Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#229090 12/09/2002 7:59 PM
User
User
It's me again with the problems... Well, the server that was running my forums unexpectedly stopped so we had our ISP reboot the server. When it came back online, everything seemed fine or so it seemed. The forums had this error where it could not access the database. So ran the query 'repair table' and it fixed the accessing the database and all seemed well. Now here's the kicker, 3 users had their accounts gone missing along with all their posts! As if they were deleted or something, BUT the "Last Post" thing shows their username as being the last person to reply yet the message from them is gone. Of course we only noticed this a few hours later (after some harsh emails) that some users were missing. haha So my question is, if I have a backup of the database from a week ago, is it possible to merge the old table with the current table and sort of put back all the old posts without erasing the newer ones? Just wondering... any ideas what went wrong, what I should have done, what I shouldn't have done? yes yes, now I have backup of the database every night instead of once a week now. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
If you backup the same way as I do, then you must be using phpMyAdmin and creating *.SQL files or the backup feature of the threads.

In that case I personally would close the boards temporarily, backup the database, and then use Beyond Compare to check for the inconsistencies.

I really don't know if this is what you wanted to read but this is how I would do it.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
User
User
Thanks I'll try that. Will that just tell me the differences in the two files? Or can it actually merge the backup with the current one? I mean is this even possible? To merge two tables together? And have it combine the information that is not similar on both into one table?

Kahuna
Kahuna
It will tell you the differences between the old and the new file (the backups I mean).

Then you will be able to merge the files and save them by transferring data from the left to the right part of the screen (or vica versa).

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Addict
Addict
Merging two database backups is risky, though. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you could wind up with inconsistent data in the database.

Sponsored Links
User
User
Yeah, it actually does...Hmm..perhaps just say oh well the server decided to purge and I guess some people weren't so lucky then...oh well.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849