Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Guru
Guru
So you are thinking having everything down there? Edit, Reply, Private Message, Print Post, Email, etc? Or just the Print, Email and Notify stuff.

One thing for everyone to keep in mind, wherever we end up deciding to put this it needs to be some place where there will be enough room for more icons, because I would imagine over time some of the suggested features will require more icons to be added per post.

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I was just making a suggestion and showing what it may look like if you were to put the icons at the bottom of the messages.

I really have no preference either way as I'm just gratefull that you're so willing to do these upgrades anyway.

As far as having enough room for future expansions I would think that the bottom of the posts, on their own line, would be the best place to put this new stuff. Anywhere else may cause problems later on.

The reply and the moderators/admins links to edit the post should probably stay where they are though. I think it's a bit more intuitive there. But added features such as email to friend, send to friend and what not should probably be at the bottom of the posts.

Brew
CustomShowCars.com

Brew
CustomShowCars.com
OldHouseForums.com
PoliticalForums.net
pcgnetworks.com
ut2003news.com
rtcwnews.com
bf1942news.com
nolf2news.com
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
I think they look good on the bottom like that. They'll need to be small though.

[]http://www.wopr.com/w3tuserpics/Eileen-sig.gif[/]

Journeyman
Journeyman
I like them like that too. smile The bottom would leave the added room you're referring to in your post, Scream.

Jhariden (aka Strategist)
Stratics Forums

User
User
How about adding for the Admin a list of all other admins and moderators on the site.. Large boards have lots of moderators and would be a good way to keep up with who's who by name listing. I love the control panel.. Would like to test it asap..

Sponsored Links
thread reminders icon should be a finger with a string around it, no?

would give a nice visual sense of what the feature's about...

jim

chowhound.com
For Those Who Live to Eat

Scream--

A cool idea (perfect for the control panel):

show all replies to any of your postings since last visit.

In addition to being darned convenient, it will make users compulsively check back often throughout the day. Conditioned response, like AOL's "you've got mail" thing, makes for a much more active, personal relationship between poster and community if the control panel sometimes shows them "mail" (so to speak) sitting there waiting for them when they check back.

Forgive me if I'm being stupid and this has already included...I looked but didn't see it.

JIM

chowhound.com

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
>>finger with a string around it

YES!

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
OK, made a finger with a string... []http://www.wwwthreads.com/files/10-33414-reminder2.gif[/] was quite complicated to draw, heh, heh []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/].

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Attachments
10-33414-reminder2.gif (0 Bytes, 33 downloads)

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Small modification to the multiple pages icon, in being trimmed it wasnt displaying correctly on dark backgrounds: []http://www.wwwthreads.com/files/10-33417-pages.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Attachments
10-33417-pages.gif (0 Bytes, 31 downloads)

Sponsored Links
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
And finally (I have to post one at a time because of the attachment limit of one, that I do agree with)... a slightly modified "notify moderators", the middle line crossing was thicker than the circle line. []http://www.wwwthreads.com/files/10-33419-notifymod.gif[/] This one should look better.

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Attachments
10-33419-notifymod.gif (0 Bytes, 28 downloads)

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
But is it apt to be confusing to the user to find some buttons at the top of a post and some at the bottom? They might wonder if this button operates on this post above or that one below....

I do like the idea of them all in one row, and Scream, we could then wrap them to two rows as it gets more numerous.

Just a thought....

:-Doug.
[][email protected][/]
www.FootprintsintheWind.com

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jim--
In reply to:

show all replies to any of your postings since last visit

Yes!

:-Doug.
[][email protected][/]
www.FootprintsintheWind.com

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
It's great! This devel board is looking really good.

just one "yes"?

this is kind of a holy grail feature...don't know any other message board s/w that does it, and it would profoundly improve user experience. And it's perfect for the control panel.

very surprised that there's not more support for the idea being voiced. but, hey, to each their own! (I'm just one hound!)

jim

chowhound.com

love all your other icons, but this one could be better. I'd make the circle and slash red, and make 'em thicker. Right now it's kind of murky, hard to see what it is. should instantly convey to the viewer an "emergencies only" vibe, IMO. This one's inert.

chowhound.com

Guru
Guru
Probably the reason for just the one yes is because I had explained earlier why this really couldn't be done for the control panel[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]. To give a quick recap, the number of queries necessary to get the control panel view is quite large and to show the latest replies to your posts would add quite a few more, way more than optimal for one page.

However, this really is a good idea but we'll need to figure out where to place it because for the number of queries necessary to do this it needs to be on a page all it's own.

UBB.threads Developer
Ah, ok, Scream. Apologies for not having read through more thoroughly; wish I had time to hang around here.

It strikes me one the solution could also address the fact that there are now three ways to set age views ("view recent messages", "show threads active in...", and the prefs option), which is a bit sloppy and confusing.

