Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Edit Note: I updated the file to reflect Omegatrons html corrections. Thanks Chuck.

Sorry it took so long. Note: Language files are not complete for this release.

BETA Version 2 - New Features:

Search Links - search in/for links
Popular Links - based on number of hits - admin chooses how many hits before becoming popular
Newest Links - Admin chooses number of links to display on latest links page
Ratings and top rated - allow member only or anyone to rate a script. Top Rated views - admin chooses number to display
My Favorites - members 'bookmark' links from the database in their Favorite Links
Admin receives email when link is submitted
Admin submissions are automatically approved
After submission a link to add another is provided
Categories may be edited
Main categories may be sorted in the order you want
Instructions and Configuration:

Open links.php in a text editor of your choice. Note pad does just fine. On or around line 38 find the following variables and set the the way you want:

// Define a few config variables

$CatColumns = 4; // number of columns for category display from 1 to infinity / suggested number is 4
$AllowAnon = 'yes'; // allow anonymous to suggest links? yes or no
$popular = 10; // how many hits before a site is considered popular
$newest_links = 10; // how many new links to display in most recent links

Once you have these defined, upload the files to your Ubbthreads directory. BACK UP your files and database. ( If you are upgrading from v1.o, it is suggested that you delete all TLD v1.0 files and upload the new ones. There are numerous changes and new files, as well as some files (a few template files) have been deleted. The database has also changed. )
Add a link to your menu to go to http://yourdomain.com/your_threads_install/links.php . Be sure you are logged in as admin. There will be a link to the links admin script. When clicked on you will find links to either upgrade from Beta 1.0 or new install. Click the appropriate link. If everything goes well, you are now ready to create categories and add links. That's it. Any problems, bugs found or fixed, or suggestions please use this thread. Thanks.

Basically, the sequence of adding links is as follows.

Admin creates a category
A user browses to the category he/she wishes to add their link and clicks the Submit Link button from that category.
When the user submits the link, the script will check to make sure that the form is filled out completely, that the email address is of the correct format, that the url is of the correct format, and validates the url to make sure it is not a dead link. If everything is OK, then the link is entered into the database (but can not be seen in the links directory yet), otherwise the submitter gets an error message.
After the link has been submitted, the admin has to approve the submission. The Admin can check the link for appropriate content for their link content requirements / rules, if any.
The admin adds the link, edits the link or deletes it from the database.
Users can now see the link in the directory if it was added.

Enjoy TLD, and please report bugs or problems in this thread, as well as any suggestions or comments. Thanks. The other TLD thread may be locked or deleted.

Mark

Note:

Versions:
(v1.5 - released 5/26/2003) - Original release by Mark
(v1.8 - released 8/23/2004) - Updated release with bugfixes and features added by ekempter
(v1.8.1 - released 10/10/2004) - Updated release with bugfixes for 6.5 by josh
(v1.8.3 - released 07/20/2005) - a few small bugfixes
(v2 - released 08/01/2005) - search function added by ekempter + a few small bugfixes
(v2.1 - Released 12/04/2005) - updated to work with 6.5.2 and a few small bugfixes
Attachments
81980-links15.zip (0 Bytes, 516 downloads)

Last edited by AllenAyres; 12/26/2005 4:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Hacker
Hacker
http://www.viperalley.com/links.php?op=Links

Added it here.

Noticed that when you click SUBMIT LINK it doesnt pick up the category you are browing automatically. It's blank; previously it picked the category you were in.

Other than that, so far so good.

Veteran
Veteran
will give this a shot

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
I got it up and going also. This is a great addition and just in time as the members of my site were requesting a links page

Check it out: www.socaps.com/ubbthreads/links.php

Mark,

Great Work by the way now on to the issue.

