Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 15
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Msula,

I seem to have become the "official" mac tester for threads.

So I took a look at your site, using Mac Netscape 6.2 (the latest version) and it all looked fine.

I am thinking that they are using an old version of Netscape.... which even on the PC doesn't play well at all.

Hope that helps!

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Yeah, I assumed it was an older version (dumb me forgot to check) but the macs are are on are such POS machines, they installed OS 10 on them.. realized the computers were not fast enough, had to revert back to OS 8.x something, and the NS is probably older than the OS is. When viewing via IE on a mac it all looked fine.

I hate netscape, why can't it just go away and die already

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
They'll simply have to either upgrade or live with the borders. It sounds like they are using NS3 or something - as long as your site is usable by them it's unrealistic to expect it to look decent for a browser never meant to still be in use today.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yike!
Mac OS 8 - that alone is awful. 9 was much better.... X is awesome.

One never knows why MAC's are still in existence let alone Netscape.

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I'm here on the mac again at work, NS 4.7

The borders are still messed up even here at threadsdev, but the posts themselves are better. They don't run off the right of the page having to horizntally scroll.

I have only had one user mention to me this problem, so I simply told them to use IE and they told me "wow, that fixed it, and it looks so much nicer now" haha.. why do people use such out of date stuff I do not know

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
If I recall correctly, someone mentioned that this was do to the fact that the style reference didn't carry over when used in the <tr> tags.

<tr class="lighttable"><td></td></tr>

should be changed to

<tr><td class="lighttable"></td></tr>

I think this is the problem your seeing but I could be wrong...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I have users on Netscape 4.7 on the PC that doesn't work right.

They can't stay logged in and the registerednav.tmpl won't appear for them.

I also think in 4.7 when you make a post...the text doesn't wrap in the entry box... it just goes on and on forever. You have to scroll left and right.

I'm really not a netscape fan on the mac or PC.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I put the version check in rather hastely and now that we have betas greater than br1 it needs to be adjusted. Also, Navaho has mentioned over at Infopop that 6.1 final will be out on Monday!

I've modified IIP 5.0 to use a templated open/close table file and will also be releasing this updated IIP 5.0 on Monday.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
To fix IIP 5.0 so it will work with 6.1 beta releases greater than br1 change these lines in your index.php file:

$versionCheck[1] = str_replace("b1","",$versionCheck[1]);
$versionValue = "{$versionCheck[0]}{$versionCheck[1]}";

to this:

$versionCheck2 = split("b",$versionCheck[1]);
$versionValue = "{$versionCheck[0]}{$versionCheck2[0]}";

I think that should do the trick.

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Hey dave, I don't know if this is from upgrading to 6.1 lastnight or what... but I added a new post in my announcements forum (to be displayed on the main page) and it isn't showing up

I haven't changed anything with IIP, so I dunno.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Are you using cache? Then it wont show up untill cache is updated. I'm not sure what you have for time settings though so I can't say when it will update. You can refresh IIP's cache by going to your site's index: http://somedomain.com/index.php?Cat=&RefCache=1

This will not work unless your an admin and your logged in.

Addict
Addict
that worked. Although I'm not sure why it didn't update the cache, it is set for only an hour I think

thanks

Hi,

I just upgraded to 6.1 today and tried to upgrade to IIP5.0 as well, but the index page kept coming up as "Cloded for updating" no matter what I did. Yes, I did go through the config file carefull and make sure everything was set properly, including the $configured = 1; , so I had to revert to the previous version, which still works okay with 6.1.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Use the online editor to make the changes. There are some blanks in the online configure panel that need to be filled in with either a 1 or a 0 so keep an eye open for them. I'll be updating IIP 5.0 one more time to allow for Allen's adaptation of Bookie's Blam Ice templates. I might get it uploaded over the old file before the night is over.

I'll also generate a complete configure file so when someone edits by hand they can see what fields they need to fill in. It's still best to do it from the browser though.

JustDave, you da man! IIP looks GREAT!

Add one more web site to the "IIP list".

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hey Dave:

I plan on installing this on my site just and soon as I get it upgraded to v6.1. I had a feature suggestion for you in regards to the overall direction of the program.

