Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#251117 06/16/2003 4:24 AM
Lurker
Lurker
We are running large forum with 20.000 users and in the peek we have big slow down We are running forum on two servers: 2100XP+ for web (fast enought) and 1800XP+ for SQL. Both servers have at least 1G RAM, powered by Debian Linux and running latest Ubbthreads + PhotoPost + TaskList + Calendar.

I think that servers are optimized very well - right kernel, right sql performance tunning, etc ...

BUT, that is not enought. Our web site is growing and we won't hold any longer.

I seek solution, how to run forum on multiple SQL servers, for each board / section own SQL server or migration to multiserver SQL (Oracle,MS Sql, ...)?.

Dr. Watson

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I recommend to use a mysql replication to achieve some kind of load balancing rather than modifying all the ubb.threads scripts to use different servers for different forums/sections etc.

I have done this on my forum some while ago and it worked very well.

Kahuna
Kahuna
Yes replication is the answer. It is quite easy to set up and you won't have to go through the headache of altering scripts like Astaran said.

Nikos
Lurker
Lurker
>I recommend to use a mysql replication

How can this help?

>to achieve some kind of load balancing

I am looking for pure SQL power, so real load balancing or solution mentioned in my first post.

Tnx

Lurker
Lurker
>It is quite easy to set up.

You mean this?

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Replication.html

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Yes, use the master to perform all changes to the database (Inserts, Updates, Deletes,..) and setup as many slaves as you wish to perform the select statements.

Journeyman
Journeyman
What would you have to change in the php files to have threads pull the selects from the local machine and the writes/edits to the master machine?

[:"blue"]Eric Hill[/]
Veteran
Veteran
While you're busy working on the board please put the copyright back on.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I mean how many users are logged in at any given time?

I just want to see how busy your board is. I am having problems with 50 visitors and 200 000 posts. But all is on one server only!

Addict
Addict
[]mario2 said:
I mean how many users are logged in at any given time?

I just want to see how busy your board is. I am having problems with 50 visitors and 200 000 posts. But all is on one server only!
[/]

I don't see why this would be a problem, unless your server is fairly slow, or housed with many other websites. My forum has almost 280,000 posts, and at almost all times has 40-90 users online, and I don't use a dedicated database server

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
@ehill modfifing the mysql class would be the easiest solution. No need to alter all the other scripts then. I've done this for a 5.5x version, but it should also work on the current version.

Addict
Addict
The ability to handle many users mainly depends on your hardware and server configuration. I run a board with about 10000 users, 1 million posts and up to 250 concurrent users on a single machine.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I don't see why this would be a problem, unless your server is fairly slow, or housed with many other websites. My forum has almost 280,000 posts, and at almost all times has 40-90 users online, and I don't use a dedicated database server

>> pls specify the hardware and software you have.

In my case, I have a dual PII 600 with 256 Meg memory. I just upgraded to mysql 4 which gave a maior improvement even before I am attempting to optimize my.cnf

Addict
Addict
256mb of memory? ermm.. you really really should upgrade that. The CPU isn't the most powerful either.. but having a dual machine helps. but RAM would help significantly.

That is a pretty slow server as far as for hosting a website, especially a dynamic one such as yours. I was running a 1ghz single CPU with 512mb of ram for my site, and it eventually outgrew that, so you have for the most part really outgrown your server. If you can, try to get at least 512mb of ram, but really 1gb+ is better. But you should seriously consider upgrading.. as a PII is not a server CPU, and considering how old it is, youj are probably running ATA33 or ATA66 hard disks, which is going to be another bottleneck on a busy site.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
so my slow one should do for 50!?

I upgraded mysql, now I moved the 150 000 posts mainly to a rarely used archive forum (just a plain forum), using a hack of the bulk move plugin routine.

Things are a lot quieter now, seems I am saving 2000 dollars of hardware cost now.

I still hope some restriction on searches will be implemented, so malicious people cannot overload the server so easily!!

Lurker
Lurker
In the peek time we have up to 250 users online, about one milijon posts, 150.000 PM's ...

We decided to upgrade our hardware (SQL server only) to IBM dual Xeon 2.4G with 2G DDR and also migrade database engine to MySQL 4.x and we achived great performance progress.

Dr. Watson

Lurker
Lurker
[]navaho said:
While you're busy working on the board please put the copyright back on. [/]

We'l put it on shortly - during next upgrade.

Veteran
Veteran
Alright, lets put it this way. You're violating the license agreement. Please replace the copywrite A.S.A.P.

navaho

aka -

David Dreezer
V.P. Infopop Corporation.

Lurker
Lurker
done

Veteran
Veteran
Thank you.

[]mario2 said:I still hope some restriction on searches will be implemented, so malicious people cannot overload the server so easily!![/]

The easiest way to diminish search bogdown is to limit the number of rows queried. For example, the first search only looks at the most recent n% of the post table. When they get to the end of the results give them a button to continue searching the rest of the db.

The best solution would be to integrate a real search engine instead of slogging thru the entire database, but it would probably more than double the size of the db, so that might not be an option.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63