Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Journeyman
Journeyman
I am trying to set up my linux mandrake machine to play with my threads mods. I got apachee, php, and mysql running. I was a ble to test the localhost and it worked. I even managed to build a database in phpmyadmin.

My problem started when I ran the install script for threads. At step 4 when I click the button to validate the path variables, I get a server timeout. The installation stops at that point. I am sure it is a misconfiguration on my part. Where do I start?

Just to make things more fun, I have to reboot to my windows OS just to get online. Seems my linux OS does not like my modem.

Thanks for your time,
Dale

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
Hi Dale

It might be a permission error. Some files/folders need special permissions. First of all identify your paths. Where the web server files need to be, so that you can see them on screen in the browser. Second check your domain name (if it's not localhost). With this information in hand try to run the threads installation.

As for your modem and linux, try some of the websites that are out there and ask for advice if your modem manufactured doesn't have a linux driver. Also DLT's (www.dalantech.com) site has very good advice and helpful members.

If you get stuck give us a shout.

Nikos
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot this weekend. I really do want to convert over to LINUX as a full time user eventualy. However the GATES hold on me is pretty strong at my current level of experience.

Thanks,
Dale

Kahuna
Kahuna
I know what you mean. I finally managed to backup all my data on CD's and optical drives and wipe out the primary hard drive of my pc. I am installing gentoo linux on that one. On my second machine though I still have Windows. But that one runs like a dog cause it is a very old Pentium. My goal is to totally migrate to Linux. I am really fed up with Windows (and to think that I am a full time Visual Basic developer... )

Nikos
Journeyman
Journeyman
Have you looked at Mandrake Linux? I know nothing about linux yet. With the exception of not being able to get my modem to work, Mandrake has been a reasonable Windows replacement. It is very desktop oriented. I imagine that power users would be hampered by the GUI, but as a newbie I am not intimidated like I used to be. The command line only is not very appealing to me.

Thanks again for your help,
Dale

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
Hi Dale,

I must have installed Mandrake 9.0 5 times so far and equally Red Hat 8.0 as well as Red Hat 7.3. I found out that Mandrake 9.0 and Red Hat 8.0 are very good replacements to Windows and really easy to install and use.

You will find out the transition from Windows to Linux a bit bumpy, since you are used to certain things that are not there any more. For instance the Control Panel is not where you expect it to be (being used to from Windows) and you will have to mount a drive before you use it (well most of the times).

The installations that I mentioned (Mandrake/Red Hat) are indeed good but they are stuffed with software that you might never use. For instance I found in the Red Hat that you have Ximian Evolution installed as your mail client and also KDEMail. You only need one really and for me one thing that was really annoying in Windows was the amount of useless files that the system had. The comparison was with Outlook Express and Outlook.

For that reason I opted for gentoo. You will find out that the more you install/use Linux the more you will get to know things and you will find yourself in the not too far future to opt for a customized system, optimized for you.

One drawback is that some of the vendors of hardware continue to ignore linux in developing drivers for their products. Fortunately before I bought my hardware (cards etc) I ensured that they all had support for Linux, cause I knew that the time will come where I will switch to it permanently.

Nikos
Journeyman
Journeyman
I appreciate your time and encouraging words. I am ever hopeful that high speed internet will come to my neighborhood. I have a router already mounted by my linux set up. I installed network cables throughout the house when I built it. All I need now is the internet connection. Then Iam sure I will drop windows. Once Iget the static IP I will be greatly motivated to set up a server for my web site. And that can only mean a Linux box

Thanks,
Dale

Kahuna
Kahuna
I hope you will get your connection soon. God knows how much we have waited for decent ADSL service and not to mention prices here in the UK. Another thing you might want to check out is a firewall (if your router does not support it). Get your old and dusty 486 machine and install a firewall utilizing old equipment.

Nikos

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63