Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#223258 08/29/2002 8:51 PM
I have the 'last post by' hack installed.

Person 'A' posts a new topic. Person 'B' posts a response then later, deletes his response. In the index of the forum, Person 'B' is still listed as the last user to post to that topic, even though his message was deleted.

FC

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
testing last post by...

scratch that... I can't delete this post... lol

Anyone seen Allen?

Last edited by JustDave; 08/29/2002 9:15 PM.
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok I think this may be happening when the thread only has one reply to it. When the person that made the reply deletes it the "last post by" should be set to nothing as there are no replies.

Is this the case?

From looking at the code I believe it is.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
we need something to merge threads

please post bugs/ questions in the appropriate thread for the mod... otherwise, I need to move this to the "how do I" forum

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I've tried playing with a "merge" function based on MTO's suggestion where you enter in the post number that a post should be attached to (it's new parent) but I'm not there yet. Might be beyond my abilities. I need to write it up and post, and see if anyone can make it work.

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy

I checked out the link you provided... and because I also have the 'Markup' hack installed, step 7 in the 'last post by' hack is skipped. So your instructions in the link don't apply.... or perhaps can be modified for the 'Markup' hack code.... or since v6.1 is going to interfere with the 'Markup' hack, perhaps something better can be written?

Anyway, no matter how many responses are made to a topic, if the last response is deleted, the name is not removed from the index for the forum. It still says 'by so-n-so' after so-n-so has deleted his response. It should say 'by previous person' if there are more than one response or not say anything at all if the topic only has 1 message. I've tested my board and whether there is just one or many responses, the name is not removed from the index.

In any case, I appreciate all the good work you guys do here.

FC

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
posted by flyingcrow:
Anyway, no matter how many responses are made to a topic, if the last response is deleted, the name is not removed from the index for the forum.

That is why step 7 should not be skipped. It is this step that adjusts the information when a reply is deleted.

However, if you have the "markup" hack installed, step 7 of the "last post by" hack cannot be done because the code is no longer there to change! See what I mean?

Thanks for you help.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
The "markup" hack would need to be changed so the "last post by" hack can be installed correctly then. I'm not sure what the code looks like for the markup hack though. I think Gardener is the author, right?

Edit Note: If the code that needs to be changed isn't there because of the markup hack then that also means that when a post is deleted the number of replies to a thread isn't adjusted as well?

Last edited by JustDave; 08/30/2002 9:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
yes, but will he fix it?

Addict
Addict
I'll see what I can do, I don't use the Last Post By myself, but I should probably be able to figure out what needs to be done.

Addict
Addict
There must be some confusion here. Step 7 of the Last Post By 6.1 is adding a query to deletepost.php and Markuphack never changes anything in that file.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I was wondering what the markup hack had to do with deleting a post...

Sorry, my bad. The confusion arises from the 'markup' hack -vs- the 'reply with quote' hack. Step 7 is omitted - see:

https://ubbdev.com/threads/php/...=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

That leads us back to why the name remains on the index page with regard to the 'last post by' hack? I checked and I've not skipped any steps in the installation of 'last post by' hack.

FC

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
So you put step 7 in then and it still is not updating the information correctly?

I followed all the steps in the 'last post by' hack - none were skipped.

Yet, when the last response is deleted, whether there is one or many responses under the topic, the index for the forum still shows the last poster's name when it should be the previous poster's name (or no name at all if there is only 1 message in the topic).

FC

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I don't think I missed anything but the "reply with quote" doesn't seem to involve the deletepost.php script? I looked at what Wraith has for the altered files list and it's not listed.

In the thread you listed Gardener says:

[]
If you installed the MarkupHack first you can just skip Step 7 on the AutoQuote, since the functionality is already in the MarkupHack.

I believe he is refering to step 7 of the AutoQuote hack, not the "last post by" hack.

Step 7 of the "last post by" hack NEEDS to be used with deletepost.php or the information isn't updated.

Right. If you read above I said, "Sorry, my bad". I had confused that last step 7 in the 'reply with quote' hack with the 'last post by' hack. So just forget all that.

Upon examining my files, I did all steps including step 7 in the 'last post by' hack. And the issue is that the last poster's name is left on the index when the last message is deleted from the topic. Reread the first message that explains it all. Somehow, this hack, the 'last post by' hack needs to be fixed so that it removes the last poster's name from the forum index.

See also: https://ubbdev.com/threads/php/...=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

FC

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Oh ok.

So now the problem is that ubbthreads.php is not updating "last post by" information correctly? Or are you saying postlist.php is not updating correctly?

We'll get to the bottom of this sooner or later... lol

Edit Note: I still can't delete anything around here on a single post basis... lol but I know it's getting worked on so I'll be able to test here soon.

Last edited by JustDave; 08/30/2002 11:53 PM.
I just tested it and the last poster's name remains in the postlist.php index only, not the main forum list aka ubbthreads.php.

See: http://www.nagual.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=OpenForum

And look at for Subject: Dreidel BBS

It only has one message in the topic, no responses yet the last poster's name appears in the postlist.php index (after I deleted my Anon response).

Thanks for your patience.

FC

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Did you use the fix I gave here for such a case scenario?

https://ubbdev.com/threads/php/...ed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post55137

I think that will fix that problem.

Excellent, it worked and removed the last poster's name from the postlist.php index. But this neat little update wasn't included in the .zip file that I originally downloaded.

One other thing... a minor issue. While the last poster's name is removed by the update you provided, the timestamp of the last message (which was just deleted) remains in the index (in place of the original or previous date and time).

It isn't that big of a deal and most people probably won't notice it anyway.

Thanks much!

FC

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
That part is up to .threads itself to update. I noticed that too when testing what you were describing on my test site. That code patch wasn't there till tonight when you posted the problem. After I replied to your first post I seen the flaw but I didn't think what I saw was what you were describing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63