Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
OK, who has the best deal on 60-100 gig of bandwidth per month without breaking the bank?

Sponsored Links
Check out satexas.com ... I think they are a great company.... feel free to e-mail the admin and ask them questions... they normally respond withen 24hrs if not less...

And if you do sign up with them... tell them LostS sent ya :-P

I like getting a month free :-P

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
You can also take a look at CIHost. I have 3 gigs of HD space and unlimited bandwith for $20/mo. Check out their frequent "specials" for the best deals. []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hmmmm, why did you post this information as a reply to me? hahaha I already have a web host that gives me over 3 times the space, dozens upon dozens of other amenities including the latest versions of Perl, php, etc. and on the latest equipment at 1/5 the price of "Hosting4less". But perhaps there's someone out there that doesn't mind spending $100/mo rather than $20/month? What's it like having too much money on hand anyway? []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Addict
Addict
I never know who to click on to reply. Wish it just had a single reply button..:p Word of wisdom.. Cheaper never insures it being better..;) I have one site with upwards of 1,000,000 pageviews monthly, and it never skips a beat. Have you read their terms..?

http://www.cihost.com/?zone=support/terms

Makes for interesting reading. There is always a limit. You just have to read far enough.

Last edited by JCS100; 11/08/2001 12:34 PM.

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Sponsored Links
My terms of agreement with my hoster is... Don't break it so hard it cant be fixed... I like my hosting provider... It is cool when they come to me asking for my opinion on something... Also if I need/want a Perl Module installed... I tell them where and how to get it and they do it :)

Also I like being able to telnet in and do stuff...

Power User
Power User
I recommend 4webspace (Tera-Byte). They offer a Cobalt RaQ3 Server with 512MB Ram, 10GB harddisk, and 100GB bandwidth for $99/month (no setup fee []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/smile.gif[/]). You have root access to the machine, that means you can install whatever you want (PHP, MySQL, or just the latest Apache Server).

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
How do the raq3's hold up to any kind of server load philipp? I didn't think they did too well...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Power User
Power User
RaQ3's with 512MB are fine as long the site use PHP/MySQL. MySQL depends unlike flatfiles on memory usage that means a RaQ3 with 512MB is faster that a Pentium III 1GHz with 128MB

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
danke []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Does the type of hard-drive matter much (ie: scsi vs. ide)?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
Not really. More important that the harddrive type/speed or even the CPU speed is still that the machine has enough memory to handle the database.

Lurker
Lurker
I agree with JCS100 - there is some interpretation to be made on the cihost.com 'unlimited bandwidth' terms of use. And it may be hard to argue your case once over the 20 Gig/Month barrier.

I have gone with Hosting4less and see how it goes. The servers are quick, email support is about 24hrs and they are not that pricey when I did some browsing.

I was wanting some info from Verio of their Virtual Private Servers (at $150US/Month for 400 Meg and Unlimited Bandwidth). I sent them some emails, wanting to know what I could expect as far as bandwidth goes (as I know there is no such thing as a free lunch) but it is four days later and I am still waiting for a reply.

(As a side note, it always bugs me that people say times are bad and noone whats to buy anything but it seems so hard these days to get reliable sales information. I had the money to spend if I could have got a few minutes of someone's time to answer a simple question!).

Well I will see how hosting4less goes. So far no complaints!

Chonrad.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Agreed []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/smile.gif[/] I believe the same money is out there, it just isn't being thrown at every internet "company" with a half-baked idea []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/wink.gif[/]. Customer service is where most any company can mop up the floor with the rest of the ISP's, should someone ever decide to get it right.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Power User
Power User
FYI, according to 4webspace's page, RaQ3s come standard with 128MB Ram, and to get 512MB, there is a setup fee of $75.

I went a slightly different route:
I am leasing a RaQ4i with 256MB Ram, 20GB harddisk, and 300GB bandwidth from Rackshack.net. It had a $250 setup fee, though. Considering I transfer over 180GB from my site, the bandwidth is why I chose to go with this company.

I wish I had waited... two months after I signed up, rackshack.net introduced some "white box linux" machines. The least expensive of those is a 1Ghz Duron machine, with 512MB Ram, 20GB HD, and 300GB bandwidth for $99 per month with a $299 setup fee with the Ensim Control Panel software and $349 with the Plesk Control Panel software. If it weren't for the setup fee, I would have switched servers shortly after the new ones became available.

