Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#209931 04/10/2001 10:17 PM
Power User
Power User
I'm wondering if this feature will be making it into 5.4 as Scream seemed to imply in this post.

Just to clarify what I am referring to, "Self-Search" would give users the ability to search, not only for their own posts, but also for any replies to their posts. A person would click on the Self-Search link, and would then be able to see all posts they have authored and any responses to those posts. Since this search would be sorted in reverse chronological order, an individual would be able to instantly determine what the latest responses to them were.

A Self-Search link would be a great addition to the new Control Panel.

Derek

Sponsored Links
ComMaster #209932 04/12/2001 1:11 PM
In reply to:

A Self-Search link would be a great addition to the new Control Panel.

Absolutely!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamie Marie
BuffyGuide.com

==================

Jamie Marie
BuffyGuide.com
ComMaster #209933 04/12/2001 5:36 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very interesting idea.

ComMaster #209934 04/12/2001 6:32 PM
Guru
Guru
A couple of questions on this one. First, not quite sure where to put a link to this in the control panel area. And second what type of results were you envisioning. Are you thinking like a flat mode display. Here is your post, and here are all of the replies made to this post? Or something else?

UBB.threads Developer
Sally #209935 04/12/2001 8:55 PM
Power User
Power User
Scream,
In reply to:

not quite sure where to put a link to this in the control panel area.

I put a couple CP Mockups in Test Board. They might give you an idea, although I suspect MTO will shortly go one up on me []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

BTW, what do you think of the suggestion to have tags that can enclose HTML code and thus protect it from having markup treatment? I mention that because in putting together my mockups I was forced to carefully go through my code and strip all CR's prior to posting (that meant eliminating approximately 225 carriage returns from the HTML code of each mockup). On with my response . . .

In reply to:

Are you thinking like a flat mode display. Here is your post, and here are all of the replies made to this post? Or something else?

I am thinking of a flat mode display very similar to the display we get from clicking Show all user's posts. Except the display would show a user's posts and any posts that are replies to her posts. All in simple reverse chronological order. A user will be able to differentiate between her own posts and responses to her posts by taking a look at the "Poster" column.

Another cool feature to include in the "Self-Search" area might be the option of only finding "threads" that a poster has started in addition to the other choices I have outlined in the mockups.

Thanks for listening Scream.

Derek

Sponsored Links
ComMaster #209936 04/13/2001 3:31 AM
In reply to:

BTW what do you think of the suggestion to have tags that can enclose HTML code...

Derek, the answer is in your message! []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Here's it: "forced to carefully go through my code and strip all CR's prior to posting"

I think this can be done this way (give it a try please and tell me if it works):

use <html> .... </html> as tags.

in w3t.pm replace

$value =~ s/\n/< br >/g;

BY

my $string;
my $tempbody = $value;
while ($tempbody =~ /<html>(.*?)<\/html>/g)
{
$string = $&;
$string =~s /\n//g;
$value =~ s/$&/$string/e;
}

and

$body =~ s/\n/< br >/g;

BY

my $string;
my $tempbody = $Body;
while ($tempbody =~ /<html>(.*?)<\/html>/g)
{
$string = $&;
$string =~s /\n//g;
$Body =~ s/$&/$string/e;
}

Scream could want to clean a bit this code.

tym #209937 04/20/2001 11:20 AM
Power User
Power User
Dear Sharif,

My apologies for the late reply. We just implemented something very similar to what you are suggesting (based on your clarification of my ideas BTW) in the PHP forum we have in development.

What we have now is a pair of tags [:blue]<rawhtml> and [:blue]</rawhtml> which a user can use in an HTML enabled forum to surround any HTML she may want to post. This provides a major benefit to our prospective users. Less sophisticated users will be able to post in a manner they are familiar with, WYSIWYG if you will. More sophisticated users can surround their HTML text with the new tags and have w3t present the HTML content as they intended, rather than having their intended output affected by the {br} tags that w3t insists on inserting at every linebreak.

Thanks for your help.

Derek

Sally #209938 04/20/2001 12:13 PM
Power User
Power User
Scream,

We have been looking at implementing "Self-Search" in w3t, and have concluded that adding a "To:" field to the pertinent database table simplifies things quite a bit. The implementation of a "To:" field allows us to track the name of the recipient of a response. Thus when you perform a "Self-Search" you need only search "From: Scream" and "To: Scream."

The addition of a "To:" field also increases the options in terms of flagging a message to a user by another user, etc.

I'm curious to know how you are approaching the implementation of "Self-Search" in w3t.

Best Regards,

Derek

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63