Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#209781 04/06/2001 4:15 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
dun dun dun....well here it is, this was the one that stumped me when i first started doing php. and today i figured it out, i guess i am learning. at this moment, it uses the U_Extra3,U_Extra4 Fields but can be modified for the use of adding on fields. i am going to add two more columns in my table month and date.

example: http://www.extremeforums.org/calendar.php

right now the features just inlcude one thing:
birthdays are shown on a Calendar.
You can go forward to any month Year.

this weekend ( i actually try and stay away from the computer on weekend ), or monday i will add Public Events that Admins or Mods will only be allowed to add. or maybe can be validated.
and Private Events that you can only see yourself. maybe i will think of a remnder service.... maybe....
Lastly i was thinking of stuff like an email/pm on your birthay? Happy Birthday bobby!

[:red]--------------
http://extremeforums.org

Edited by poil on 04/06/01 06:16 PM.

Sponsored Links
Sounds Great. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing this in more detail, will be super useful for my site since I"m running a gaming guild, and while you can announce things in a forum, they tend to get buried.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
if you have an account at my forum you can now test out the calendar system! oh ya, i lied i worked on it this weekend. i am going to work on it some more, clean up the code and it should be ready soon. i just have to add a feature where admins/mods can post in html. i should add who posted it to. and i guess that the admins/mods should maybe be able to see everyones event. i don't know.

you can see an example of the detailed event information at:
http://www.extremeforums.org/calendar.php?Number=7

Current Features:
Add a calander to your forum that is integrated with your current forum.
Allow Users to add private events that only they can see.
Allow Admins/Mods to add Events that everyone can see.
Ability to show Detailed information about the event.
Shows the birthdays for every user that has entered a birthday.
All events are edit-able and delete-able. by the user who posted it only and the Admins/Mods.

i have some more features that i am going to add to my calendar such as: event validation, picture instead of link for subject.
check it out.........and i finally finally fixed the stylsheets

User
User
I like it, I think it will be very popular.

Can you attach your calendar.php file with what you have so far so I can look?

Maybe have the access to the calendar determined by groups, like the way we set access rights to a particular forum.

Edited by pluto_rogue on 04/09/01 12:48 PM (server time).

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
ya it could easily be setup to do groups. in my small boad i don't use groups, i only have admin and guests. but here is the calendar.php file. if you want to take a peep at addevent.php i put it up at http://www.extremeforums.org/addevent.txt

Attachments
33877-calendar.txt (0 Bytes, 33 downloads)

Sponsored Links
What tables are you adding columns to? Does this code make use of them or still using the additional fields?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
technically i am not releasing it quite yet. it needs lots and lots of code clean-ups. the birthdays are put into the w3t_Users table using the fields U_Extra3 and U_Extra4, U_Extra3 is the month and U_Extra4 is the date. and the event information is beng put into a new table called w3t_Events with id,Username,Private,Validated,Date,Month,Recurring,Subject,Description,Year

if anyone wants it i can take out the event stuff an only show birthdays in the calendar. or only make it so that admins/mods can only add events...

User
User
I was just looking over some of the past hacks and this one caught my eye. I did not see any newer mention of this and was wondering what the status was.
It is a very cool idea.

John

User
User
Any word on a final release of this?

vent #209790 08/26/2001 8:28 PM
User
User
I finally got the calander to show http://www.supanatural.com/forumtest/calendar.php by creating a new table with the proper fields but the addevent.php that you had included at one time in this thread just gives me a blank screen. Any word on when you will have a final version read for release?

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
poil,

it would sure be great if the links you specified worked.

do you still have this up somewhere and does the code work at this point?

thanks,

KC

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
How is this coming along poil? A calendar would definitely be useful...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
i got stuck on a feature. i wanted to let users add there own private events. that they could only see. i can make what i have available if you want to check it out.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Sure, would be a nice help. A few here may be able to give some assistance as well smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
i put what i have done Here. calendar33.phps has one with events, which i couldn't figure out. calendar2.phps don't know, and calendar.phps is the basic one that just does birthdays. i got stumped and couldn't figure it out. too advanced for me.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thank you smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I think this is an excellent hack, and would like to see more of it. I don't want to sound demanding, so let me say right now I am willing to do a lot of the work.

