Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
...Personal on my computer. I already have Windows XP and I heard yesterday that having the two together on the same computer is going to cause a lot of problems. Something about Microsoft having to be the 'top dog' and that any partition I make (I'm using Partition Magic) isn't free of Windows XP. Is any or all of that true?

The person I was speaking with (who uses RedHat 7.2) said that I should format my hard drive and put in RedHat 7.3 and then install Windows (because RedHat doesn't have the same top-dog mentality of M$). Can I do that? He said to install Windows 95 and upgrade to XP. One problem is I only have the full version of XP, not the upgrade, and I don't have Windows 95. What do I do?

I was also told that RedHat 7.3 (or Linux in general) can emulate Windows, so I could still use software made for Windows (Civilization III for me). Is that true?

He also stated that there are no sound drivers for Linux. Is that true? It seems a little hard to believe. I really don't want to have to buy new hardware for my computer...

Lastly: How do I format my hard drive? My coworker said to go under 'Run' in XP and type 'cmd'. I did and I get something that looks like DOS. I just don't know what to do next? Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Go browse and search through some of the posts at linuxnewbie.org and they have some good pages on general stuff too. RedHat and XP are pretty common to have on a dulaboot machine, so I know it's possible. Personally, I have redhat on two different machines, but they are only linux. There are many help pages on the net about making dualboot machines, perhaps you should search google for some to read up on it. There is probably a way to install redhat on your system without having to reinstall XP.

BTW, RedHat 8.0 was released today.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63