Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#209208 03/20/2001 4:32 AM
User
User
I found w3t some months ago abnd have bought it and set it up for one group I work with. I'm also a Domino developer though and am working on an online course seminar system. On my own it has taken ages (2 years) plodding along to get it running reasonably, but it's still not a 'whole package' product - I still need to teach some of the course administrators how to use a Notes client to do a lot of the admin and so on. And so I was trying to persuade them to move it to w3t - as I think it does everything they (and I) want their packaged system to do (and took me four hours to set up and customise for them). But no - they want to carry on with Domino and make my life hell.

Don't get me wrong I like Notes and Lotus, I just struggle with it as a web development toold, and I always have the feeling of not really being in control, whereas php and html and sql are relatively transparent - I can work out what's happening when the database spews out data and it magically becomes a page. I can even hand tweak everything to do exactly what I want.

Oh well - another few months in the purgatory of doing something you really don't want to be doing while knowing that you have tasted the greener grass on the other side...

I really think cost is a problem for some people. If you ask them for thousands of pounds they think they are getting something really great and go all gooey eyed in an extacy of expectation, but if you tell them it will cost you 60 pounds or whatever the enchange rate works out at plus a pretty standard configuration of web server they think'how can it be good if it's so cheap'. Something like that - and no, Scream, that's not a cue for you to charge thousands for it!

Just depressed...:-)

Jock

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jock--

Well, you could tell the powers that be that it costs Thousands, and you have a source to save them a few hundred. Then simply mark it up in your bill.... []/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/] <just kidding!>

:-Doug.
[][email protected][/]
www.FootprintsintheWind.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849