Lurker
Lurker
We have a dedicated machine through cihost and i must say its been a great move for us. Their support isnt all that responsive but for the price you really cant beat what you get. I think we pay 99/month for a dedicated machine with 256k ram and it performs nicely. We have never been hit with bandwidth charges. We get about 60,000 page views a day.

Addict
Addict
you're on dedicated and get 60k views a day? What is your bandwidth usage like? One of my sites pulls about 75k hits a day, the other in the low 60's.. I'm on their shared plan and have had no performance/bandwidth issues at all. Just curious.

Lurker
Lurker
I wish I found this thread earlier! []/forum/images/icons/shocked.gif[/] Bandwidth seems to be much cheaper in the US.

My current bandwidth fees are CDN$7 a gig (first 5 gigs free) plus C$250/month for colo.
Peer1

I'm building a new rack mount server and I'm looking at getting down to C$6/gig and C$200/month colo.

My site does about 80 gigs a month.
[]http://www.esportbike.com/wwwthreads/files/33-32354-mrtg.gif[/]
Attachments
45780-mrtg.gif (0 Bytes, 71 downloads)

Last edited by mcgarage; 04/04/2002 10:32 AM.
Power User
Power User
Oh, I found out that my current dedicated server host, http://rackshack.net, currently has some $99 setup fee deal going on for most of its machines... might want to look into it (the ordering/inventory system seems to be down at the moment, so I can't tell you how many servers are in stock of which type).

Lurker
Lurker
Just saw that 4webspace.com has lowered their monthly rate for raq3's to $89/month and increased bandwith to 500GB/month! Whew!

Just wanted to ask if a 128MB of ram is enough to handle 1.5GB of bandwidth/day? How does the internal RAM really affect the bandwidth -- let's say with running UBB.threads 6.xx? TIA.

Veteran
Veteran
These will be probably be second hand servers. Cobalt have their new model coming out next month. (RaQ550)

I wouldn't suggest going for anything less than a RaQ4 with 256MB of memory.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
User
User
That URL should be http://www.rackshack.net. Rackshack.net must not have their server configured properly to accept http://rackshack.net.

a great resource for webhosting is
http://webhostingtalk.com

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
oops smirk

(btw, delete this post doesn't work)

Last edited by L_K; 08/11/2002 4:45 PM.
Power User
Power User
Anyone try Infinology.com or Globat.com?

I'm looking for something with at least 1.5GB storage and at least 50GB/month. This is not for a threads server (at least not now). as I have a great agreement for my threads server, but need to offload get a replacment of my current pciture server that was comletely donated by a user.

Prices seem cheap for what you get (35GB and 100GB/month for $16/month with Infinology.com)

Thanks,

Fred

Addict
Addict
As a former Infinology customer, I will say this, "STAY AWAY!"

They were decent, not too expensive and offered a lot of features. But very sporadic downtime, and a lot of issues with billing made me switch. Granted, this was a while ago, but to this day, I haven't been a customer of theirs for some time, yet they still send me these overdue invoices. I have told them to remove me from their list, as I don't host with them, yet they continue to send me invoices

Just remember, you get what you pay for with hosting. 35GB/100GB for 16/month is impossible. They rely 90% of their customers using only 10% of their allotted resources, and oversell like crazy.

I'm not going to tell you who to go with, or who is better than who... but Infinology is not very good, and as a former customer of theirs, I cannot recomend them.

If you have any other questions related to hosting, or various companies, let me know, I'll be happy to fill you in.

Power User
Power User
Thanks for the advice... anyone have comments on Globat?

$30/month for 2GB/100GB/month.

PS, Infinology also has a 9gb/60gb/month version for $7.50 if I recall... supposidlty they are better, but ya, it sounds too good to be true... Must be a catch somewhere...

