Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 41
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok I haven't had a chance to test this with anything but 6.0 br1 so I'm going to just release it anyhow... lol

Integrated Index Page 4.3 (IIP.4.3)

Q: What is it?
A: It's an addon for UBBT 6.0 that will pull various information out of the forum for display as your main home page.

Q: What are the features?
A: The following information is displayed:

1. News Display - A configurable number of news/article posts and from different boards can be displayed down the center in the same fassion as the popular *nuke portals. Past news/articles can also be displayed along the right hand column (only).

2. Current Poll - This will display the most recent poll posted or may be set to pull a random poll out of the forum. This can be set to use a specific board also. Results will be displayed if the viewer has already voted for the poll. (based on username or ip address)

3. Top Rated Posts - This will display a list of X number of top rated posts in the past 24 hours.

4. Current Threads - This will display a list of new threads posted in the past 24 hours.

5. Top Posters - This will display a list of the top X number of posters.

6. Last Seen - This will display a list of members who have visited the forum most recently. This is not completely accurate because depending on what they are doing at the site their 'laston' information isn't always recorded.

7. Short Stats - This will display various statistical information such as Total Users, Total Posts and New Users in the last 24hrs, 7days, 31 days.

8. Profile Spotlight - This will display a random profile listing name, location, hobbies and bio with a link to the full profile.

9. Quick Search - This will display a seach box that will allow for a quick search of the forums using the standard search default values.

10. Login/Status - This will display a login box or your current status including the number of private messages stored and links to edit your profile and display properties and email subscripitons. Unregistered or users not logged in will see the login box. Logged in users will see their status box.

11. Online - This box displays the number of registered and unregistered users online in the last 10 minutes. It will also list the usernames of the registered users. There are links to view back 10, 20 and 30 minutes.

12. Hot Topic - When a post reaches X number of replies it is displayed in this box with a flaming .gif

13. Menu - This box has various links to other features of IIP.

14. View More Polls - This generates a list of X number of poll posts per page with links to the post and board.

15. File Attachments - This generates a list of X number of file attachments per page. There are also sorting options to display only the files specified such as .txt or .zip files.

16. New Member - This will display a message welcoming the most recent member. This will only be displayed for X number of days.

17. Member Sites - This will display a list of X number of members and their home page links. Only those with this field filled in in their profile will be displayed.

18. Recommend Us - This will display a short form for visitors to fill out and recommend the site to their friends.

18. Call Us Home - IE specific, will not (or should not) display for browsers other than IE. This will allow visitors to set the site as their home page.

19. Add to Favorites - IE specific, will not (and again should not) display for browsers other than IE. This will allow visitors to add the site to their favorites folder. Netscape users will see the "Press CNTRL-D to Bookmark" notice.

All information displayed is based on user groups. Information posted in a "staff" board will only be seen on the index page by those that have access to the staff board. This includes polls and all other forum information.

(just a note, all older IIP files should be replaced with this package)

Download the attachment, unzip and follow the short (and hopefully understandable) IIP.4.3 setup instructions inside the 'pals' folder and then upload to your website. Good Luck and Enjoy.

Example on display at ThreadsDev.com to see what this is. (Looks Great Allen, always looks better on someone else's site, to me... LoL)

edit: login pal fix for threads 6.02:

https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/uploads/52145-loginpal-ubbt6.0.2-fix.zip
Attachments
47069-IIP.4.3.zip (0 Bytes, 18 downloads)

Last edited by AllenAyres; 07/22/2002 8:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
sweet, upping it tonight

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
hehe good Much easier to show what this is than to describe it. LoL

Let me know if there are any problems with the new path and url variables. There should be no problems placing the files anywhere now.

Post deleted by JustDave

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Post deleted by JustDave

Sponsored Links
Post deleted by JustDave

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
ACK ACK! LoL even more that should be changed.

All instances of $threadspath should be changed to $index2threadsPath

*sigh* and I thought I had everything covered this time... LoL

Too bad there is no way to re-upload your file.......

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Yeah I have thought about making that hack... lol has been needed before.

Also in the instructions you still have the following line.
code:
add change it to this:

<a href = "$phpurl/index.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>Home</a>
|
<a href = "$phpurl/$FrontPage.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>{$ubbt_lang['FORUM_IND']}</a>

Shouldn't it be
code:
and change it to this:

<a href = "$url2indexpal/index.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>Home</a>
|
<a href = "$phpurl/$FrontPage.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>{$ubbt_lang['FORUM_IND']}</a>

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
No. $phpurl is correct. It is the same as all of the other links in the navigation bar.

This is only if the index page resides in the same directory as ubbt.

You may want to change this to
code:

<a href = "{$config['homeurl']}/index.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>Home</a>
| <a href = "$phpurl/$FrontPage.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>{$ubbt_lang['FORUM_IND']}</a>

If the index page is outside of the ubbt directory.

I'll add that to the installation text. Thanks.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Or in place of variables in the navigation bar for the index page link you could just hard code the url in. This is probably the best as I have no idea where some people may want to place the page.