Okay I use tablewrappers on my site so it is real easy for me to see HTML issues and errors. I have reworked all the files with the proper HTML table close etc etc. There were some stray and missing tags no biggy. If you look at the files you will probally smack yourself in the head going why did I do that. I love it man this is a great addition way better than the beta 1.0 version. Anyway the version above will fix all problems and I went through and changed all <B> tags to <b> for XHTML compliance so you will validate. I may have missed a validation issue here or there but your good to go.
Attachments
81992-Links15.ZIP (0 Bytes, 428 downloads)

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I knew there were going to be some html issues, but I've been so slow getting this out I wanted to at least get a beta out with all the new features so y'all would know where I was at with it. Also, if I was going in the wrong direction, I didn't want to get too far ahead of myself and then have to go back and re-work a lot of stuff. Chuck, is the only thing you changed html? I haven't downloaded it to check it out yet 'cause we just got back from the beach and we're in the middle of a pool party/picnic.

Did anyone have any problems with the install or upgrade? I think the My Favorites will fit right in with the new My Home that PhotoPost has made up. Just a matter of making the calls. Which reminds me, I am planning on implementing a little addition to the My Favorites. Basically, what I am looking at is members can add links from the TLD to their favorites, but let's say they want to add some personal links to their favorites that don't belong in the TLD categories provided by the site admin. Follow where I'm going with this? A member clicks the add to favorites link from TLD, but he's got a couple of personal links he/she wants to add to their list. Bingo, bango, they can add their own link to their favorites, and doesn't disrupt the actual TLD links? If I am confusing please let me know. Sometimes I confuse myself.

Back to the party.....................

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I made a slight change there. I set it so that regardless of which category you were in, you can select the category for which you want to add your link. Is this bad? Should I go back to the old way? Looking for suggestions. I figured it was better this way, but then, what do I know?!

Mark,

All I did is fix all HTML issues so it would display right. Funny thing about html is alot of times those stray tags do not affect alot of people it can view fine. You had an extra table tag in the close template as an example.

Alot of files you opened with <table> and closed with $tbclose which adds extra tags. No need for tbclose there so I changed to table. You already pull the wrappers with your head and close templates. Little things like that. With the tablewrappers on my site it picks up on errors like that. No CODE was touched just HTML. Great work I am loving what ya did.

Hacker
Hacker
Mark,

I think it is best to default the drop down to the current category.

I think the My Favorites would make a great addition to My Home; I'll have to take a look and see how to do that.

Addict
Addict
This sounds just fantastic, I will make a trial installation of it for sure, I'll let you know how it works out.

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
You might also want to change each .php?op= into .php?Cat=$Cat&op= so that categories are carried through from and back to threads

This is really looking very good.

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Will upload tomorrow

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Mark,

Not that I see this meantioned but little buglet that I see. I submitted a link and it does what it was suppose to. It told me that the link was submitted for approval. I even got the email saying there was a link to approve ( great addition ) However when I went to admin section to approve it it was not there. The link goes through all this and is submits live no approval needed. Now it would be nice if it worked like this intentionally. Maybe a toggle switch in admin section or hard coded like the 4 other variable you added to allow approval in admin section or send straight to categories for display.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Chuck,

Admin & moderator links are automatically approved - the toggle for this is links_submit_form.php at the top

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Chuck, as Ian states, the submission is working as intended. If you are loged in as admin or moderator, no need for approval. It is automatically approved. I just forgot to change it to not send email etc. Still needs some work, but it does seem fairly stable, would you agree?

Because of the HTML Errors this is not working with the sidebar Hack.

Take a look at this:
http://www.clanforums.com/ubbthreads/links.php?op=Links
This is correct but then try to use a link
Top Rated for example:
http://www.clanforums.com/ubbthreads/links.php?op=Top_Rated_Links

If you're logged in and you've the sidebar turned on the script is not working.

I am sure that this is only a small template problem. I will take a look into it later today...

Veteran
Veteran
Does it work okay if the sidebar pal is on the left?

Mine is workign fine, lke that, but have noticed a problem with it on the right - but I do not think it is related to TLD

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Omegatron has done a lot of html fixes on this release. H has them posted here. https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/download.php?Number=81992 Try this out and see if it works with the side bar pal. I don't use the sidebar pal, so I can't test it.

Veteran
Veteran
BTW - my sidebarpal problem was not related to to TLD - however I am running Chuck's version.

