Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
site? I have several sites all on the same server, can I use one forum for both sites?

I am completely clueless when it comes to this stuff (but have a forum that keeps looking better and better thanks to Allen!).

I was wondering if it would work if you do it like some sites when you do a search and then click on what you searched for and it opens up in a frame of the site you were on to begin with. Could that be an option if it can't run on two sites at once?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Running two copies of UBBT on seperate sites would require two licenses.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
First things first....

Allen Rocks!

Next... With a license, you can only have one "real" install per domain.

I recently rescued some sites from Community Zero (who wanted to start charging) and gave them a forum at my site.

Then I set up duplicate "Integrated Index Pages" which then link right into their forum. But with a few clicks my whole site is available.

For example.... my main site's entry page.... www.measurection.com
The entry page for the MMA2OM group (rescued from Community Zero) www.measurection.com/mma2om

Took a little hacking with IIP to get it to only pull stuff from that groups forum.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
okay, you lost me.

I have no problem purchasing another license. I would be all for it.

Josh, I'm so lost here, I see where you have the entry page, but what I'm thinking is this, first you have this page
http://www.ultimatenurse.com/ubbthreads/index.php?Cat

then you have http://www.randomsitenameblabla.com/etc.etc.etc. that goes to the same forum and then it is open in their domain name but is the same forum and they can post to it.

didn't make any sense did I?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
The cookies in threads won't work right under multiple domains. Heck you have trouble if you use yourdomain.com and www.yourdomain.com. They aren't interchangable when it comes to the cookies.

You'd need separate licences and separate installs to do that without "troubles".

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
can't you have 2+ sites pointing to the same database? I think that is what he's asking

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Oh, OK -
Guess you could.

But all sites would see all the forums.

I wonder if you have multiple installs with the same database.... does that violate the license agreement?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Not sure about that, I think that would require a license for each install still.

If you want to limit the number of forums each site sees, you can have new members when they register go to specific usergroups, eh? The in your forum details, assign which usergroup you want seeing which forums, some forums could be available to all

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Guess that would be doable.

Someone did write a hack to let you choose a usergroup when you register.

I wonder if someone smart (like JustDave ) could make it choose he group based on the referer (the domain it came from)?

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I want them all to see all of the forums.

I just want the graphics to be different and match the seperate sites, such as the top nav bar for the rest of the site and the top graphics.

Purchasing another license would be fine. It would be like one database on two sites.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Well then, what Allen suggests should work fine.... install the sites under each domain. I think to get mysql to work, they should be on the same server.... I'm not the database expert.

But the includes (which does the header) etc... are all specified in the config file and not in the database.

That should work fine.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
on this site, when you click on any of the links here, the top part of the main site stays, but you are now navigating in another website. Would this work? ???
demo of what I mean

Last edited by shortbus; 10/16/2002 1:12 AM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
that's a framed setup and is a little cheezy ethically-speaking Your CPA friend might choose to do it

How would this work for you?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
So basically you are saying it is kind of unethical. Do you mean by trying to get around buying a license, or just the principal of it? I'm not exactly too clued in on these matters Allen, as you have already discovered . If it's a license thing, I'll just buy another one.

Thanks for the response.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
?

You are wanting to frame your own site? That's no problem, the link you pointed us to was framing other people's content and including their own banner ads

You are wanting to run the same forum on 2 different sites? It would look better with 2 forum scripts rather than framing...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I guess I could just redirect it, but, hell, I don't know. I just wanted both site users to be able to use the same forum, because they both are related to nurses, without having to point them to a different site.

User
User
I don't see what the problem is here. You set up your forum on one of your sites (SiteA). If anyone wants to access the forum, they have to click on the link that you have set up on Site A and Site B that points to SiteA. Am I missing something?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63