But the variable $url2indexpal would cover you wherever they put the index.php.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Yes but that variable is not valid in the ubbt.inc.php file. It would result in an empty string.

We'll I suppose, if you want to get technical.....

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
re-upped, attached to first post now

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Thanks Allen.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
no problemo

Demoing here. A couple little "gotcha's"

- the $configured=1; is now at the bottom of the config file.

- one path needs a trailing slash, the others don't (labeled in the config file itself.)

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
hehe yeah I thought that the $configured variable should be the last thing set. Starting from the top and filling in the information and ending with "Yep, all done".

I left the $index2threadsPath variable open for use with or without the trailing slash, depending on where the index plage is placed. If it's placed in the same directory as threads it should be blank. Otherwise a path such as "ubbthreads/" should be specified.

I'll make sure to make additional comments about that in the configpal file. Thanks.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok I see a few bugs.

Hot Topic should be displaying this main post as there are more than 17 replies than what is being displayed.

When in "full" mode for viewing file attachments, poll listings and member sites the "full" mode doesn't carry over to the other links. It switches back to the normal 2 column view.

I'll get to working on these asap

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Unzip and replace attachmentlistpal.php, membersitespal.php and polllistpal.php with these to make the "full" mode carry over to the other links in these pal boxes.

(file attached, btw)
Attachments
47109-IIP.4.3.fixes.zip (0 Bytes, 9 downloads)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Done

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
pretty sweet Dave!

I love eet!

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
hehehe I was just browsing the attachment list. Seems to be working great.

The style sheets are easy to find with the attachment list too.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok I think this attachment will fix the "Hot Topic" bug. I was ordering by the wrong field. I think it was that simple but I wont know till I can see it working... LoL

(file is attached. unzip, replace and upload)
Attachments
47119-IIP.4.3.hottopicpal-fix.zip (0 Bytes, 9 downloads)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That fixed it

If you want, I'll put the bugfixed files in the zip in the first post

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I hope you don't mind, but it might save a few questions

I upped it to the first post and here it is as well

https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/uploads/47069-IIP.4.3.zip

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
That would be great I was going to suggest it...

I wonder if some of these replies should be cleaned out as to not confuse anyone reading this thread for the first time? If you think it's a good idea feel free to clean up some replies. Perhaps even remove the old 4.2 thread so noone skips by 4.3 also...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
We can lock the old ones and I'll see about your moderator privileges now

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Locking is good
I do make daily sacrafices of phone cord to the DSL gods that be but I have yet to be blessed with broadband... LoL no static IP for me.

In reply to:

I do make daily sacrafices of phone cord to the DSL gods

LOL!!

Veteran
Veteran
Dave what about making a wordlets files so that I could translate it into french

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Seperate language file(s) is something I am currently working on.

I'll be spending some quality time on this this weekend.

Veteran
Veteran
Great that way I'll add them to the other french files

Veteran
Veteran
Well done.

Did you give any thought as to whether this would be possible to implement on a community basis, and restrict the data on the index page to certain categories?

If not - can it be hard-coded into the scripts? - I would have a separate folder for each community and so would load these into their own pals folder just below this community folder.

Any pointers for trying this?

Regards,

Ian

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I'm not sure how hard it would be to make the display catagory based. As it is, threads is not catagory based either. If the user does not have the correct group access for the boards under a catagory the boards are not displayed. Neither is the catagory since there are no boards in it to be displayed.

If you limit users to specific boards then the information displayed on the index page will only be from them boards. (with exceptions to information such as Top X Posters or Short Stats as this information is not based on board/group access. (probably a couple more boxes not coming to mind)

Veteran
Veteran
In the tests that I have done, the index shows the information from all for the categories.

For example...

http://www.nonleague.net/threads/index.php?Cat=2,7

will still show the poll for example from category 1 - clicking on the forum name gives the following in the browser

http://www.nonleague.net/threads/postlist.php?Cat=2,7&Board=test1

however if you then click on the catergory 1 (General Discussion) title you are then taken back to..

http://www.nonleague.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=2,7&C=1

which does not show catergory 1, but is getting confusing

It appears that the index page is ignoring the ?Cat=2,7 bit of the url - is ther anyway that this can recognise it, in the same way that ubbthreads.php does.

I understand about the board wide sections i.e for members etc., but if I am going to use the index page (and I think it is excellent), I would like to avoid confusing my poor users

My communities will be linking say to http://www.nonleague.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=1,2,7 from their own sites, and can still do so, but I would like to give them their own smart home page

All of my users will have group access to all forums on the site (except private ones), but these will be through the pull down menus at the top, and not necessarily through the built in navigation on threads.

Or am I going about all this in the wrong way

Ian

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok I see what your saying now...

I think one would have to modify the initial board access checks that format the boardquery variables and one or two others in the index page to limit what boards are used to pull the information from.

Veteran
Veteran
If that is possible, I would be eternally grateful

Okay - well may be not eternally - but at least until the end of the week

Ian

Veteran
Veteran
oh and Dave xhtml is your friend

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849