on that line

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
yes, works for me now

Code
 <br />print "<p align=\"center\"><font size=\"-2\"><b>TLD by <a href=\"http://www.fish-tails.net\">Fishtails</a></b></font></p>"; <br />

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Thanx Allen always good to have two sets of eyes. Well the program is now 100% compliant with the one exception of the show favorites menu which calls the links_redirect.php script which makes the validator go wild calling all kinds of tag elements. It actually looks like main.inc.php is being called twice by the links program. Anyway this post here has the latest files with all the validated programs.

https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/download.php?Number=82558

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Nice, thank you I'mma gonna add it to a site that's been requesting it now...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
No problem you know me. With the tablewrappers and such on my site I can't afford to have a program with html mistakes as my site would look all wacky.

Everything should validate now except the favorites.

The offending line which points to the redirection script is this in show_favorites

print "
<a href="links/links_redirect.php?lid=$row[lid]&url=$row[url]" target="_blank">$row[title]</a><br />  $row[description]<br />
";
}

If you look at that file contents you can see it also calls the main.inc.php file but to my knowledge the links program already does this.

Here is the redirect file.

// --------------------------
// Update the total number of hits for a link.

require ("../main.inc.php");

$query = "UPDATE {$config['tbprefix']}links_links
SET hits = hits+1
WHERE lid = '$lid'
";
$update_hits = $dbh -> do_query($query);

header ("Location: $url");

I have tried taking out the require and the header location statement. Maybe someone will spot something obvious but I think the error looks to me like the main.inc being called twice.

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
Hmmm... strange that I have not had these errors - and I am running the side bar, and tested both on left & right. Maybe it is beacuse I run the links as root on the account and not in a sub-directory. Mine is at http://links.nonleague.com (Still testing things there, and not yet live )

One thing that was missing from the original version that I added to mine was Cat=$cat& on each URL so that categories are carried through from and back to threads

Of course I also added to authenticate U_Groups as I use the groups feature in my sidebar (I have to be different LOL)

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Allen's sidebar issue seems to be with that particular hack or in combination of another hack as in the sidebar thread I already stated my site validates with the sidebar. Now the issue above with the show favorites is the only thing left with this program that keeps it from being 100$ validated although the program works as intended.

Now I logged into your site. The validator does not like your site at all. It can not even obtain doctype declarations from your domain. I would suspect though that the validator would find the same error if it could parse past those nice little subdomains.

Veteran
Veteran
Very true - but then I do not run the validator at all - must admit that I have not given any thought to validation. So much of the extra software I use is not validated, that I am onto a looser from the start. I was mroe refering to the various html errors.

Weird thing though I see you registered, and I had the email sent to me to verify your email address - despite the fact that your address was in the to section - strange.

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Yeah well it worked fine. I recieved the confirmation email. Your links section is private so I had to register to view the link you posted. The club I joined is funny my daughter is a travel soccer player for the Abingdon Football Club. Then again thats abingdon over here in Maryland USA

Yeah I don't think you would ever know where to begin concerning validation however you talk about html error's validation ensures no html errors.

Veteran
Veteran
Good job you had a after that comment

Sponsored Links
Well you do love your subdomains. Seems that interrupts with the Threads DocType declaration or something else is.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I've got a site that when I try to add categories, it says something like 'you didn't type anything' Any ideas?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Suggestion, add an entry for the who's online so peeps can be seen peeping at the links

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I wonder if this is a register global thing.

Allen - I haven't looked at this mod closely - but does the script that is saying "you didn't type anything" have a get_input call at the top for all the variables it's looking for. If not - it might see them as empty.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
There's a
Code
<br />// Get the input<br />        $op        = get_input("op","get");<br />

toward the top of the file ( links_admin.php )

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Not sure if all the other variables (like $title etc.... ) need to be included in that, if register globals is on (or off) I always get confused on which one needs the get_input function.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
idda know... it works here

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'm thinking that the register globals is set differently on that server.

I'm guessing.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I haven'y been on a computer for days! Was begining to have withdrawals. Chuck, thanks for working on the html. I'm not having a problem with the admin script loading, but I'll take a gander at the file. The call to show_cats.tmpl is no longer needed. You can safely remove that line.

On my system, register globals is on, and everything works fine.

Today is 24 years of a great marriage, so forgive me if I don't look at it right away. I'll check it out in the am.

Last edited by fishtails; 06/03/2003 10:05 AM.
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
congratulations man

Mark I fixed the problem no worry looking for it.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Congrats!

Not sure where the problem might be... it makes me think it might be server setup if no-one else is having the same problems. I'll re-upload all files and try again

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Yeah if you have access to a few different sites as Josh meantioned look into register globals. I would suspect that as the first suspect thus requiring the get variables to be defined more.

After I saw your problem I tried it and it works for me.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, you'd get that message when adding a category if ($title) is empty.