The title of this thread is Calendar Features Requests. Well, there are several posts done by Poil on the calendar that is there, but in keeping with the spirit of the subject, here are the features I would like to see.

- The Admin can designate a board to display as a Message Board or Calendar. Calendars will act as their own boards, and will have all the board-level security features that UBBThreads has to offer.

- Calendar Events have javascript pop-ups that show their information in a separate and temporary window using DHTML.

- Month, Week, and Day views are available. The Admin will choose a default view for each one, but a user should be able to change that in his/her preferences.

- A Calendar should be able to show events from different groups in different colors.

- For meetings as an example, Calendar entries should be made with a custom form that can list an agenda, or subject matter as well as a contact.

- There should be a default set of entries that is board-wide, configured by the admin, that list holidays and other special events that will show through on all calendars.

- An ability to change time zone offset for calendar entries should be given to each user. This will help in things like scheduling conference calls, where a west coast person would see it in their own time if an east coast person set it up.

- Complete documentation for this hack should be created.

Again, I hope I don't come across wrong. It is my opinion that this single feature is possibly the best idea that anyone has had for this program. I can't begin to express how happy I am with what Poil has done, and think he should be listed in the credits in the final version. I am just trying to standardize a list of features for this fine hack, and hope others will join in and help.

I think I can help with a lot of the coding here. I haven't really sunk my teeth into the current make-up of UBBThreads, but if someone who knows it inside and out is willing to work with me we should be able to incorporate all these features and possibly more. I can be reached at [email protected].

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Nice list []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

I'd like to add a request that members get an email wishing them a happy birthday on the day of - nice touch and reminds them to visit the forum.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
gotoubb #209799 11/15/2001 1:49 PM
In the end of the HTML that makes the calendar appear, just add the following code:

<DIV ID="[:blue]unique event identifier" STYLE="position: absolute; z-index: 20; visibility: hidden; top: 0px; left: 0px;">
<TABLE BORDER="0" WIDTH="30%"><TR><TD BGCOLOR="#000000">
<TABLE BORDER="0" WIDTH="100%"><TR><TD BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
[:blue]The event info you want to include</TD></TR></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TABLE>
</DIV>

This will cauuse the layer to be displayed in a nice black border (the table effects). There are other ways to accomplish this, but that will work.

For the links on the calendar, add the following to the <A> tag:

onMouseOver="show('[:blue]The ID you gave the layer for this event'); return true;" onMouseOut="hide('[:blue]The ID you gave the layer for this event'); return true;"

Note you can have more events in the onMouseOver and onMouseOut if you want, just make sure those are listed.

Finally, include the following at the top of the page:

[:blue]<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--

NS4 = (document.layers) ? 1 : 0;
IE4 = (document.all) ? 1 : 0;

function show ( name )
{
x = currentX;
y = currentY + 20;
if ( NS4 )
{
var docWidth = document.width;
var docHeight = document.height;
var layerWidth = document.layers[name].clip.width;
var layerHeight = document.layers[name].clip.height;
if ( ( currentX + layerWidth ) >= docWidth )
{
x = ( currentX - layerWidth );
}
else
{
x = currentX;
}
if ( ( currentY + layerHeight ) >= docHeight )
{
y = ( currentY - layerHeight - 20 );
}
else
{
y=currentY+20;
}
document.layers[name].xpos = parseInt ( x );
document.layers[name].left = parseInt ( x );
document.layers[name].ypos = parseInt ( y );
document.layers[name].top = parseInt ( y );
document.layers[name].visibility = "show";
}
else
{
var docHeight = document.body.offsetHeight;
var docWidth = document.body.offsetWidth;
var layerWidth = document.all[name].offsetWidth;
var layerHeight = document.all[name].offsetHeight;
if ( ( currentX + layerWidth ) > docWidth )
{
x = ( currentX - layerWidth );
}
else
{
x = currentX;
}
if ( ( currentY + layerHeight ) >= docHeight )
{
y = ( currentY - layerHeight - 20 );
}
else
{
y = currentY + 20;
}
document.all[name].style.left = parseInt ( x );
document.all[name].style.top = parseInt ( y );
document.all[name].style.visibility = "visible";
}
}