On my site (currently using wwwboard), we've brewed up a feature which creates a mini meta forum index console which shows all new postings as of a user-configurable date (wish it did it to the hour, but currently only by date). If W3T were to implement a solution something vaguely like this, that would consolidate the age/recent stuff, plus you could "show replies to my postings since that date" by highlighting or otherwise marking those replies.

We have users launch this feature via javascript, so the window can be sized small. To see that, use the link to "HotPosts" atop my homepage at http://www.chowhound.com/main.html

To go directly to HotPosts (and resize yourself), go to http://www.chowhound.com/hotpost/hotposttoo.cgi

chowhound.com

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
No. It's perfect the way it is. Red would draw too much attention to it.

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Yes, I wouldnt want it to be too eye appealing... its the icon that I wish they were less attracted to. And hopefully only the users who often post would use it, so not being too eye catching will not be a problem as by the time they know when a post should not be there they will also know what that link is for. Anyway, here is another version, with a thicker circle... []http://www.wwwthreads.com/files/10-33499-notifymod_dark.gif[/] I still preffer the previouss one. But as always, other users can always come up with new icons, or install one that is not the default, so if you like this one more than the other grab it just in case. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com
Attachments
10-33499-notifymod_dark.gif (0 Bytes, 27 downloads)

Eileen--you hypothesized in another thread that perhaps you'd "grown up", but the following replies from you:

<<<<No. It's perfect the way it is. Red would draw too much
<<<<attention to it.

and...

<<<<NO!

sound like they're from a four year old snippy girl. As was the case several months ago, I've taken a fair bit of time and energy (both in short supply for me) to closely analyze a program which I don't even use, and your responses on issues where you disagree have been undistilled flame bait. This time I won't take the bait.

Eileen, you don't have to agree with me...in fact, you can emphatically disagree! But your tone would surely discourage those more sensitive than me from making the effort to to help brainstorm this software. Your tone says "I vote no, so [censored] off", and it says it with considerable edge, too. You are rudely swatting opinions, and I'd suggest that this is the precise opposite of the proper role of a "moderator".

I'll take your reply off the radio. You get the last word.

Jim Leff

chowhound.com

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
That's fair.
If Chow ever actually starts using w3t, he can even color it red. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Hehe, that's me - "a four year old snippy girl"!

I humbly apologise for offending sensitivities.

Sally #209187 04/04/2001 11:59 AM
Power User
Power User
Scream,

You might consider putting a "Self Search" as a link in the new Control Panel. I agree, you do not want to try to include something like this very useful []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/] feature in the new panel.

This "Self Search" could even become a main link at the top of the screen, along with Main Index, Search, etc., and would bring up a page with all a poster's posts, and any posts addressed to the poster, in reverse chronological order.

Derek

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
since maybe no one brought this up, couple of suggestions for control panel:
1. For thread reminders and favorite thread, maybe a check box for delete this thread, instead of the remove icon. i have already wanted to remove two or more threads from both.

2. It would also work out well if the icons in the Main Configuration table were clickable. I tried clicking on them and was fooled and then had to move my mouse all the way to the right. and by the time i got there i didn't wnat to change anything. and that edit icon should be clickable too.

3. When the new version comes out i plan on doing a couple of things. Making a Favforum.php so that users will just hav eto go to that to show only there fav forums. I don't care that people will miss oher posts. when i go to forums these days i only go to a specific forum.
maybe only allow the user to do that after a certain amount of posts. really i would want to split up the control panel and allow a page that a user could go to.

4. the image uses for remove does not represent remove, i thnk a trash can would better represent that.

5. Friends Online, maybe it should show everyone from your adress book and show an online icon/text. but i guess if your adress book is big it could cause a problem. i could see me wanting to pm someone in my adress book, but having to click a couple of times to get there would suck. ?? i don't know.

6. Just an idea. maybe some text about why you wanted a reminder for that thread. i wanted to talk about how eileens point about this was a good idea.

7. Report this post to a moderator should maybe include some text like, your are reporting this post as Username. and a text box as to why you are reporting this post. it is againts my religion to see the word brooh ha ha, and i was wondering if you can censor it for me?

my list of w3t improvements are long.

[:red]--------------
http://extremeforums.org

Edited by poil on 04/11/01 09:49 AM (server time).

ComMaster #209189 04/12/2001 1:17 PM
In reply to:

You might consider putting a "Self Search" as a link in the new Control Panel.

That's what I was going to suggest. []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamie Marie
BuffyGuide.com

==================

Jamie Marie
BuffyGuide.com
Kahuna
Kahuna
I wish there was an option to include a list of all new posts in the favorite forums list (e.g. via preferences to include it or not). I would love to have just that "Control Panel" as one central place, where I can immediately see which new threads or replies there are in my favorite forums, and not just how many.

Gerrit
SpiritBoard
http://www.channeling.net

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849