Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
It would be nice if it was possible to make some forums so that people who is not in the acces group can see that the forum exist when they see the forumlist.
if they try to enter they would get the, you are not in the right group or something like that.

like an appetiser to get people to get there membership...

can that be done ??

Thomas

Sponsored Links
I don't know if that can be done, but check out the teaser I set up on my site.

The teaser forum is read only for guests, but set to no access for registered users (registered users don't need to see it anyway). I put the Bennefits of Registering forum in my members only catagory. So the members only catagory is displayed to guests, but the read only teaser forum is all they can access

i like your way to do that..

but cant the other thing be done ???

Thomas

It probably can be done, but imagine yourself as an unregistered user clicking on forums that they can't read and getting error messages. I see two problems with it from a design perspective:
  • Unregistered users would get frustrated clicking on things they don't have access to and eventually leave your site never to return. That would be the number one reaction to setting up forums that they can see but not enter...
  • How can someone tell a "legal" area from the areas that they can access? After getting two or more error messages they might assume that the entire forum is restricted and they would leave.
I really think it's best to set up a teaser forum that unregistered users can see, but registered users cannot.

You could even make an "unregistered" forum for every "registered" forum that you have...

Addict
Addict
Why not make a small mod that adds a field to the boards table which tells if the board should show up as a teaser on the main index if the user isn't allowed to read it?

Sponsored Links
Honestly, I don't have time to dig into it right now.

I understand what kordegnen wants, but from a design perspective I still think it's a bad idea. If I went to a site and kept clicking on links only to find out that I don't have access I'd leave. I wouldn't even bother bookmarking the site, and it wouldn't encourage me to register. The more frustrating you make something to use the less likely people will use it...

Addict
Addict
Yeah, that's not what I meant. I just meant a small hack to make it easier to create teaser forums, which I guess could be quite tedious if you have lots of forums unaccessible by guests.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Purhaps just a simple mesage somewhere that simply says 'hey, if you register, we also have X and X etc forums available' ...something like that - that simply gets their attention and lets new users know there is more available as an insintive to register

That would be practicle. In fact it would be easy to add another table to the ubbt_unregistered.tmpl file that contains the names of the forums that are available once you register. Right after $tbclose add

Code
 <br /><br /><br />$tbopen<br /><tr><br /><td class="lighttable"><br />The following forums are avaialble once you register: "insert forum names here minus the quotes"<br /></td><br /></tr><br />$tbclose<br />

That table will be displayed under the menu table on every page, but only for unregistered users. No clicking on links that don't work and it would be a constant reminder that there is something more for registered users

Journeyman
Journeyman
Nice idea

Sponsored Links
Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63