function hide ( name )
{
if (NS4)
{
document.layers[name].visibility = "hide";
}
else
{
document.all[name].style.visibility = "hidden";
}
}

currentX = currentY = 0;

function grabEl(e)
{
if ( NS4 )
{
currentX = e.pageX;
currentY = e.pageY;
}
else
{
currentX = event.x;
currentY = event.y;
}
}

if ( NS4 )
{
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN | Event.MOUSEMOVE);
}

document.onmousemove = grabEl;

//-->

</SCRIPT>

Note that I didn't write all this myself, it's freely available out there in script libraries on the web. I hate taking credit where it isn't due []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/wink.gif[/]

gotoubb #209800 11/16/2001 11:55 AM
What I have come up with, I am working on some of them

Approval form with something to list all unapproved events for Calendars that have moderation
Day view form
Week view form
Month view form (done by Poil already)
Add/Edit Event form (Poil seems to have one, but I haven't seen it)
View Event Form
Calendar Properties Form.

Anyone want to flesh these out or put their own ideas into them I would appreciate it.

Also looking at adding a couple fields to the Events table, will post an update with what is needed (for example, calendar ID).

gotoubb #209801 11/16/2001 1:47 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Those sound good, I still like the idea of an email sent on birthdays, but that's probably an easy add-on later.

One feature for adding events would be re-occuring events. Say we have a weekly meeting at 8:30pm on Mondays, I'd like for it to fill out the info for it for the near future each monday. Same for monthly or yearly []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
gotoubb #209802 11/19/2001 6:52 AM
Ok, after a little brainstorming here are the changes to the database schema that I have come up with. Note that they are different from Poil's, I am just thinking about what would be needed if you were starting from scratch and wanted to implement all the features listed here. Please don't take this and try using it with the calendar hack as it exists today, because it won't work. However, any of you database people out there are welcome to brainstorm with me and add your comments.

These do not use any existing undefined fields, but current fields from other tables will be used in the final display.

First you would edit w3t_Boards and add two fields as follows:

Bo_Calendar (char(1), Not Null, Default 'N', This defines if the board a Calendar. There will need to be an install script that adds the field, populates it, and then makes it not null. The existing create board script will need to be modified to make this N when a board is made.)
Bo_Showevents (unknown data type right now, Null, Not sure how this will sort out, but will be the number of events to show from other calendars. Need to work on whether they will be in a different color or not. Existing program functions will allow group segregation of calendars, but this will allow you to lift events from other groups.)

Then you will add a new table. In keeping with the current database conventions, it will be called w3t_Events. The fields will be as follows:

E_ID (int(9), Not Null, auto_increment, Primary Key, the event ID)
E_Cal_ID (int(9), Not Null, Foreign Key to w3t_Boards.Bo_Number, which calendar the event is intended for)
E_Username (varchar(30), Not Null, Foreign Key to w3T_Users.U_Username, the event poster)
E_Date (int(11), Not Null, Date/Time function, the event date)
E_Time (int(11), Null, Date/Time function, the event time, done as a date function for time-zone offset purposes)
E_Duration (int(11), Not Null, Default 0, Date/Time function, done as time for ease of checking for conflicts)
E_Recurring (char(1), Not Null, Default 'N', Y or N setting for recurring appointments)
E_Recurtype (char(?), Null, sorting this out, would be like daily or weekly or monthly. You could do recurrences by number if days, day of week, day of month, etc...)
E_End (int(11), Null, Date to stop recurrence)
E_Frequency (int(11), Null, How long between recurrences, if you are doing it by a strict number)
E_Days (varchar(7), Null, Seven characters, either n or y to signify adding recurring items on a day of the week rather than by intervals if you are doing it by day of week or month)
E_Subject (varchar(80), Not Null)
E_Description (text, Null)