My suggestion is for a more user-customizable interface. What I'm thinking of is having a default configuration that is used for everyone, but allow each user (via some sort of configuration panel) to determine the boxes they wish to add to their front page and the order in which they should appear.

This would allow those users who are more interested in who's online and who has the most posts, etc. to add those to their front page. Those who are more interested in news articles, etc. could add those to their page and remove the others. Each user would be able to control his/her experience on the website with more flexibility.

Thoughts?

If you're interested, I'd be happy to work with you on testing. I have around 350+ members on my board and they're pretty understanding when it comes to testing and tinkering (they have to put up with me. )

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hey Dave:

I plan on installing this on my site just and soon as I get it upgraded to v6.1. I had a feature suggestion for you in regards to the overall direction of the program.

My suggestion is for a more user-customizable interface. What I'm thinking of is having a default configuration that is used for everyone, but allow each user (via some sort of configuration panel) to determine the boxes they wish to add to their front page and the order in which they should appear.

This would allow those users who are more interested in who's online and who has the most posts, etc. to add those to their front page. Those who are more interested in news articles, etc. could add those to their page and remove the others. Each user would be able to control his/her experience on the website with more flexibility.

Thoughts?

If you're interested, I'd be happy to work with you on testing. I have around 350+ members on my board and they're pretty understanding when it comes to testing and tinkering (they have to put up with me. )

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Déjà vu.... LoL

I have had that same idea a few times but I don't think it's as practical as having individual templates that users can select from rather than them placing what box where on a per user basis.

I have been keeping the idea of some sort of user selectable features in mind but I just haven't gotten around to that end of things yet. I'm really trying to get all of the major features of a nuke type portal built in and then once that's done I can start to polish things up and add such tweaks for users and whatnot.

btw, I'll be posting an update of 5.0 tonight to work with the Blam Templates Allen created from Bookie's for .classic. I have added back the ability to designate if the news posts should have the username and date displayed too. I have also added in 3 custom pal boxes in which you can add your own html to be displayed on the main page. I haven't made an easy way to add your own html so will work on that later tonight. I have said this before but it just doens't happen... lol this will be the last update for 5.0, everything else I do will be geared for the next major release.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just installed this today and it works great But I am having some issues with the online forms to edit the config file. It seems that some of the variables are being set to nothing, not even a "" to say it. So this is creating parse errors when php runs into a ; unexpectantly. I fixed this by adding "" where there was nothing by editing the config file manually. What am I doing wrong? Any idea?

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Don't edit the config file manually.

It's ment to be set up from your browser. There are some blank text boxes that need a 1 or a 0 so pay close attention as you scroll down the configure panel.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Scratch letting this updated release out tonight... lol I'm headed to bed. Been a long day. I'll zip it up and post it in the morning.

sjsaunders #223793 09/26/2002 12:07 AM
Hey JustDave,

Aglavalin is right: there is some sort of bug in the config page that is setting variables to zero. Here is what happened to me:

1) I set the option to not display the initial instructions (the changes to the templates, etc.) so that it would not display when I went into the editor.

2) Now when I make a change in the editor and click on the button at the bottom of the page to save the changes the variable that should be set to "0" for displaying the initial instructions is set to nothing and I get a pars error when my index page loads. Manually editing the variable (adding the 0) fixes the problem.

I've even had all the variables reset to nothing, but that may have been due to a poor connection with the server when I was trying to update the page.

sjsaunders #223794 09/26/2002 12:13 AM
Hey JustDave,
If you look at my site I post news on a daily basis. On my old index I hacked the new posting script that comes with threads so that I would only get one header per day and it made the news a lot less "cluttered".

This is what the old page looked like.

I know, pretty plain and borring compaired to IIP5 But I would like to be able to format the news postings in IIP 5 like my old page (including the way I have the date set up).

If you don't have time could you please point me in the right direction for hacking your news pal?

Last edited by Dalantech; 09/26/2002 12:15 AM.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I tried this many times, with my 4.3 config file, with the one that comes with 5. It was not updating all the fields in the config file, even clearing ones I edited by hand. Instead of saving it as

$blahblah = 0;

it was doing this

$blahblah = ;

which gives a parse error. it did this at least 10 times in the config file. I finally gave up on the admin menu and just finished the settings by hand, LOL

Many of the fields I just changed to

$blahblah = "";

and it cleared up the parse errors.

