Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
it is easy on server, fast loading (tables only show in the browser after the entire table has been loaded. This can take ages on slow machines, even crash a browser)

Also, it gets a little more compact. Finally, most user are used to its looks!!!!

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I've never seen a site that runs it []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok, take webbbs, it has the same feel, here is a sample
http://awsd.com/scripts/forum/webbbs/index.cgi

it is a frames version, which is another neat optional feature, but it also works without frames, just imagine the upper frame alone. Frames make the board much faster and less traffic intensive, as it does not keep reloading the main index.

http://awsd.com/scripts/webbbs/index.shtml is the board's home page

I had a riot on my hands when I changed from webbbs to wwwthreads. Not only because of the looks, but because of a few features that are better in webbbs (like speed of loading, compact file size) This could have been avoided, if threads had the ability to emulate webbbs. Not hard, because threads is much more powerful.

Another better feature in webbbs is simplicity. I had suggested a button in threads: "simple version" "advanced version".

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
you can search for it at cgi-resources.com (a good place to check out the competition)

or go directly to
http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/wwwboard.shtml

here is the working demo
http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/demos/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

I am not sure if they fixed all the old security problems. Also, it is not very comfortable, but it has a few advantages, the main one is server friendliness: static html!!

It would be worth considering if the archive board were to run like Matt's board. My threads bogs down an entire deicated server, due to huge database activity.

But static aside, I was talking about the simple uncluttered looks, and FAST LOADING (because no tables!)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, it's reported to have lots of security holes... my thoughts are it's quite ugly []/forum/images/icons/crazy.gif[/] But mainly because I've cut my teeth on flat forums like ubb/open topic/ and now threads []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

It shouldn't be difficult to make something similar, it's basically removing most all table constructs in the html. With the new templates, that shouldn't be too difficult []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
In reply to:

my thoughts are it's quite ugly []/forum/images/icons/crazy.gif[/]

Your not alone... LoL []/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Kahuna
Kahuna
Mario,

Once I get into V6 I'll probably do a server-friendly, yet attractive and easy to read template... Matt's is very old looking, but something that doesn't use tables, yet looks good, can be figured out for sure.

Muhammad
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
that would be interesting.. I'll help where I can

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I am in the process of converting from Webbbs to UBBT.
Most of my changes to the templates have been stripping out features trying to make the look simpler. And to hide things.
The reason for the switch is a performance issue. My forum has become an offline chat room and is very heavily used. (around 200 post/day, serveral hundred lurkers and increasing)
We had to move to a dedicated server due to high utilization. (kicked off a shared server, not unusual for Webbbs sites)
Above 3 thousand posts in the main area 100 posts/day things come to a crashing halt at busy times. My archive area has 50k + posts so that means 50k + files. One search may spike the cpu at 50 % or better. And there is no limit on the number of posts that may be returned so one search may bring the server to it's knees.
This is not a criticism of Webbs it served us well for several years but it has problems above a certain usage level.
Giving my users a "classic" interface would make a conversion easier but I can't postpone a move to work on it, or wait for someone else to do it. It's going to be like herding cats to make the switch. A lot of PR work and "inviting" people to look at it before the switch may help.
My users are artists and for the most part not very computer adept. All they want to do is post and read. The simplier the better. They are resistant to change like many people.
I'm looking forward to a long future with UBBT 6, I think it's just what the doctor ordered.

Greg

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63