Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
User
User
Is there a way to restrict or "approve" avatars before users can use them? Cause in my forums, the users really like the avatars cause it allows them to put a face to a name, but of course there are a few who put up pics of nipples, buttocks, etc etc. And when we tell them hey stop that, they change it to something tame, then sporadically change it back. So short of watching them 24/7 or banning them is there a way that administrators have to approve changes in avatars? Just a thought

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hmm, perhaps having it stuck in a queue before modified. Would require an addition to a table or a new table to hold the info this way. Send a PM to the admin, then he can goto a page to view the avatars, then check a box to approve and move it to the right field in the table to be used.

User
User
How hard you think that would be to do?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Kaspar,

That would be pretty cool. I've got no idea how to begin.

I've modifed the text files so that the Avatar sections add "*****G-RATED PICS ONLY******" yet indeed, many people do not read or want to screw with me.

So then I usually go in and replace it with the question mark face....then PM the user.

Not so bad now that the pics update with the profile. The used to be stored in the posts and had no way to fix them (as I wasn't DB savvy at the time).

User
User
Yeah, I "punish" them by setting their pic width and pic height in the database to 1 by 1 hahahha. But aside from that, I guess we'll just have to live with it.

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I learned how the avatars are stored while I made the avatar forum hack, I'll think this one over and give it a go tonight or tomorrow. I may add a new table to act as a temperary holding spot for the avatar link, before it is approved. I guess if they upload an image, or put in a link, either URL can be stored into the temp spot until admin approval moves it into the user table. This would store the URL, but not have it used until admin approves. You guys think that a PM to the admin is a good idea? Maybe I'll just add a config setting for the PM. Busy site admins would just goto the avatar approval page once a day or whatnot.

I'm gonna make this a seperate hack, so you can have the page of forum avatars be used right away, since they are already pre-approved.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
OK, starting on this one tonight

Josh, I'm stealing that headbanger smile! Too cool

User
User
You guys are too cool haha

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm pretty close to done on this one. I keep finding bugs though, so I'm still busy squashing them. Seems there were more options with the avatars than I originally thought. Such goes the hacking game...

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Well, this hack is still in progress. I keep running into logic errors in my code that are giving me the runaround. Managed to add another bug last night then gave up, LOL

User
User
Thanks for trying. I mean if that woulda worked cool, if not that's alright. I found a better way to get back at them, I make their picture size 1 pixel by 1 pixel by a little creative SQL statement haha. then anything they upload shows up as a little dot. hahaha not the best way to do it nor the easiest but FUN!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Oh I'm still planning on releasing this hack, it's just being a pain in the neck to get done. I've spent over 10 hours on it so far, and it is working but there are a few minor cases that I am trying to iron out so it's complete. I may just give up and say too bad on a few rare cases, lol Lots of hacks have their quirks and limitations.

JJS Offline
Aglavalin:

Have you noticed there is no capacity to check or change a user's avatar when logged in as admin and accessing "edit profile" through the control panel?

The only way to change the avatar is to become that user---unless I'm missing something.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
That will change when I finish this hack. There will be a new admin menu item to approve new avatars, as well as a few new pages for the admin and users in regards to avatars.

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
I´m still on an old version but things might not have changed that much in that sense... I strongly believe Admin should be able to edit EVERYTHING in a user´s profile and prefferences without having to "become that user".

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
You can, it's called phpmyadmin

You can edit everything then, good tool to learn to use!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
OK, this hack is finally done! Here it is

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849