Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#212514 10/14/2001 10:32 PM
Lurker
Lurker
There is a lot going on here. Tensions are high; feelings are bruised. Uncertainty carries the day. The general sentiment I get from many of the posts is that some see a strong resemblance between Infopop and the Taliban. Let me assure you that Ted's real name is Edward, NOT Osama! :-)

I very much respect the opinions, concerns, and feedback that I've read throughout these forums. There is much here to focus our efforts for improvement. With all due respect, I'd like to offer a few comments that I hope will be insightful about us and our intentions.

Infopop is a small company. We struggle to make the best decisions and to maximize our resources on a daily basis just like you. We have, unfortunately, made mistakes in the past. We will make mistakes in the future. All we can do is the best that we can, striving to push forward, each day getting better than the last. We have a resounding commitment to the customer experience. We’ve not been perfect in this regard in the past, but please understand that it is a primary focus for us.

Infopop currently has about 25 people. Most of our staff is in the customer support and technology areas. While we hope to soon, we have never had any sales or marketing staff. Every license that we’ve gotten has come to us based upon the viral marketing generated by our “Powered By” link on the bottom of our pages. We have never bought an ad (print, banner or otherwise), in fact we have never spent a dime on anything related to marketing (other than color copies perhaps).

Infopop has also never received any outside investment of any kind. While we are blessed with profitability - we are forced to be tremendously prudent (as all of you are) with every dime that we make and spend. We have lofty aspirations; we are getting there one careful step at a time! This represents a large and important step for us - one that we are tremendously excited about!

Serious discussions with Rick began as we both realized that we had an opportunity to further each of our objectives by combining efforts. Those of you that have expressed concern about Infopop, please understand that we did our homework and wanted to establish a relationship specifically with Rick because of many of the valuable things that you rightfully express concern about. It is in our interest to nurture and to invest in those very things – in Rick, your product, your community, and you - in an effort to allow us to do, and be, the best that we can. Yes, there are changes that must occur to make things operate as efficiently and effectively as possible - in our opinion. Time may prove us wrong; but again, we're doing the best we can with the information and resources at our disposal. We hope to minimize changes; I apologize to you for any discomfort or inconvenience that arises from this.

Disagree with our business strategy. Be critical of our tactics. Dislike our products. Even find us objectionable as individuals. Please know though, that like Rick, we are good people of integrity and character. Please also know that given the opportunity – we will work hard to earn your trust and business.

We understand that Rick has set the bar very high with you. Frankly, that's why we wanted to partner with him!! We expect to grow and to learn from our association with Rick, and with you, in ways that will positively impact us throughout every part of our business. Please give us the chance to do that and to serve you.

Michael B. Moore
President
Infopop
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
Dear Mr. Moore,
In reply to:

The general sentiment I get from many of the posts is that some see a strong resemblance between Infopop and the Taliban.

With all due respect I think your comment is completely inappropriate. I can understand your desire to inject some levity into the discussion, and this was not the best way to do it.
In reply to:

Infopop currently has about 25 people.

I find this quite amazing, especially when you consider that WWWThreads, clearly head-and-shoulders above UBB by any measure, was written by one guy, in his spare time, working with a community of unpaid contributors. Perhaps it's time to re-examine your business model?

You state that Infopop has "made mistakes in the past;" that's fine, but it means as much as some bureaucrat coming forward and taking "personal responsibility." What I would like to know is what you are going to do specifically to ensure that WWWThreads does not go down the road of UBB.
In reply to:

Disagree with our business strategy. Be critical of our tactics. Dislike our products. Even find us objectionable as individuals. Please know though, that like Rick, we are good people of integrity and character.

There must be a difference between Infopop and Rick, however, since not many of us have disagreed with Rick's business strategies, neither have we been critical of his tactics nor disliked his products; we certainly have not found him objectionable as an individual. So to what do you attribute the difference between the general perception of Infopop as everything you have described and our perception of Rick?
In reply to:

Please give us the chance to do that and to serve you.

You have been given a chance, and you have yet to respond. You have been given a chance to state that licensing per domain will not change, instead you have opted to change licensing to a per instance basis. You have been given a chance to state that pricing will not change significantly, so far you have not done so. You have been given a chance to show some type of good-will toward those users tied to the Perl version of W3T, contrary to your statement, you do not intend to serve them. You have been given a chance repeatedly to respond to concerns regarding overpriced and underfeatured products, to concerns of censorship in your discussion forums, to concerns of poor support and impersonal service, and you have not responded. You have been told that the change to UBBThreads is ill-advised, what has your response been?

Please keep in mind that this community had a significant role to play in the development of W3T, unless, of course you believe, as I stated above, that one guy (exceptional as he is), working in his spare time, can single-handedly produce a better product than Infopop, a company of 25 full-time employees. Speaking for myself, since the announcement was made, I have yet to see Infopop's commitment to "serve" us, in action. All I have seen are progressively worsening attempts at public relations, perhaps you really do need that marketing staff.

Respectfully yours,

Derek

Kahuna
Kahuna
Thank you Derek for speaking out my thoughts that I head when I read that post. I don't want to add more fuel to the fire at this point, thus just my thank you to you for saying what I wanted to say.

Kli Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Form what I have read that means:

Infopop had made mistakes in the past.

And they are going to make more in the future by ignoring their customers' feedback.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Michael--

Your post and a few of Charles Capp's that I have seen today have helped put things in better perspective and given me a little better feeling about this.

But I do wish you had posted this message before the general sentiment had a chance to develop. You might then find yourself with less of a near rebellion on hand.

The real proof will be if your company delivers, and keeps delivering a year or two down the line. Will you go out on the limb and say you will hold by your promises here that long? I hope so.

Sponsored Links
Lurker
Lurker
Sir, this is a limb that I feel very comfortable being out on. In fact, we live there every day! I make that commitment to you and to all the other members of your community. I trust you'll help us in this endeavor, as you have Rick. I know you'll keep our "feet to the fire"! :-)

Michael

Dear SIr:

In reply to:

The general sentiment I get from many of the posts is that some see a strong resemblance between Infopop and the Taliban. Let me assure you that Ted's real name is Edward, NOT Osama! :-)

Personal messages from Rick have put me at easy with this transfer and I am starting to think it maybe a good thing. I have even decided to continue working on a project that could get your new product a lot of new attention.

I do have to say that as someone who lost both friends and staff in the attach on 9-11 I don't find people saying there is a "resemblance between Infopop and the Taliban" very funny. Do some reading on the Taliban people!

-Ken

-Ken Torbeck [blue]www.INFOSITE.[/blue][red]ORG[/red] Special Needs & disAbilities Info. Center

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63