Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2294 09/20/2004 2:46 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Licenses are indefinate, only member area access expires; which can always be renewed with a valid license.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links
#2295 10/01/2004 1:22 AM
THAT'S what I want to know about... I JUST purchased a lifetime UBB Member Area/License deal within the last year, and I am wondering if BOTH the license AND the support will carry over...

Thanks,
Clay

PS - I think the DB backend and new codebase will be a killer combo!

Clay Autery
"More, Better, Faster..."
#2296 10/01/2004 2:46 AM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
quote:
THAT'S what I want to know about... I JUST purchased a lifetime UBB Member Area/License deal within the last year, and I am wondering if BOTH the license AND the support will carry over...
Both will. smile

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
#2297 10/08/2004 2:03 AM
Originally posted by LK:

I vote for "Ultimate Bulletin Board" or "UBB" smile
I do too. Nothings better than UBB Clasic. Now, Infopop has yet to prove me wrong, before I change my board over.eh? And, I hate PHPBB had so much troubble with that board.

However, Infopop going to something php? That is bound to be better than stupid other php boards out there!

Now, there's just one thing I want on the new product. That is an admin and moderator cpanel links that appear (only) under a member account that is set up as an admin level rank or moderator ranks.

My Phpbb board had a link to the admin panel that appeared (only) for those who were set as admin level rank members. Thats something my UBB Classic does not have : :rolleyes: smash

Let's have stuff like this on the new product. Also what's with not being able to hide the forums from guest, and members accept only being able to restrict access via password? That is something I want to see changed in the new Infopop build of php type product before I chage over. Just something to think about!!

All My Best,
Devin
#2298 10/08/2004 1:46 PM
Veteran
Veteran
"Now, there's just one thing I want on the new product. That is an admin and moderator cpanel links that appear (only) under a member account that is set up as an admin level rank or moderator ranks."

Ok. Done. That was easy.

" Also what's with not being able to hide the forums from guest"

Ok. Done.

You'll want to check out the .threads feature list. Remember this product is a merger of all that's good in both .classic and threads.

A lot of the stuff you're looking for is already acounted for. smile

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Sponsored Links
#2299 10/08/2004 2:25 PM
Here is what else I have thought about for the new product. On my phpbb board I used to run, I had away to set up usergroups and set permissions of indivual forums via usergroups.

For example: My usergroup "Global Moderators" was set as a moderator of each forum. This meant that anyone who was a member of that group could moderate any forum in the board.

There are a lot of features in phpbb I miss that I do not have the use of in UBB Classic 6.7.2

All My Best,
Devin
#2300 10/08/2004 3:35 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
There isn't a "user groups" feature for the UBB; however there is a Global Moderators (MegaModerators) modification located in the mod forum.

Also, if you need a feature, file a request.

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
#2301 10/08/2004 3:46 PM
Originally posted by Gizzy:

There isn't a "user groups" feature for the UBB; however there is a Global Moderators (MegaModerators) modification located in the mod forum.

Also, if you need a feature, file a request.
What mod forum? I dont have a mod forum or an admin forum in this new UBB Board of mine. However i can create these two forums on the new board.

What I am talking about is the usergroups permissions feature to be set as mod of any forum or forums I choose. It would enable me to add new members to the group and their permissions will be updated via the usergroups persmissions set up.

All My Best,
Devin
#2302 10/08/2004 3:47 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
He was asking about the new software, which will have user groups, as threads currently has it.

#2303 10/08/2004 4:00 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Ahh, I was talking about THIS software (UBB.Classic 6.7.2) in the UBBDev mod forum has a modification for Global Moderators.

As for features of the new product, as Charles stated, if it's in either of the two downloadable products (UBB.Classic or UBB.Threads) it should make it into the new product (so long as it doesn't break cache).

I don't believe that they're focusing on any "new" features for the first release of new product, so if it's not a feature now it'd probably be unlikely to be one.

But as Ian stated, it's in Threads so it should be in new product.

Sponsored Links
#2304 10/08/2004 7:16 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, Devin, it's already in threads, so it'll be in the new product as well.

Gee, that was so easy. yay

Picture perfect penmanship here.
#2305 10/08/2004 9:23 PM
Originally posted by navaho:

Yes, Devin, it's already in threads, so it'll be in the new product as well.

Gee, that was so easy. yay
Good News then I will most likely upgrade to the new product then if I can have all of the cool stuff that threads has plus the totally awsome customizable features that UBB Classic has!

