Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
i was going to wait some before i posted this. my gf is going to need a website very soon, so i had to learn flash right quick. so i wanted to develop a system for her that she could update her website without much knowledge. so i learned how to send variables to flash. it is really quite simple, i don't have much need for private posts, but you could add flags so it doesn't display a private post. this is just the first release and in a way asking if anyone else is doing such a thing. oh you can check out the example at http://www.extremeforums.org/flash.swf. the subject is the link to the post. the source is at http://www.extremeforums.org/flash.php.txt the php that is sending the info is at http://www.extremeforums.org/flash.php. again really really simple.....i could upload the flash file to, what is the file extension? so you pc kids could use it. flash source file at http://www.extremeforums.org/flash.fla

Last edited by poil; 10/18/2001 9:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
User
User
Hey Poil, I love the idea, but I am more interested in your html editor: that is exactly what I need...
Can you please tell me where did you get the hack? or if you can post it?
Thanks a lot
Luke01

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
is there anyone out there who knows flash a little bit more than me?

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
What is it that you need?

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
okey, maybe do top 5 posters in flash. or list the last 5 posts in flash and rotate them every 5 seconds or whatever...like really i want to be able to do loops in flash..

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Hum... I have no real experience in database connection with flash...
But it does not seem like something I would like too much, either. Personally, I dont like flash for reading. I like flash for other things, but not for displaying much text.

Anyway, I guess all that you would need (if you figured how to get the variables) would be to set a timer counter inside the flash file, so that, for example every 400 seconds it starts again.
But I wouldnt think this would be necessary, who will be in one single page enough time to see any real changes?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
ya i hate reading in flash too, but as an example....you could use it at a announcements dilly. where important announcements can be displayed in the flash box on every page or so. and it wouldn't display the whole post, but say just the subject line. it isn't really that important at all here, i just want to learn how to do it, so i can use it in other situations.

in another situation it could be good, cause you could alow others to link to that flash file and they could display the top posters or whatever on there website.

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Since I wouldnt expect announcements to change more than once a day, adding the variables to the url would seem just fine to me. When ever the annoucement changes the variables in the url changes and therefore the swf is downloaded again. Meanwhile, you save in not having to have the swf reconnect to the database for every loaded page, because while the announcement doesnt change, the swf will load fast as you already have it with that announcement.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63