Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
#225731 10/02/2002 3:37 PM
User
User
I just had the most interesting idea. What if there was a mute button type function that could be applied to users? Like they can still post and stuff but no one else but them or an admin/mod could see the post. Therefore the user wouldn't think anything is wrong but everyone else would be spared from his or her ranting? Oh oh I can already see this being used on me hahaha

Sponsored Links
Div #225732 10/02/2002 3:44 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
This has been mentioned before. I think it's a GREAT idea and could find uses for it myself.

I think over at the InfoPop community they call it "private moderation."

I've got no idea where to start to implement it.... but it seems like a great idea!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I've seen this on some other forums and is a great idea. But, it is configured so that a user can ignore the users of their choice rather than the admin doing it, affecting all users. Individual settings, I think would be a better way of handling it. The ability to ignore PM from ertain users would go along the same lines.

#225734 10/02/2002 4:32 PM
User
User
I think the admin mute would be better, then users can't mute mods or admins...unless it was written so that they couldn't...oooh that'd be neat

Div #225735 10/02/2002 5:01 PM
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
This would be a great feature!

I think it be great both ways... Admin setting for all, and users to be able to select their own ignores as well. Yes, it´d be great.

Sponsored Links
User
User
Has anyone thought if this is possible yet? I'm getting some really irking people who I ban them, they come back as another username, usually same username with the number 1 behind it or something and moan and moan. Since I can't monitor the boards 24/7 they post all this garbage all the time. Banning an IP was a thought but some of them are on dialup or have dynamic ip's so that didn't help....please please MUTE function!! haha

Div #225737 11/21/2002 9:11 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Haven't seen anyone do this yet.... but I would love it.

The open topic software over at infopop also has a "private moderation" feature... where certain users get moderated... but don't know it.

Daine #225738 11/21/2002 11:06 PM
Hi,

Funny this, I was just about to start a thread on the exact same topic.

I too am having problems with a certain poster who pops up every now and then looking for attention. I can of course ban him, but he is usually back in minutes.
Since his main reason for posting is to get as much attention as possible, having other people ignore him would be the easiest way to get rid of him.

I would love to see a feature like this.

Sanuk!

Div #225739 11/22/2002 12:03 AM
Addict
Addict
One complication is how to make the "muted" user's posts visible only to him without breaking the threaded structure.

For example, suppose the user posts X in reply to A, and then someone posts B in reply to X. Initially, the thread would look like this:

A
... X
... ... B

If you "mute" the user, then you would want him to still see the thread as above, while everyone else would see it this way:

A
... B

So post B would either be parented to A or X, depending on who's viewing the thread. That might be tricky to do.

Addict
Addict
If you just make new posts (done after he has been set as muted) by the muted user muted the problem wouldn't arise. The old posts can be removed by hand, which only has to be done once, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I see what you are saying.

I guess when you "muted" a user... it would apply only to future posts.

So if he posted... it would just be as nobody replied to him.

I've thought about how to pull this off. Don't have time for a while to play with it... maybe after the first of the year.

I have no idea how much my ideas impact the database.... but:

I had thought of adding a field to the w3t_Posts table... maybe called "Muted" with a yes/no value.

When the user posts.... it checks his profile to see if he should be "muted". If he's muted the post value gets set to yes.

OK - so then when viewing posts etc... the only people who see posts with a muted value of 'yes' are the user.... the admins and the mods of that forum. They would see "***MUTED***" or something on the post so they would know that others wouldn't see it.

Would also need search.php to check for muted as well.

An option could be added to editpost where you could "unmute" that post. Thus a "private moderation" sort of thing.

OK - so I think I can pull that off up til this point... fairly well.

THEN - what about new post count etc.... when I try to think about how that works... I get dizzy. I think just muting it from postlist and showflat & showthreaded.

Maybe all that is way to much server load. I don't know.

But that's the thoughts I have. I think I could pull it off... but people would get confused with the new post counter etc....

Also.. once I "unmute" a specific post... it wouldn't flag it as new.

Just thinking outloud. (watch out!)

c0bra #225742 11/22/2002 12:43 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'm thinking the purpose for this is someone on your board... who maybe is OK sometimes... then goes a little nutty. You're not sure if he's a troll.
Sometimes he's useful... sometimes he's ugly.

If you ban him... he gets mad and just tries ways to come back. But if you do something like this... then he has no idea....

You can let his real posts "go live" and then people would respond. The nasty bad posts.. you could just leave as "muted" and he would just think people ignored him.

Users have also asked to be able to mute specific users. This get's way complicated. And I had figured if I ever attempt something like that... just replace the body of the post with "YOU HAVE MUTED THIS POST" so that threads don't break.

Addict
Addict
I think this is two, or maybe even three, different mods....

1. Private moderation - Where the admin can put some users under moderation, so that every post from that user needs to be approved by admins/mods before they are shown on the board. Maybe, it should also be possible to mark the post as muted, so the user can see it, but not anyone else, but it might not be needed if there already is a user muting function.

2. User muting - Admins can mute all new posts from a user, the user himself sees his own posts, but no-one else does (except admins/mods, who sees them with something like **MUTED** added to the subject and/or body).

3. Bozo Filter - Users can ignore certain users so that they won't see what they write. The content of all such posts are exchanged with the text "YOU HAVE MUTED THIS POST" and the subject is changed to "This post is muted" (or maybe with **MUTED**) added to it (we don't won't them to be intrusive though, they should be as unnoticable as is possible).

Combing these three functions should allow for a system with which you can keep a clean board without too much hassle.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Exactly...

Thanks for taking my incoherent thoughts and making them understandable.

I've been working too much lately.

Addict
Addict
Regarding new post count, it should be possible to do it in the same way as moderated posts. There is a condition which checks if the entered post is moderated and if so, doesn't update the counter. The counter is instead updated in the script that sets the posts as readable.

This one would be a bit trickier though, since the muted user should see the post count with his own posts or he might catch on. Could be done with an extra condition check when showing post count and if it is a muted user, the count query is changed and "WHERE B_Muted = 'no'" is removed.

With the added possibility to unmute certain posts, the private moderation mod in my earlier post won't be necessary.

Addict
Addict
No problem, I needed to see them together myself as well, to decide which ones would be most interesting.

The private moderation mod probably won't be necessary though, if it is possible to unmute specific posts in the User Muting-mod.

BTW, even though I really would like the User Muting-mod myself, since we've had some problems with annoying users, it hasn't been that much though, so I'm not planning on coding this myself. I would use it if someone else did it though.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
With limited time.. I started with the easiest one.

I have written and posted Private Moderation. It uses the existing threads system for approving posts.

I've posted the mod here.

You simply add the user to private moderation similar to when they are banned. There's a link when you edit their profile.

I've got it set up that only Admins can enter or remove a user from private moderation. Also Admins, Mods and the User will get notification via PM.

This requires modifying addpost.php, ubbthreads.php and /admin/selectoption.php. There are also 2 new files for the admin directory, and it does require a field added to the Users table.

Daine #225748 11/23/2002 11:40 AM
Very cool! My ubb.classic users have been wanting this functionality as well. I think the approach of letting users "mute" specific other posters would be the best route.

We we're hoping to have this functionality as a "donating member" perk, for people that donate cash for hosting fees etc.

I'd be happy to help/test for anyone who wants to get this user defined muteing up and running

Nice work!

Journeyman
Journeyman
We are eagerly awaiting that kind of hack too.. (Contributing members being able to ignore specific users posts)

Thanks!

Deejay

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63