Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#228367 11/26/2002 3:36 AM
Kahuna
Kahuna
Hi all Linux gurus

I think that I will try the daring step and try to install linux in one of my boxes, to play around with at the beginning but later on to replace the Windows 2K server that I have to run threads.

Bare in mind that Linux is nothing more than a word to me right now so please be patient with my dumb questions

I want to know what version of linux is advisable to install
How to install
Where to get (buy or download)
What version of PHP
What version of MySQL
What version of Apache.
How will I be able to access the box.

Bare in mind that although I was used to the command prompt and the good old DOS days (gosh I remember version 1.3 ) I have no idea what is going on with Linux.

Any online resources books, etc. will be most appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Sponsored Links
Hal_dup2 #228368 11/26/2002 10:31 AM
Addict
Addict
Ahh, I asked myself this question a few years ago. Linux nowadays is probably almost easier than windows to install. It boots from CDrom, has a graphical interface to explain the steps of the installation.. and before you know it, you're up and running with a windows-like shell if you choose.

Firstly, if you will be hosting your site off this eventually, I would recomend Redhat 7.3. It is what almost all of the webhosts use if they have linux servers. Some use 7.2 or another slightly older version, but redhat is by far the standard.

Many other hosts choose FreeBSD... but that is a whole different animal, and would require a different thread

As for obtaining it, if you are on broadband, simply go to www.redhat.com and they have a download area. They have varous FTP mirrors where you can download the ISO images and burn them to CD. The latest version is 8.0, but I would stay away from that for a server environment as .0 releases are usually kinda buggy, and there have been a lot of unhappy people using 8.0 and the latest version of PHP.

When you install linux, you can choose to have it install everything at once, including mysql, php, etc. You may want to download newer versions.. but at least to get you started it can come installed that way.

How you will be able to access the box depends on what services you have running. Such as HTTPD, FTP, SSH, TELNET, etc.. if you enable these, you can connect to them in that fashion.

I would recomend this book if you are somewhat new.. I picked it up used off amazon.com for 5 dollars I think, and it even comes with redhat 6.1 on CD for you.

It is called "Linux Administration - A beginner's Guide"

It takes you sorta slow at first, explaining how to install linux, how to configure some basic settings... and towards the end it gets you in pretty deep about how to configure various services and to have a secure webserver.

I highly recomend it

palmen #228369 11/26/2002 10:53 AM
Kahuna
Kahuna
Thanks a million msula. Much appreciated!

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
if I remember correctly you are here in Europe?
Probably a better solution for you would be Suse Linux since it is what most of the Sites here use and you may find better driver support for Suse with ISDN/DSL products available here.

Pappy

Kahuna
Kahuna
You are right Pappy. I am based in London.

I have already downloaded RedHat, so to download SuSe wouldn't harm at all... Aaahhh! the glorious T1 at work! Nice to be an Admin once in a while

Thanks for your advice

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
badfrog
badfrog
somewhere on the coast of Maine
Forum Statistics
Forums63