All My Best,
Devin
#2306 10/09/2004 1:16 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yeh, should be good times for all when the new product comes out; I can't wait smile .

#2307 11/27/2004 5:04 PM
Anyone have an update or more specific release date?

#2308 11/27/2004 5:12 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
It's awesome and Spring 2005 smile

#2309 11/27/2004 5:26 PM
I searched but couldn't find and info on new webhost requirements (in addition to PHP4 and MySQL4).

Will it be significantly different?
Will it cost more assuming full transfer of all threads?

#2310 11/27/2004 5:50 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
It's a cross between Threads and Classic. It won't be any more different than Threads is to Classic.

It will probably cost more, although any current owner of a license will already have a license for the new software.

#2311 11/27/2004 5:51 PM
Thanks Ian, but I was referring to webhosting costs

#2312 11/29/2004 1:58 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
As long as your host meets the requirements (PHP 4.3+, MySQL4.0+), there should be no other costs involved on that side.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
#2313 01/02/2005 5:11 AM
Will this new UBB be able to compete with vB3 and IPB2? Will it be resonably priced? If the answers to those questions are yes and UBB is making a long awaited comback, then as soon as it is out I will gladly switch over from my vB to UBB because I have always liked UBB but I thought you guys were done and out, especialy when you came out with that eve crap and I thought that was your next big thing, those hosting options are the most ridiculously over priced hosting options I have ever seen in my life. I dont care if they came with UBB.x the prices were outrageous. UBB.classic and UBB.threads are both over priced considering they can barely compeat with phpBB let alone vBulletin and IPB. I cant wait to see what you guys come up with hopfuly it will bring UBB back to the top smile

#2314 01/04/2005 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Staticfire.:

Will this new UBB be able to compete with vB3 and IPB2? Will it be resonably priced? If the answers to those questions are yes and UBB is making a long awaited comback, then as soon as it is out I will gladly switch over from my vB to UBB because I have always liked UBB but I thought you guys were done and out, especialy when you came out with that eve crap and I thought that was your next big thing, those hosting options are the most ridiculously over priced hosting options I have ever seen in my life. I dont care if they came with UBB.x the prices were outrageous. UBB.classic and UBB.threads are both over priced considering they can barely compeat with phpBB let alone vBulletin and IPB. I cant wait to see what you guys come up with hopfuly it will bring UBB back to the top smile
Unfortunately, I belive it will be about the same price as Threads. But remember: QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!

#2315 01/04/2005 1:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran
we have no information on this yet. It could very well be aligned on the price of ubb.classic or even cheaper in order to compete head to head with vb.

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
#2316 01/04/2005 1:04 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
One thing we can count on is our licenses for both products being able to be converted to the new product without any additional charge.

This means that if you have a license with either product that you'll be able to just pay a member area renewal to download the new product (from what I got out of the anouncement anyway).

#2317 01/05/2005 11:20 PM
frown Thats very disapointing...still I imagin it's January and demos of this new product should be released soon so, when they are I guess that will be the deciding factor if I switch to UBB. I rember that before I learned webdesign and coding I loved UBB forums. Once I had learned webdesign and coding eveyone I asked had instructed me that UBB was unreasonably expensive, blew and was no longer the top forum softwear and to either go with IPB or vB and I went with vB.

#2318 01/06/2005 11:53 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, I figure it like this; you get a base package from Infopop and you can apply modifications to it with the large community here at UBBDev... No feature? ask for a mod wink ... Heck, that's how some mod's make it as a feature...

#2319 02/19/2005 12:42 PM
Are any of the betas on the web yet for us to see and play with?

#2320 02/19/2005 4:01 PM
I couldn't wait and made the switch to VB. I'm a long time supporter of UBB.Classic ever since version 5.x came out. I upgraded to 6.5 when it came out, was planning to do a 6.7 upgrade but waited until the smilie mod to come out and upgrade. The mod showed up on UBBDev, but it was an incorrect link, so I PM'ed one of the staff members and posted in the thread to ask for the correct link. No one replied to my post or PM (PM was read BTW), and I waited for months. I really hope you guys can come up with something good, because VB is years and years ahead of UBB from what I can see.

#2321 02/19/2005 5:21 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Originally posted by Neptin:

Are any of the betas on the web yet for us to see and play with?

