Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2334 03/16/2005 3:47 PM
quote:
...but even though I've been keeping an eye on the private beta sites I know of, I still haven't managed even a tiny peek at anything NG.
It's housed in an underground facility. You wont be seeing it until public beta at the soonest. Heck, just the other day a photographer was trying to take pictures and Capps shot him dead. wink

Sponsored Links
#2335 03/18/2005 12:22 AM
Moderator / Template Diva
That Capps... you gotta be careful around that dude... he broke my arm one time for trying to get a picture of Infopop's top-secret next-gen graemlin technology. tipsy

I KNOW YOU HAVE IT, INFOPOP!!! I WILL NOT REST UNTIL GRAEMLINS 2.0 IS MINE!!!

---Jamin

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
#2336 03/18/2005 3:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
*evil, bone-chilling cackle*

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
#2337 03/18/2005 1:07 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
:puts feather away: it wasn't me!

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
#2338 04/11/2005 9:03 AM
Is this product still to be released in the spring? Any place we can go to read more information? Anyone testing the product current? Will it be cheaper?

So many questions....So many questions... tipsy

I will be looking forward to it..

Sponsored Links
#2339 04/11/2005 3:44 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Will it be released in the spring: As far as I know

Anwhere we can go to read more info: There is an announcement at UBBCentral about the new product, nothing has been said since then.

Anyone testing the product: There is a beta team.

Will it be cheaper: If I told you I'd have to kill you.

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
#2340 04/11/2005 5:24 PM
I don't think it's going to be released until "next generation". tipsy

#2341 04/13/2005 3:49 PM
Is there any way to be automatically notified when this new product is ready? I'd like to be amongst the first to run it. smile

#2342 04/13/2005 4:28 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
We'll most likely send out an email to the members here, that should do it for anyone who accepts email from the site smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#2343 04/19/2005 1:09 PM
I want to see some screen shots! or beta sites!

Thanks. Back to your regularly scheduled flogging.

laugh

Sponsored Links
#2344 04/19/2005 2:36 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Originally posted by PhillipBurum:

I want to see some screen shots! or beta sites!

Thanks. Back to your regularly scheduled flogging.

laugh

I can guarentee you that there are none of either lol

#2345 05/07/2005 11:26 PM
Please... for the love of everything sacred and holy... give us SOMETHING! Give us a screenshot. Give us a release date. Give us access to just ONE beta demo site. I don't care. Just give us ANYTHING!

I read in Infopop's (and/or Groupee's [*shudder*]) May newsletter that the NGP is behind schedule. This makes me sad. You have no idea how much I loathe PunBB. I originally moved away from Eve, and into PunBB, hoping that it would be a temporary thing, maybe a month or so until the NGP came out. But I absolutely hate PunBB, and I hate it more and more as I continue to use it. I really don't like phpBB. I really don't like Phorums. And I really don't like any of the other freebie forum packages.

It is this sheer hatred of PunBB that is giving me thoughts of... *gasp*... buying a vB license. Or even IPB, God help me. They're pretty. They seem (from the limited amount I've been able to see them on other sites) relatively easy to customize. They've got fairly big development/modding communities. And more importantly, they are available NOW, which means they would allow me to instantly rid myself of the horrible scourge to the forums market that is PunBB.

Seriously. Infopop. Groupee. Whatever you want to be called now. Just give us SOMETHING. Something to reassure me that I won't be disappointed after waiting this long, and suffering through PunBB for this long. That's all I ask. I really don't know how much longer I can deal with PunBB... even vBulletin is looking better than that...

---Jamin

#2346 05/07/2005 11:38 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Look at threads... look at classic... look at eve... now combine and swig back some vodka and there is NG wink

#2347 05/08/2005 9:36 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hehe, I don't think the beta team has rec'd copies of the new stuff to upload, hence the 'we're behind' speech smile www.ianspence.com will probably be the first place to see it in action.

Anybody that'd use software named punbb really deserves a lotta misery. I've never even heard of it confused

tipsy

Why didn't you just move back to threads? Wouldn't have been that difficult to import and make pretty (yes, it can be made to look pretty, just not in its stock form wink ). Would be nice to be given the next estimated time of release instead of just "we're behind schedule". smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#2348 05/08/2005 9:48 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
As previously stated (in a few forums) some beta sites are:
www.undergroundnews.com
www.ianspence.com
www.nightly.net

just to name a few... None of the beta testers have open beta boards up

#2349 05/08/2005 11:46 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
well there you go smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#2350 05/10/2005 4:14 PM
Originally posted by AllenAyres:

Anybody that'd use software named punbb really deserves a lotta misery. I've never even heard of it confused

tipsy

Why didn't you just move back to threads? Wouldn't have been that difficult to import and make pretty (yes, it can be made to look pretty, just not in its stock form wink ). Would be nice to be given the next estimated time of release instead of just "we're behind schedule". smile
In retrospect, I should have moved back to Threads. But several of my forum members used PunBB, and recommended it. On paper, it's actually not a half bad system... in practice, though, it's retarded. Sorta like communism. wink

At any rate, if this development stall continues much longer, I'll probably switch to Threads, as soon as I get the time to write my own import script. Took me HOURS to pull all my content out of Eve and into PunBB. Had to write my own script and all, gigantic pain in the hind quarters. Actually, on a side note, my membership expired before 6.5 was out, so the newest one I've got is 6.4, before the importer was added. So it probably would have taken just as long to import to Threads from Eve, too. Oh well. Lesson learned.

---Jamin

#2351 05/11/2005 12:24 AM
At this point, I'd just like to hear something - anything - to give us an idea of when we should expect the new product. The last newsletter left me more confused than ever.

