin version of APACHE.

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
Dave, you are familiar with Apache already. Go with Apache on your win box, it's almost the same to configure and use.

If you want to test php scripts from command line put #C:\php\php.exe on the top like a perl script. You need to install the .exe to do this of course, in addition to the .dll for Apache. No biggy.

You can also map .php to the executable in your environment settings I'm pretty sure. Not positive on that however.

I don't know of a package that does it all, but then I wouldn't be interested in one so I have not looked.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Veteran
Veteran
Of course you could always dual boot the thing. Or nuke the old machine there at home and repave it with Linux.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Addict
Addict
I use BigApache for testing and developing on my windows box.

BigApache for Windows is a free Enterprise Ready Server. It is suitable for the semiprofessional use or for the program development of Html / PHP / Mysql / Perl / Python / ASP::Apache or Java projects (JBoss with Tomcat).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bigapache/

If you want to have a smaller package, i can recommend http://www.apachefriends.org/index-en.html. A preconfigured apache, php, mysql, phpmyadmin. Download an exract it - ready.

Addict
Addict
Thanks for the replies. That gives me some choices.

I also found this thread by Nikos: Home development in Windows.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63