Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#226651 10/21/2002 11:32 PM
Addict
Addict
WHY WHY WHY, it always happens like this. I do backups of my db once every few days, never ONCE encountered a problem. Well, tonight, I announced to everyone I was moving to our new dedicated server at midnight.

So, I closed the forums, went into SSH and typed my typical mysqldump command.. and get this!!!!

code:
mysqldump: Out of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
mysqldump: Got error: 2008: MySQL client run out of memory when retrieving data from server

AHHH!!!!! I should have been already live and on my new server, but this all of a sudden happens. Never once in over a year seen this problem, and of course it happens at the worst possible time.

So, just wondering, will this go away when the server starts using less ram, or is it one of those things the server may need a reboot to free everything up? Last time a server with this host crashed they disabled my database saying it was my fault! I just want to get my DB off from their server and run, I'm sick of this crap.

Sponsored Links
palmen #226652 10/22/2002 8:28 AM
Addict
Addict
Wow, that was stupid. I was up until 4am waiting for it to work, trying other methods... NOTHING. So I go to bed, wake up first thing and try again, it still didn't work!

finally, for fun I tried using the --quick flag. And WTF it worked! (I think) I tried the word quick as a joke, then after looking it up it may have really been what I needed *shakes head*

palmen #226653 10/22/2002 12:46 PM
Addict
Addict
That could make sense.

The mysqldump documentation says Note that if you run mysqldump without --quick or --opt, mysqldump will load the whole result set into memory before dumping the result. This will probably be a problem if you are dumping a big database.

The description for the --quick option is Don't buffer query, dump directly to stdout. Uses mysql_use_result() to do this.

I use the following options for backups: --quick --add-drop-table --add-locks --lock-tables.

The --opt option, as suggested by the MySQL manual, includes all of the above options with the addition of --extended-insert (Use the new multiline INSERT syntax, for more compact and faster inserts statements.). I omit the --extended-insert option since it makes it more difficult to view or edit the dump file with a text editor, should that be desired.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63