Ok boys and girls, here's the solution to make fishtails great mod working if your using the sidebar hack on the right side.

Simply open links_footer.tmpl and change this
Code
<br /><? //UBBTREMARK<br />echo <<<UBBTPRINT<br /><br /></td><br /></tr><br />$tbclose<br /><br />UBBTPRINT;<br />/* UBBTREMARK */ ?><br />

to this

Code
<br /><? //UBBTREMARK<br />echo <<<UBBTPRINT<br /><br />$tbclose<br /><br />UBBTPRINT;<br />/* UBBTREMARK */ ?><br />

Life can be so easy sometimes :-)

Now I start to test the rest

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
danke for the code JL

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
JL,

You problem then lies in the sidebar templated not being right because those two closing tags are indeed correct and needed. The header template ends with <tr><td> so the
footer needs to have </td></tr>

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Not sure which version I just uploaded, I think it was omegatron's On line #659, links_admin.php was:
Code
<br />print <p align="center"><br />

should be:

Code
<br />print "<p align=\"center\"><br />

https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/links.php

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Thanks Allen yeah thats me looking at things too hard.

I went back in and was trying to get some more HTML error to XHTML validate things for Mark. Zip Updated.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just updated the file attachment in the first post to reflect Chucks html corrections to alleviate any problems. Thanks Chuck.

No Problem Mark I appreciate all the time your taking making such a wonderful product.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
yes, very nice... I've drooled for a mod like this for years

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm glad y'all like it. Have any bugs other than the html been found? It appears at this point (based on none have been posted) that there aren't any. YAY! Of course, as soon as I post this I'll come back and there will be some. LOL

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hehe.. I haven't checked, but will tonight

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Addict
Addict
When someone posts a link, and you're in the link admin to approve, delete, or edit it...their username link does not work.

Mark one thing I noticed is the links_admin does not load. I don't think I touched any code just html. Would you see if you can see what the deal is.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I was checking our links page in the validator and was trying to find out why we're not getting the </body></html> tags. I haven't found the reason (it may be the retro stats killing it), but did find this:

At the bottom of show_cat.php there's this line:

include "links/templates/links_show_cat.tmpl";

there is no template file by that name. Is that a feature still coming?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
links_header.tmpl on line # 15 needs amp; added to that &

line #27 needs a /

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
LOL Allen we seem to be doing the same. Here is a zip of almost XHTML Compliant. There is one thing left and I am scratching my head. The Favorites call to and emtpy body tag and no closing tag to td and tr but I have looked and looked and am at a lose. However this is the only known issue keeping this copy from being compliant. Look this over Allen and see if I am right.
Attachments
82558-Links.zip (0 Bytes, 314 downloads)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
sure, thanks

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
looks good to me so far

It appears the cut off </body></html> tags are related to either the sidebar or retro stats... time for more testing

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hmm that sounds like a good theory Allen however how does it only effect the favorites? Should that not affect the validation of all of them. I only get that with the favorites. That is the only file that calls the redirect so maybe the problem lies there. The rest of the script now validates although I do need to go through the links_admin.php and clean a few things up. Waiting on Mark to look at it and find out what is different from the initial release that worked and this release that does not.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Haven't checked the favorites

I'm talkin about the whole site in which the sidebar is a part... the 2 end tags are missing. Aside, I did manage to almost completely clean up the retrostats script code

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/links.php

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Okay Got ya. Yeah I use my sidebar on the left

Understand. There seems to be that issue with the sidebar on the right.

I just switched the sidebar to the right and everything validates as well. Is your sidebar closing template this:

<? //UBBTREMARK

echo <<<UBBTPRINT

</td>
<td width="10">

</td>
<td align="center" valign="top" width="{$theme['sidebar_width']}">

UBBTPRINT;

include("$thispath/pals/sidebarpal.php");//UBBTREMARK

echo <<<UBBTPRINT

</td>
</tr>
</table>

UBBTPRINT;
/* UBBTREMARK */ ?>

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Here's the error I get when clicking on the links admin link:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '<' in /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/forum/links/links_admin.php on line 659

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63