As I said, I *think* that these fields would serve to allow any of the previously mentioned features to be implemented, without having to use existing undefined fields (don't want to make people choose one hack or another). I still may need another field for recurrences, not sure yet. The only one I don't have is people's birthdays, but that could be accomplished in script, when you add/update their profile.

Still hoping someone who really knows the program structure of UBBThreads will jump in and help me out here, but I am going to keep on trucking regardless.

gotoubb #209803 11/19/2001 9:13 AM
An alternative way to do this would be to add the fields to the w3t_boards table, and instead of a new table for events add a few fields to the w3t_Posts table.

Can I get some opinions on this?

gotoubb #209804 11/19/2001 10:08 AM
Guru
Guru
I haven't been following this completely, but I think you'd be better served in adding this as it's own table. I think it would be a bit quicker to find calendar events if they were stored in their own table instead of with the rest of the posts.

UBB.threads Developer
Sally #209805 11/19/2001 11:08 AM
What I am leaning towards is a combination now. It seems that it would be useful to have full messaging functionality on calendar events (discussion, attachments, etc.) and you could use everything in the regular boards for that. So, a post to the calendar would just be another message, and an entry into the Events table as well that mainly works with recurring entries.

gotoubb #209806 11/24/2001 10:11 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
How is this one going Gamejag? You have a nice feature list working there []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
SurfMinister #209807 11/26/2001 7:26 AM
I changed the tables to go along with the conventions in the program already. Still learning how UBBThreads works, but I am almost there I think.

The way I will do it is with additions to multiple files. Basically, the Calendar will just be another way to display a board's index. If a post is on a Calendar, it will have a date and time field. Given that and the current feature set of UBBThreads, most of the features will already be there.

Time is a factor, but I am plugging away at it.

gotoubb #209808 11/29/2001 8:45 AM
Whew! I need a break now...

The calendar is working GREAT!!! There are still a few features to iron out that haven't been implemented, but you can see it here: http://www.gamejag.com/ac/messages/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=questcal

So far, I have made significant changes to the database, postlist.php, addnew.php, and newpost.php. I will get them up soon, just put it in production and want to see how well it works.

gotoubb #209809 11/29/2001 10:05 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
gotoubb #209810 11/29/2001 10:08 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Wow!!!! This is looking great, what an awesome job!!!

It's going to be very hard for me to decide whether to implement it, and risk deviating significantly from future ubbthreads versions, or to wait patiently for Scream to incorporate it.

Scream / Allen ... thoughts?

Thanks again Gamejag for your great work! I look forward to seeing the code.

Max

Maze_Brendan #209811 01/31/2002 11:08 PM
I am curious to see the code for this calendar. It seems to be a perfect replacement for the one I use that required an update from an outside source.

With the ideas I have for this, I am sure that I could test this calendar out quite well with you. Do you think it would allow for two different calendars?

Silly ricer.. Wings are for airplanes!
Franky #209812 02/03/2002 11:15 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi there... actually, Gamejag just emailed me the code a couple of days ago (thanks!). It needs a little bit of work... I'll play around with it up sometime over the next week or two so, and if everything seems well I will post the end-result.
Cheers,
Max

Maze_Brendan #209813 02/03/2002 11:20 PM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
That would be much appreciated Max []https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Can this calendar function without modifying the database or is it seperate?

sjsaunders #209814 02/05/2002 10:20 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi JustDave,
It does require a new table in the database, as well as one new field on the w3t_Boards table.
Regards,
Max

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63