Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Journeyman
Journeyman
Guys, look at this wonderful online HTML editor.

http://www.hycenter.net/hybbs/post.php?forum=3&type=a&frame=0

I wish it would be happened in the future version of W3T.
You can just edit like using a FrontPage or Dreamweaver online and upload any pix you want to put in your post. Just try it.

BTW, it was a web site from China so it was in Chinese GB2312 code.

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
wow this is amazing.

Mr. Scream,

is there any reason we can't have this in W3T?

this is what is missing in all of these discussion group programs and it would make it sooooooooooo much easier for users.

Kurt

Wow, that is nice.
I wish that will be implemented in the next version. Actually some of the other discussion board software implemented this kind of HTML editor. I just do not want to mention the software name here.
If you participate in other forum you might know what I am talking about.
Anyway, that is something that they should seriously think about for the next version to stay with the competition.

Just mention the name. Who cares if you mention another board on this forum. It's not like anyone is going to flame you or call you a spammer. Right?

The only other boards I have seen that have done anything like this was UBB but all they do is have markup enabled and use javascript to insert flash, lists, ect..

The only problem I see with that example board is practicality.
What gets sent to the server?
Is it in markup or do you have to have HTML enabled?
What happens to those users who only want markup enabled for security reasons?
Is that the same HTML editor as the one on this site?

Before anyone can consider making this part of a full release they should think about security, usability, ability for people with older versions to upgrade, loadtime, administrative control over what is and isn't allowed on a board, ect...

Personally, it looks like a waste of time since most people would be fascinated by the pretty buttons at first, but tire of it later and it would fall into disuse. If that code did originate at that link, then that tool was made to create webpages and not for posting text to a messageboard. Shouldn't posting to a board be about people's opinions on topics and not all the bells and whistles?

I'm too utilitarian to think about something like that as being practical. It looks fine and all, however it would be wrong to make that a standard. Enthusiasts will always want the bleeding edge, but normal users probably only want good speed, clear text, post icons in big, friendly letters, and easy navigation on the board.

I agree with this. Don't want to be harsh on the people who requested this feature but:
1. there is nothing that it can do that cannot be done with the current system
2. it increases the page size without adding any new functionality
3. there are other much more important (administrative) features that need to be done, including but not limited to: ip search, enhanced thread moving here and here, search & delete, upload userpic, tos/user confirmation and my personal favorite customizable adm/mod levels smile

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
I don't think so. Not because I need this feature. (I could implement it by myself actually.)

I thought the one I mentioned is much earlier (about several months) than the one you have noticed, the php WYSIWYG editor class.

That's not the point. The point is to add this as an official add-on or a built-in feature, so that everyone did not required to adopt the codes each time a new version was released.

If that was an optional feature, then you can switch it off if you want a faster page browsing. That's not a big problem.

Or if you're much care about the page size, then you might prefer not to use even the HTML / markup features at all and keep all your messages away from any extra tags other than a pure text. IMHO.

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
About the page size increase... here is the solution:
Have the normal textbox as you do now, without the added wysiwyg feature... but add an "Edit text in Editor" link next to it. Uppon clicking a pop-up window appears with just the wysiwyg editor. You edit your post, with colors and all... Uppon clicking the save icon the window closes while sending the data into the main window (normal one) where you can continue editting, selecting post icons and all...

Basically the idea would be that you dont load it every time you post, only those times you need it. []/testimages/icons/cool.gif[/]

OK... I confess it, haha! I got this idea from somewhere else... From the Mambo site demo (a php content website management system...) You can see this feature used this way here. Just quickly sign up, and then click on Submit an Article to see how they did it... very cool!

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Oh! And doing it this way would allow for easy upgrading, as just a minor change would need to be done (once developed) adding a link... because the wysiwyg editor would act as an addon, not as a hack.

Does anyone have a link for the source-code to this kind of 'editor'? I've been searching around but not found anything. This would be a great thing to have for our Intranet. Is it Java, ActiveX, Javascript etc.?

/Björn

Journeyman
Journeyman
It's based on Javascript and DHTML. Look at here for the php class.

Sponsored Links
Hazard with this On-Line HTML Editor...

It only works in IE... What about NetScape users??

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
No problem, if it is used the way I suggest, not changing the current form but adding a link that will popup the editor window... if they use an ancient browser they can still use the normal form and not open the special editor one. What I suggest is simply like an addon that would popup an editor window such as the Insert Icon link you have when you reply here.

Anyway...
Netscape users? They still exist?!!! []/testimages/icons/laugh.gif[/]
My site is currently Netscape compativle, but they are under 0.4%, I do sense however that at sites intended for US visitors this percentage will grow. Like your case, I guess, if you are conscerned about them. Anyway... as I´ve said, it wouldnt create any real problem at all, just that they wouldnt be able to use that special feature. No big deal.

Well I already started development on this for the Perl Version... I do a browser check and if it is Netscape or anything other then IE... I just don't show the link smile

OHH and you can see it at:
RallosZek.Net Test Forum

Looks great, Datel.

Is it possible to add a image file upload in? That will make life a lot easier.[]/testimages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Last edited by kimroan; 10/01/2001 1:05 PM.
Don't know... never tried... However.. I am attempting to make the output be MarkUp not HTML... Which is causing some issues....

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Awesome!
Yes, I see how the most difficult thing here will be doing html>markup conversion... are you trying to do that specific thing through javascript or through perl/php?

Umm initially through JavaScript... However the part that does the HTML coding is built in... so Ia m trying to find a way to make it NOT built in... going to try using Dreamweaver when I get home...

You're making it into markup eh? Seems like your trying to re-invent the wheel. A much more elegant solution is already made. Try this link out.

I will have to look at that more... Some of the stuff is neat smile Thanks smile

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Hum... very interesting, though I wish we could find the way to use the other visual editor to work converting html back into markup...
I have markup insert buttons at my site, and I often find posts with the markup broken because not everyone is smart enough to figure out how exactly it works and that they shouldnt delete part of it or things like that...

I try to keep this in mind when coding:
"All that is complex is not useful and all that is useful is simple."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63