Addict
Addict
I'm not terribly familiar with Globat.. so I can't make a recomendation. If you want, I would look at www.webhostingtalk.com and search the forums for globat, see if any discussion comes up regarding them

[]powerlord said:
Oh, I found out that my current dedicated server host, http://rackshack.net, currently has some $99 setup fee deal going on for most of its machines...[/]
Powerlord, how do you rate your current server host? Can a Celeron 1.3/Celeron 1.7/P4 2.0 server handle a couple threads boards simultaneously? Do you really get the 700GB/month bandwidth that they mention on their web site?

On a side note, does anyone know of any other high-bandwidth virtual hosting or server hosting sites?

Addict
Addict
Conrad, how large are the threads sites? A celeron would be fine for a small, threads site, but these are really not server chips at all and will not handle higher traffic, let alone multiple sites.

When my site was a little smaller (1200 members, and about 700 posts per day) it was running on a dedicated P3 1.7ghz machine. It was adaquate, but when a lot of users were online (more than 50) you could really start to see the server struggling.

So it all depends on the size of the sites, but in all honesty I would at least try to avoid celerons for servers, especially for a dynamic platform like threads. You will leave yourself with almost no room to grow.

Hi Jeremy, many thanks for the kind help. I think the most users I'll have onine at any given moment is about 100, but throughout most of the day it'll probably be around 35-50.

Rackshack seems to have a good deal on the P4 servers: P4 2GHz, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD, and 700GB transfer/mth (what I need most as I'm using over 80GB every month at the moment). All this for $139/month. Does this seem like a good deal - or are there any other offers which I should give a closer look?

The only thing I'm worried about is administering the server - is the Ensim WEBppliance 3.1 or Plesk 6 software any good?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I've really gotten to like CPanel for being easy to administer and loaded with features.

In my opinion CPanel is miles ahead of Plesk. I love the one click backups that cpanel offers.

Veteran
Veteran
Go for the Plesk 6 deal - you can up it to an unlimted number of domains if you wish for an additional one of payment of $99.

Bear in mind that they are offering it with RH9 - the others are RH7.3 which will not be supported after the end of the year by Redhat.

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Thanks, guys. CPanel is not unfortunately an option at this place, though I'll keep that in mind when I look around for other options.

Ian, thanks for pointing out the RH9/RH7.3 issue. I was under the impression that Rackshack would keep up-to-date versions of Linux on their machines, but if they don't automatically switch from 7.3 to 9 by the end of the year there there really is only one option worth looking at.

Is anyone here a customer of theirs?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I manage 2 CPanel servers at RackShack. And 2 Cpanel servers at Server Beach.

They've got forums at http://forums.rackshack.net where you could ask any questions you have of other customers.

Addict
Addict
[]Conrad said:
The only thing I'm worried about is administering the server - is the Ensim WEBppliance 3.1 or Plesk 6 software any good? [/]

Regardless of control panel your server comes with, if you have basic hosting knowledge, you shouldn't have much problem. There are a few issues that you would normally not have to deal with on a shared account, but for the most part your provider will get your machine running, software installed, and ready for you to begin setting up accounts.

Thanks, guys. Rackshack does indeed offer CPanel. I guess the choice is between Plesk with RH9 and 'all other software' with RH 7.3. Should RH9 be my main priority - won't Rackshack upgrade the OS anyway when it goes out of date?

Addict
Addict
They "should" update when appropriate, but I would assume the biggest reason they aren't offering cpanel with RH9 is due to some bugs and problems with newer versions of RH and it's inability to play nice with some software. There are people running RH9 + cpanel.. but there are more running that setup with problems.

So I'm guessing they are saving themselves a lot of support hassles by not offering it until it is near 100% stable.

Right now I'm looking at the P4 2GHz processor (Rackshack), but I've also received a counter-offer for a server equipped with _two_ PIII 600MHz processors. Which setup is more effective for running database-driven bulletin boards?

Also, does anyone know how much Rackshack would charge just to change the disk drive to a SCSI one? Has anyone done this upgrade with them before?

With regards to server software, I check out demos of Ensim and Please. Ensim seems fairly straightforward, though the design/layout doesn't seem as friendly and easy-looking as Plesk's. The only problem with Plesk (6.0) is that is seems to support Postgre... and not MySQL.

Control Panel looks really good from the screenshots, though it's too bad that they don't give a demo so that one could try it out to see how it feels.

Veteran
Veteran
Plesk 6 supports MySQL - no problems there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63