I'm sure all of us understand that delays happen and programs don't always run the way we expect them to. But I've got multiple systems waiting for a PHP-based board before I can put them online. If it's going to be months before it's ready, I'd like to know that so I can consider other options (Threads, etc.) and go ahead and get the rest working. On the other hand, if it's just around the corner, it seems pointless to move everything over to Threads or another option only to turn around and do it all again.

Know what I mean?

#2352 05/11/2005 1:03 AM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
it's not just around the corner, I can guarantee that

#2353 05/11/2005 3:40 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Agreed with Ian, it's a ways off before we expect to have our beta sites up.

I'd reccommend that you sign up for threads; afterall the license conversion to the new product for current licenses should (keyword should) be free. Additionally I'd also reccommend purchasing a license now rather than waiting for NG to come out...

#2354 05/11/2005 9:39 AM
Well, I don't mind making the conversion now and then upgrading to NG later on if you think that would be the best option. I'm really entirely unfamiliar with Threads, though... how close can I get to making Threads emulate Classic, so I don't have to shake up my users too much by constantly changing things around? Can anyone tell me any major features I'm going to lose by making the switch (or a place to look for that info)?

I realize these are questions that have been asked before, but I've done a bunch of digging both here and at ThreadsDev and can't seem to find any recent comparisons of the products. The old "comparison page" people have linked to in other threads doesn't seem to exist anymore, and Infopop/Groupee's current comparison page is entirely unhelpful. But I know that some people here (*cough*Gizzy*cough*) have expressed their love for Classic over Threads, so I'm wondering how much I'm going to lose (other than user interface changes) by making that switch now.

Also, Threads can import from Classic, right?

Thanks in advance, guys.

#2355 05/11/2005 12:25 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
The importer in Classic/Threads should allow for a smooth migration.

And yes, as everyone well knows, I have a total undying hatred for threads wink ... I'd immagine with some boredom and html knowledge that anyone could hack up the threads templates (not to mention CSS code) to look like classic.

Bottom line, if you have enough threads/members that you NEED a PHP/MySQL solution; by all means, go to threads... At least you'll experiance the fun of modding away a fresh install again (which I haven't seen since UBB.Classic 6.5 due to Beyond Compare)...

#2356 05/11/2005 12:27 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
threads imports well from classic smile

Other than interface changes (and there are some, but there's a few mods at threadsdev that helps a bit), there really isn't a whole lot different feature-wise that's major. You can hide forums from those who don't have access (admin forums from general users), and there's "page views" on topics and a calendar, but not much else, Charles has done a good job of adding features to classic over the last few years.

Up to you, but if you're looking for a php/mysql solution until the next generation is out, threads will do the job well thumbsup

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#2357 05/11/2005 1:57 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I guess threads shares the same dislike of me that I share for it....

#2358 05/19/2005 11:12 AM
Well, I've made the switch to Threads, and I've been wasting my life hacking away at it to make it more Classic-like... but, to be honest, it's really growing on me.

No small part of that is probably due to the fact that I despise Perl and adore PHP... wink

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. I'm actually pretty happy with this change, and it will help tide me over while NG is going through beta testing.

#2359 05/19/2005 3:21 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I made some ubb.classic skin posting page templates (which to me is the biggest shock to new threads users) at threadsdev, feel free to try them out, they're just an upload and run mod smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#2360 07/05/2005 1:49 AM
Here we are in July with my membership renewal eight months behind me (just to get a copy of this new product).

Where does development stand with it as of now?

1998 Firebird Formula with a blower and then some...
#2361 07/06/2005 12:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I would keep watching the newsletter, and the UBBCentral News Forum in addition to here.

#2362 10/25/2005 5:01 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
I am super impatient right now, I shut down my site to wait for the NG and to re-design it. I was told within the beginning of the new year the last time I spoke to groupee.

Does anyone have anything at all?

#2363 10/25/2005 6:45 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I wouldn't go shutting down your site and waiting; never know when a development hurtle can be set; your best bet is keeping your site alive, commiting suicide is never an answer...

#2364 10/25/2005 9:02 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
It wasn't that I committed suicide to my site, its that I had a run-in with my co-admin who was in major conflict with me in how to run the message board. So I decided to wait for NG to restart the boards again.

Now I have to wait.. and wait.. and wait.. it really bites.

#2365 10/25/2005 10:22 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I'd tell him to leave your .classic forum up until NG is released; else theres always a roshambo method wink ...

#2366 10/25/2005 11:46 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm in the process of refreshing the entire forums and starting over without him, saving half the members I had who I think won't outright leave. Twice I've been screwed over, I won't let anyone else have that much access to my board again.

The other worries I have is installing the spellcheck and a points hack into the board then not being able to upgrade to the NG without messing everything up and having to do it all over again.

#2367 10/26/2005 1:19 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
NG will use the import/export function built into classic; this function only takes nessessary data from the member and thread files.

#2368 11/16/2005 5:38 PM
Will it also import the actual forums, forum names, and permissions settings for those forums that are in the UBB Classic? Or will the new Ultimate php product require you to rebuild your own forum index manually by creating the idential forums that your UBB classic has, before these import features for the threads data files can be imported?

All My Best,
Devin
#2369 11/16/2005 8:13 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
No information on that has been posted publicly so I have no clue...

Your best bet however is to believe that Infopop will make everything as easy as possible for users to upgrade to the new product.

#2370 11/16/2005 10:23 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Of course smile Upgrading will be like butta smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#2371 03/28/2006 5:32 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
:tap: :tap: :tap:

is this thing on?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#2372 03/29/2006 12:40 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
It hasn't been for a while wink

#2373 03/30/2006 2:18 AM
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Charles Capps leaves Infopop (now Groupee), oh my god, thats not good news for the new product I think.... eek frown

Webmaster of d-talk & Kabel-Forum.com
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63