Allen you also might try adding

echo "Title: $title";

in the script somewhere and see if it has a value.
If not try adding

$title = get_input("title","post");

near the top with the other get_input function.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
will do Josh, thanks

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Okay, now I can create/add categories and subcategories, but when I attempt to submit a link, it says that the url is not valid or is temporarily unavailable. It tells me to click the link to check it, and when I do, the link works perfectly. Any suggestions?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Do you approve the links after they are submitted?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
It wasn't showing them as being submitted. Don't know what the problem was but Nikos fixed it I guess.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
It sounds like y'all found the problem and it was with register globals being off? I'll add that get_input() that Josh spoke of.

shortbus, I found out (at least most of the times) why some urls won't work even though they are good urls. Basically, it has to do with server redirects. Let me see if I can clarify this. If you put in, say http://www.fish-tails.net (note there is NO trailing slash) in the address bar of your browser (or just click the link) watch the address bar and it will add the trailing slash, which is the server basically redirecting you to the default directory. Now, if someones home page is not the default directory and is in effect in another directory, the script can not resolve the new location because it is expecting the exact url.

In either case, php will not allow (at least from waht I've found out) to follow the redirect, hence the url is returned false.

I haven't figured out how to overcome this, so if anybody knows, please speak up.

Well, I was just previewing this post, and noticed that the trailing slash was added for me, when I stated there was no trailing slash. It appears the answer may be before me without knowing it.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I am not a programmer, but can't a check loop be used? Would it be possible to check the URL the way it is now and if false append the slash and recheck, if still false then return the failed check screen.

I did a modification like that to script used (perl) to update a user file. I read the Users Name out of WWWthreads and modified it to be used as a directory level password. I checked and removed all non allowed characters if it failed the check.

Thanks for this script. I will eventually be switching over from Links 2.0 to this.

Good Luck,
Dale

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
This is great and I'm proud to say we've gone live with this here.

Suggestion for the approval page. Either a "approve all" link or radio buttons (like when we approve members).

It would be nice to zip down a list of links and approve them all.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
WOW, I'm touched!!!!!!!!! Looks great with this new theme as well!!!!! Good suggestion on the radio buttons, Josh. I'll add that to the todo list. What I want to do for the next release is to squash some of the little critteres that are annoying, optimize some of the queries so there's not so many calls, and finish the language files for the general and admin area. Thanks to all who have contributed to the links directory.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
We love it

Would be nice to delete categories tho

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Veteran
Veteran
I've also added a bit to mine to sort the sub-categories on the order that they are entered, rather than alphabetical - would be cool to be able to sort the sub-categories manually, as one doesn't always need them in the default order

I want to thank you for this nice hack ! I installed it on my website www.inpiega.com and works perfectly.

I noticed that most of the text was not in the language files so I decided to contribute to this doing it myself, attacched to this message you'll find a version with all text in the language files (English and Italian avaiable) and a small modification: now user can edit or remove the links they added.

Here other suggestion:
  • All text in language files [Done, see attacched file];
  • Users should be able to edit their links [Done, see attacched file];
  • Categories should have a comment;
  • Administrator should be able to move a link;
  • Administrator should be able to delete categories;
  • To be able to use the search engine of the forum to search links in the link database ;
  • Could be good also changing the way categories works, not like folders as happen now but like... categories:
    Example:
    Green apples website: categories --> Colors | Furits
    In this way a site could appear in more than one category.

I hope I have done something useful.
Attachments
85025-links - edited.zip (0 Bytes, 124 downloads)

Last edited by Rutto; 06/15/2003 10:34 AM.
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I added the .zip file for this to my threads directory and unzipped it there. Links.php went into the threads directory while everything else wento into the new links directory. I went to the links.php page in my browser and got these SQL errors:
[] SQL ERROR: Unable to do_query: SELECT lid,cat_id FROM w3t_links_links WHERE approved = '1'
Table 'laondal_boards.w3t_links_links' doesn't exist
Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/laondal/public_html/foros/links/links_show_cat.php on line 46
SQL ERROR: Unable to do_query: SELECT * FROM w3t_links_categories WHERE parent_id = '0' ORDER BY 'cat_order'
Table 'laondal_boards.w3t_links_categories' doesn't exist
Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/laondal/public_html/foros/links/links_show_cat.php on line 66
There are () links in our database. [/]

I figured the database would have to be altered, but there weren't any new tables yet for the links directory. Then it occurred to be that it says in the instructions to click on "Links Admin" to do the install (which explains why there are no tables). So I did that and I got this error:

[] Parse error: parse error, unexpected '<' in /home/laondal/public_html/foros/links/links_admin.php on line 659 [/]

Ok. So what do I need to do to fix these problems so I can install the links directory?

I'm getting that parse error as well now...

-peter

Thats easy fix Line 659 of Links_Admin looks like it is missing a "

Your file reads this

print <p align="center"><font size="-2"><b>TLD by <a href="http://www.fish-tails.net">Fishtails</a></b></font></p>";

I double checked my working copy and it should be this

print "<p align="center"><font size="-2"><b>TLD by <a href="http://www.fish-tails.net">Fishtails</a></b></font></p>";

sf49rminer #247778 06/23/2003 9:32 PM
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
did you guys figure out a rememedy to the redirect or whatever the problem was with the / or whatever?

Still having trouble. Thanks.

Addict
Addict
I just installed this today, and you have to fix what chuck pointed out.. but also, when going to the links.php file as per the instructions, it would give SQL errors because the tables weren't created.

It should have asked you whether or not you want to upgrade or create tables, but it didn't. But you can do so manually by doing this:

http://www.domain.com/forums/links/links_admin.php?op=create_tables

Or, whatever the path to that file may be. That will create the tables, and all of the SQL errors should have went away

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63