None have reared up yet, keep an eye at UBBDev you may see a few things popup wink .

Originally posted by Vtec44:
[qb]
I couldn't wait and made the switch to VB. I'm a long time supporter of UBB.Classic ever since version 5.x came out. I upgraded to 6.5 when it came out, was planning to do a 6.7 upgrade but waited until the smilie mod to come out and upgrade. The mod showed up on UBBDev, but it was an incorrect link, so I PM'ed one of the staff members and posted in the thread to ask for the correctly. No one replied to my post or PM (PM was read BTW), and I waited for months. I really hope you guys can come up with something good, because VB is years and years ahead of UBB from what I can see.
[/qb]
I love the UBB, it's easy to mod and most requests posted to the requests forum are looked at by more than one person; I just wish i had the cash for another license for one of my other sites smirk

#2322 02/24/2005 3:29 AM
Moderator / Template Diva
Steven replied to my post on Infopop Nation that the next-gen product is in private beta currently. "Private beta," I would assume, entails the number of people who are allowed to download and install the product. But the whole point of a beta is to get it tested by a decent number of people...

So...

Does anyone have a viewable site running from the next-gen product yet? Can you provide links to said site?

My users are starting to demand that I move away from Eve because of the slowness (no matter how much I personally may like it), so I need to start thinking about alternatives. And I'm hoping the next-gen downloadable will be my solution. So if anyone's got a site I can look at just for a basic overview of the script, I would greatly appreciate it. smile

EDIT: I was impatient and didn't read the few recent posts about the same question. Sorry. You'd think having as many posts as I do would automatically preclude me from making n00b mistakes like that. Apparently not. wink Anyhoo... if anything's changed since the last time someone asked for a demo site... you know what to do.

---Jamin

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
#2323 02/24/2005 4:01 AM
Wow... apparently my post has been deleted from Infopop Nation. God forbid I mention the fact that my users think Eve is slow. Even with that whole paragraph about how much I personally love Infopop, too.

I'm so glad I got a warning and all. (Oh, wait, I didn't...)

I'm really not sure what to say at this point.

I guess this sorta says something about my loyalty to Infopop...

---Jamin

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
#2324 02/24/2005 12:37 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
According to the Infopop News Letter there is a "feature complete" date towards the end of March. As for Private Beta think of it as an alpha period to assist in coding of the overall project (finding bugs, requesting updates etc).

At this time there are 0 public beta boards to tinker with; however, some of them will be:
http://www.undergroundnews.com/
http://www.ianspence.com/
http://www.nightly.net/

#2325 02/24/2005 12:49 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
and possibly flave? smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#2326 02/24/2005 2:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
you mean flare tipsy

#2327 02/24/2005 2:22 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
oh, did they change their logo? wink

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#2328 02/25/2005 2:27 PM
I've been using vBulletin for so long now.. I think Infopop starting thinking about too many different things to maintain their lead. They started it all.. I hope they come back with another great product...

#2329 02/25/2005 2:31 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Hey Sal smile How are the 80's treating you?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#2330 02/25/2005 2:36 PM
Hi Allen! Oh, God.. There's so much drama there.. The site is still doing well, but my new baby is the Cadillac site.. Boy, did that thing take off like a rocket.. Otherwise.. You're the only reason I stuck with UBB for so long when I did.. You made my boring message board something very interesting.. Thank you. smile

#2331 02/25/2005 2:58 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You're welcome smile Good to see you around, come see us again in a couple months when we have something to show off smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#2332 02/25/2005 3:23 PM
I'll be waiting.. I signed up to be a beta tester but somebody went insane and decided not to get back to me. heh. I've only been using these message boards since the mid 80s. (Yes, before the internet as we know it)

#2333 03/08/2005 6:03 PM
I've been watching this Next Gen thing rather intensely for a while now, and it's very exciting!

Maybe someone can clear up one question I have... I know a lot is still up in the air, but if "feature complete" is supposed to be near the end of March, what would that mean exactly? Public beta? Or should we expect to wait into April or beyond for a public beta?

I know private beta is going on now, and it's great to know that bugs are being worked out, but even though I've been keeping an eye on the private beta sites I know of, I still haven't managed even a tiny peek at anything NG. Should we expect something to "pop up" (in unfinished form) before the end of March, or am I getting this all backwards?

I'm fine with being patient, just want to get a better handle on what sort of timeline we're looking at. smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849