Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#225615 09/30/2002 10:55 AM
Addict
Addict
Hmm, is it just me, or is the avatar system in this program not very user friendly, and not very effective all the time? I think 99% of all my emails and PMs have to do with avatars, why they aren't showing up, why their images become stretched, etc...

Also, I notice the way it works is each user has their image as xxx.jpg, according to their number. Well, this is great and all, but most of the time when a user updates avatars, it simply overwrites the file and stays the same name. So most of the time the browser cache is still using the old image, so they complain they can't see their new avatar, etc.

And you have cases where a person's avatar is there one day, and suddenly the next day it is a red X, and then when they try to upload it, they still encounter problems, etc.

I just wonder if there are any changes to be made to this system in the future, or other suggestions to make it better, since I spend so much time dealing with troubleshooting avatars I can't answer other more important questions.

Sponsored Links
palmen #225616 09/30/2002 12:54 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
The new 6.1 boards seem to be sizing them correctly. New uploaded ones at least. As far as caching goes, add a message to the editbasic.tmpl to remind them to clear their cache? Or you can use my forum avatar hack which will not have a cache problem if they change avatars, or you can only let them link to a url for avatar which would eliminate the problem.

neuron #225617 09/30/2002 1:07 PM
Addict
Addict
I will look into your hack, thanks. I used to have it so they could externally link to avatars, but unfortunately, my group of members are not computer savvy and most don't have places to host images. Which is what the photo gallery we have is for, people can upload images there, and it even makes thumbnails, etc.

But I'll check yours out, thanks

palmen #225618 09/30/2002 1:20 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You might check into Josh's forum for some helper threads that would explain avatars and other things more easily to your users. Would probably save you some answering...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
palmen #225619 09/30/2002 1:46 PM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I wouldn't want to see the way the user picture uploads are named change as it allows for easy tracking by their user number. If you allowed storage of any named file the possiblity exists that two users could upload the same named file and then if one decides to change their photo the other would lose theirs. Perhaps placing a reminder next to the upload field saying they may have to view their profile and refresh their page to see the new photo.

The photo's used to be stored as uid-somepic.jpg but I forget why that was changed. This would help prevent the caching problem provided the pictures had different names or extentions.

Sponsored Links
SurfMinister #225620 09/30/2002 1:52 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I had forgotten but a more detailed explanation to Avatars was suggested.

I've got some info on that included in how to update profiles etc... but maybe I'll work up something more specific.... also mentioning the cache is a good idea.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

sjsaunders #225621 10/02/2002 7:50 AM
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
As far as I remember, the reason it was changed was because if the avatar gif was called anything you like, as "userId_mydog.gif", when you wanted to upload a different pic as "userId_me.gif" you´d end up with two avatars on the system. This means you could end up uploading hundreds of avatars, taking server system resources.

If the system then deleted "userId_mydog.gif" when uploading "userId_me.gif" then all previous links would be broken. On the other hand, now these are called dynamically, so you could probably start referencing the new gif url rather than making url static and only changing the file itself.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63