Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
User
User
Forgive me if this has been posted before, but myself and a whole bunch of users have been experiencing this problem.

Lets say I have a forum that has 100 new posts. I click to enter this forum, and without reading anything go back to the main page. Then going back into the foru, ALL the posts are marked read even tho I haven't read a single one. The first time I go in, everything is new, but the second time all posts are read.

It seems to happen randomly, with cookies cleared, cookies not cleared, etc. Some people have firewalls, others do not, there doesn't seem to be a single common thing among all the users experiencing this.

Is there something that is set incorrectly? Is this a bug? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
What version? In the current version, 6.2.x, the post tracking feature seems to be much better than earlier versions.

User
User
We are using 6.2 Plan to update to 6.2.2 in the next few days or so.

Admittedly it has happened less in the newer versions but it still happens. Just wondering if there is a fix or what steps can be done to prevent this from happening?

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Not sure off hand what can be done. For me it seems to be working fairly consistant in the various boards I use.

Anyone else have some input?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I know that Rick said post tracking is NOT done on a post by post basis... that would be too intensive. It's the postlist.php script that marks stuff read. So this is designed.

Tracking by post would be too intensive.

So that's pretty much designed behavior.

Sometimes using the "last post by" link does mark the post read... but that seemed to be a mystery. It shouldn't.

Theres a post where he explains it a great deal over at Infopop community, but I can't find it.

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
It works fine with me. The postlist might say that don't have any unread messages but when I click on the board I see the ones that I haven't read. We use Full Post Tracking on all three boards that I administer (just in case this plays any role)

Nikos
Post tracking seems to be working pretty well for me. Sometimes a forum will get marked as read when I've only been in one post, but that only happens when I back completely out to the forum list. If I stay in a forum that has unread posts in it then the tracking works very well as I go from post to post, and I don't have full post tracking enabled.

User
User
Yes, it works fine for me most of the time, but once in awhile it doesn't. Oh well, I'm not too concerned about it but if anyone has any other input, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Rick is aware that it ain't perfect. But hopefully it's getting better.

User
User
I'm not complaining or anything, just thought I messed up something like I usually do hahahaha

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63