Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I am in the process of moving my ubbthreads from an old server to a new server and need to maintain all the data from the old server to avoid losing thousands of users and their posts.

I used phpmyadmin to dump the data to a .sql file. I dumped structure and data on all tables. Now on the new server Ive tried importing that .sql file by clicking on the browse button to read in that same .sql file but it doesnt appear to work. I ran createtable.php on the new server to make sure the tables were created first before executing the dump. I have several questions:

1.) Do I need to dump structure and data on the entire file or just data?

2.) Should I be dumping one table at at time?

3.) Am I doing this correctly?

I need to have the data moved very soon and Im not sure what to do. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
Hougie,

check out this thread ... it should have what you need to get going on this...

--------------------
Matt Reinfeldt
http://www.mattreinfeldt.com/
Ok...I tried this just as directed. I connect to my server using terminal services. I start an ms dos window. I change directory to: c:\mysql\bin and type mysql

That gives me the prompt:

mysql>

I then type in the dump command as directed and press enter but it gives me this:
-->

So Im assuming I need a semi-colon and I add one

But then it tells me I have an error in my sql syntax.

The directions Ive gotten are so straight forward that I should be able to nail this but its driving me crazy. I found this page that tells me exactly how to do it just as you have specified but I keep getting these errors.

http://www.theprojects.org/tutorials/mysqldump.php

Please help me if you can.

Last edited by hougie2; 06/23/2002 9:10 PM.
Addict
Addict
You're saying that the mysqldump command worked ok, but when you try to use mysql to import the database, it won't accept the password you enter?

Last edited by Dave_L; 06/23/2002 6:02 PM.
Let me explain this better and add a bit of history so as not to confuse.

Originally...I was going to use phpmyadmin to execute a database dump from my old server and ftp the .sql file to my new server and then use phpmyadmin to import that file.

I was able to dump successfully with phpmyadmin. But I cannot import the file with phpmyadmin because the browser times out. Probably due to the file size about 15 meg.

So I followed the advice here by using mysql to do a dump and import from the mysql prompt. Well the syntax looks plenty easy enough but I keep getting syntax errors. I swear Im following it verbatim so I have no idea what Im doing wrong. Once again Im using terminal services to logon to my windows 2000 server not ssh or telnet but that shouldnt make any difference. I just fire up ms dos and change directory to c:\mysql\bin and type mysql to get a mysql prompt.

From the mysql> I type in:
mysqldump -u myusername -p mydatabasename > mydatabasename.sql
and get this arrow: [:"red"]-->[/]

So then I figure its waiting for a semi colon and I add that and get an sql syntax error. I never get to the point where it asks for a password because of the syntax error.

I must be typing something wrong.

Last edited by hougie2; 06/23/2002 9:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
mysqldump isn't a mysql command, it's a separate program, like mysql. You would type in the mysqldump command from the shell prompt.

So what would be the shell program of choice when using windows 2000 server? Do I use telnet or ssh? Ive no clue where to get an ssh program nor what it is. Cant I just logon to the server with terminal services and run a shell program? I obviously need a 101 course on how this all works. Also if mysqldump isnt a command then why is it listed in the documentation complete with syntax at mysql.com? I really appreciate all the help on this!

Addict
Addict
mysqldump is a command, just like mysql. That's what I meant above.

You said you're using an MS-DOS window, so you would type
code:
mysqldump -u myusername -p mydatabasename > mydatabasename.sql

into that window, just like any MS-DOS command.

Since you're using the -p option (unequivalenced), you'll get prompted for the password for the MySQL user myusername. If the password is correct, and that user has select privileges for the database mydatabasename, then the dump will be written to mydatabasename.sql.

Oh man do I feel silly!

I was determined to make it work from a mysql prompt!

Thanks for clearing that up! I just tried the dump and the dump worked. Now for the import.

Last edited by hougie2; 06/24/2002 9:10 AM.
Ok...so I finally figure out how to export and import successfully and get all the data moved over and then...
I cant login!!! My credentials are denied. This must have something to do with the password encryption being lost. How is that fixed? What a nightmare.

Sponsored Links
Alright...so now...I move my data for a different copy of ubbthreads and on that copy of threads I have no problems logging in. What? But the first copy of threads that I imported over does not allow me to login at all. weird. The only difference between these two thread systems is the one that doesnt let me login has much more data than the one that works. Naturally the one with all the data is the most import one.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I don't know about fixing it, but last night I screwed up and clicked "forgot my password", and it reset my password. So I couldn't log in, and I'm the only person using the testboard right now. I had to wait for my temp. password to come in my email and log back in, then change the password back. Maybe you could try the "I forgot my password" and go from there? That will at least get you into the board.

[:"red"]Lisa[/]
That wont do the other 1046 users any good though.

So far I have moved 3 different ubbt systems over to a new server. 2 of the 3 work fine. Its the one with the most data (16 meg) that will not allow any logging in. This just doesnt make sense. All I know is in a matter of days Im going to have 1050 real angry visitors. Unless I figure something out real quick.

Addict
Addict
If it's a time-critical issue, it might be worthwhile to submit a support request to Infopop. It sounds like the only way of resolving this quickly would be for a knowledgeable person to access your server directly and see what's going on.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63