It works ok now, No biggie as I prob wont change the config much anyways.

<thinks the evil blue wall is behind this conspiracy>

Last edited by Aglavalin; 09/26/2002 1:28 AM.
I ran into the same problem: All the variable values cleared, and I'm not sure why (could have been due to poor connectivity between my PC and the server since I'm on ISDN in Italy connecting to web server in the States).

It was so bad that I FTPed the original config pal back up to the server, editted it again from the IIP editor page, and then backed up the config pal once I got it to work.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok I'll run some tests before releasing this update. Not sure why this would be happening but I'll see if I notice anything.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I believe that with the templated version that's coming you will be able to create the news column how ever you want it.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I can't seem to duplicate this error.

Am I understanding you correctly? Are you saying that variables in the configure panel are being lost? Or are you saying that your setting variables of your own, and not original IIP ones, and that data is being lost?

If the latter then there's not much I can do about that for this version. I mean, it could be done but it's easier to do it the way .threads does when the variables are all in the same array. That way you can figure out what's been added by the webmaster and what was original by cycling through them and comparing them to a list of originals.

I've set the "display initial" to 0, set some other values to 0 or 1 depending on the original value and yet I can't make this error happen.

Is this happening on IIS ? I dunno... just trying to gather some more concise info.

jacksonm99 #223800 09/26/2002 7:44 AM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok after further playing I figured out what was happening. The "showinitial" variable wasn't being set to 0 in the config file because when it's hidden it has no value when editing. I'll have to place a hidden input tag in it's place when that portion of the configure panel is being hidden.

Thanks for the heads up on that, both of you.

I'll update this next release and get it zipped up and loaded before lunch.

sjsaunders #223801 09/26/2002 8:51 AM
Addict
Addict
[]Ok after further playing I figured out what was happening. The "showinitial" variable wasn't being set to 0 in the config file because when it's hidden it has no value when editing. I'll have to place a hidden input tag in it's place when that portion of the configure panel is being hidden. [/]

I found that about 3 weeks ago, don't give them credit! lol.. j/k Since then I have been just editing it by hand.

palmen #223802 09/26/2002 9:48 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I had that happen once.

Thought it was me being dumb.

I've learned to backup the config file before I edit.

Hasn't happened again though.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Just a note, I have updated this thread's main post to include version 5.1 which supports a limited templated display. Users using the Blam Ice can select the theme from the configure panel.

Since most files have been changed to allow for the table wrappers (templates) you will need to start fresh.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks, that is extrememly helpful in doing template mods

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Your welcome. Thanks also goes to you for making me feel the need to update for the Blam templates... lol

sjsaunders #223806 09/27/2002 1:30 AM
Sorry I didn't have time to get back to you

With the time difference between the States and Italy it kinda makes it tough to do things in "real time".

Thanks for the update to IIP!!! I'll upload it tonight when I get home.

I have a question about the shout box: Can I make the shout box forum read / write for admins? I had to delete a post due to it's content (*sigh*) and it was a pain to have to change the access level for the shout box forum, delete the post, then change it back.

BTW: I'm running Red Hat Linux / Apache for a web server. NT, IMHO, stands for "Neanderthal Technology"

*Dal puts on his flame retardant underoos...*

jacksonm99 #223807 09/27/2002 8:29 AM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
You could make shoutaddpal.php check the poster's status and if they aren't an admin then just return them back to the shoutbox without adding the post. Shouldn't be to hard.

Being logged in as an admin you should be able to delete any shout in the shout box though by clicking on the box with the x in it. I don't know why you had to actually go in from that side of things to delete the shout. Are your cookies site wide?

Kahuna
Kahuna
Hi Dave,

A big thank you for all the work you and the others put on making our (and your) communities better.

I have installed the 5.1 version on 6.1b1 and it works really well. This weekend I will install 6.1 on my test board and then put all the hacks on it inclusive of the IIP.

Thanks once again.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
sjsaunders #223809 09/27/2002 12:31 PM
Doh! Color me stupid, I didn't realize I could delete a post by clicking on that check box...

jacksonm99 #223810 09/27/2002 12:41 PM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
LoL how bout "uninformed" which would be my fault in the documentation department.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63