Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#209019 03/16/2001 10:16 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Scream, would it be possible to have something similar to the Subscibe/Unsubscribe option tables in the Profile where they could select which *boards* they want to see? This would cut the load on sites with a lot of boards too because many people only want to read a few of them but these are not necessarily all in the same Categories.

[]http://www.wopr.com/w3tuserpics/Eileen-sig.gif[/]

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
i figured out a way to kinda do it in, i was going to start working on it this week. a user could click on the check box and that would be the only forum/category that they would see, it would be more of an advanced option per say. just like a favorite posts, but fav boards.

[:red]--------------
http://extremeforums.org

Guru
Guru
This is something that I'll probably look into to go along with the end user improvements. I'd kind of like to work on this area next, after 5.3 is out if everyone thinks that is the best direction.

UBB.threads Developer
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Isn't 5.3 "to make some speed improvements"? I would have thought this qualified as a speed improvement in much the same way as the "show threads" option does.

Guru
Guru
It would qualify as a speed improvement, but I haven't planned out how it would work or how to implement it properly so while I could try to put it into 5.3 it would delay the release by quite a bit as I'm planning on putting 5.3 out today or tommorow. With the speed improvements I've added thus far they were planned for over the past month and I knew exactly how to do them. This one here, I'm pretty sure I can do it, just not so sure how to do it properly[]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/].

That's why I want to wait to focus on the end user improvements because the changes necessary will fall around this feature you are talking about.

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
>>I'm planning on putting 5.3 out today or tommorow

Oo! In that case, forget I ever spoke! []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/]

Journeyman
Journeyman
I love this idea too. Great idea Eileen! How did I miss this thread yestderay? I must be overworked... :(

My only concern with this option, and it's not major enough to go against adding this feature, is the fact that some people will exlcude certain forums/boards or even categories and then FORGET they've done this. I cannot tell you how many people went into the subscriptions configuration, subscribed to forums, and then later complain that they never added thermselves to any mailing list. Hehe...

So I can imagine people hiding certain boards from view and then never seeing them again. I suppose I can offset this problem by posting in BIG letters in the FAQ something about hidden boards/categories. ;)

I do agree that it could help a bit with load times.

Jhariden (aka Strategist)
Stratics Forums

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Hehe. I had to laugh when I saw your post about people sending 'unsubscribe' emails. They have no idea what a message board is and they register, subscribe to everything in sight and then never ever come back again to actually post any messages. Even worse are those who do this with a bogus address!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63