Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#215807 05/01/2002 12:03 PM
I cant believe this has been released as a beta, i figured yeah itll be buggy and i can fix things here n there, but ive spent so long fixing bugs i might aswell of custom written myself a forum.

I realised there were lots of features lacking thats available to classic so i started building and adding bits, ive successfully added last post by, user flags, member status, and intergrated the pal index with the forum homepage, that all went well, ive set up ado connections and im pulling top threads etc from my ASP pages, ive even fixed the problem with usernames rather than display names being displayed everywhere, (Whats with that!)
Why ask for a display name and then display the username everywhere, someones been smoking too much i think while trying to put this beta together.

• Ive fixed the address book displaying only one user
  • I fixed a problem where you can add yourself to the address book
  • Fixed many spelling mistakes.
  • Completely wewritten the import utility so it imports correctly
  • fixed it so if you select that only admin can start polls that users dont see the start poll ubb code and icons
  • Rewritten some unneccesary SQL commands.

Thats to name just a few. I could go on for a while if i could recall all the things ive been doing this week. So far ive only been bug testing the main features too, theres still loads i havnt even looked at yet.

Anyway, is this gonna go on and on or should i just sod it and go with the 551?
And why do i keep seeing people mentioning more recent betas then 6.01? If they exist are they more stable, can i get my hands on it, and is the display name bug fixed because i dont fancy fixing that again.

Thanks. Sorry to rant at you Mr Threads developer, but i feel like ive spent a week upgrading my forum and its still to buggy to launch.

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
If you want to have a hassle free program, you should not even think of considering using beta versions... (Isn't that the right advice for ALL betas of ANY programs?)

My personal advidse for your situation: forget about the new features, use 5.5.1 for the time beeing and upgrade later.

And, if you spent so much work making little corrections within the beta code, can't you share your experiences with us mortals and file a bug report? And also donnate hack-instructions (for your additions) here?

Greetings

Last edited by caymuc; 05/01/2002 1:45 PM.
I didnt want or expect a hassel free program, of course being beta i expected a fair few bugs, but this is way over the top.

Simple Features like display name only being 1/10th implemented.

Im not one coding in such away that i can make my code available here, if i change something, i dont consider all the features of the baord it will impact that im not interested in using. What im saying is if i see code relating to a feature i have turned off i rip all the code out.

But i think what ive attached might help some people and should work ok. Its my merged homepage and pals index. Although im not sure what else i might have changed on that page, but you can use it as reference or copy the bits that relate anyway.
Attachments
47009-ubbthreads.txt (0 Bytes, 0 downloads)

Houseweb #215810 05/01/2002 5:55 PM
Guru
Guru
Basically, bugs are found much quicker when a wide variety of users test it out. It's definitely not for everyone but those that like to track things down and report what doesn't work properly really help out. The same set of eyes will sometimes miss some things that a fresh pair can spot easily.

A couple things though. UBB.threads doesn't have a display name / username at this time. So, that's just normal behavior as always. Some of the others you pointed out I was not aware of so they still need to be fixed.

As for is this going to go on? Perhaps, but I can't say for sure as to how long. Normally the betas go pretty quick but this was the largest upgrade to the scripts yet. So there are probably other bugs that haven't been spotted yet.

So, I would say that if you are on any type of timeline then you should probably go with 5.5.1. []/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/]

UBB.threads Developer
Sally #215811 05/01/2002 7:39 PM
Thanks for responding. I run a busy and complex site so i know what i nightmare things can be like trying to make something work. And i only have to deal with one server!

But im confused by you saying threads doesnt have a username display name thing going on, your the guy who progarmmed this arnt you. Under profile, edit basic, theres a field for name (look on this site), and in the database theres a field for name, seperate from username, the import script imported all my old users display names. Just threads didnt use them, i have managed to fix this on evey page ive checked so far, and i havnt had to add any database commands to achieve it either.

I figure im past the worst of it, im just gonna keep hacking until its sorted, i have till saturday to get it finsihed. I didnt want to go for v5 because i heard lots of people saying v5 was inefficent and the main improvements in 6 was speed and efficency improvments, which is what i was after. Trouble is by the time im finished itll be so hacked i doubt ill be able to upgrade to a final version. []/forum/images/icons/frown.gif[/] oh well, as long as it works then thatll be fine by me.

Sponsored Links
Houseweb #215812 05/01/2002 7:56 PM
Addict
Addict
The extra field for name in threads is not the same as Display Name in UBB, it's just a way of letting users give out their real name if they want to. It's not used anywhere else than on the profile listing as far as I can remember and it is not in any way a required field.

It's up to everyone to decide for themselves if that is good or bad thing, although I realise that it is a hassle when switching from UBB.

c0bra #215813 05/01/2002 11:46 PM
Power User
Power User
Personally, I would love to know how you integreated threads into an asp environment!! I'd like to to figure out how to display the latest threads, the latest poll, and possibly the top posters from within an ASP page. Everywhere I've looked, I've been told that it isn't possible.

Neo11223 #215814 05/02/2002 2:00 PM
Addict
Addict
Of course it is possible, it's just a matter of converting the scripts, but that is quite a big job. But if bangingtunes is interested in sharing his code with you others who want to use it in ASP pages. If you don't want any integration between the ASP pages and the scripts that show info from threads you could just use SSI from the ASP page to include them. I guess some code would have to be added to the individual scripts though if they are to work as stand alone scripts.

c0bra #215815 05/11/2002 8:06 AM
The code im using to do that i cant really share because its not even actually ASP, Its wscript code being run as a schedulded task that recreates the top 10 posts etc every 30 mins, i figured that was more efficient because its being used on my sites homepage.

But heres how i did it. Im very new to PHP and MySQL, so it cant be that hard.
Goto PHP.net and install the ADO thingymebob.
Set up an ADO connection on your server to the MySQL database.
Use PHP my Admin or look in createtables.php to find the field names.
The perform an SQL query as you normally would but connecting to the MySQL forum ADO connection.
Volla!

Heres my SQL query for the top threads, ive hard coded a few bits like the board

SELECT B_Number, B_Subject, B_Board FROM w3t_Posts WHERE B_Number = B_Main AND B_Last_Post > " & DATEDIFF("s", "01/01/1970", DATEADD("s", -(7*86400), NOW())) & " AND B_Board='UBB2' ORDER BY B_Replies DESC LIMIT 10

This pulls the top 10 posts from board UBB2 that are more recent than a week sorted by replies descending

Kristian

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63