Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#207754 01/23/2001 11:47 PM
Hi,

WWWThreads (PHP) is coming along pretty well. Thank you for this.

My only request is the following:

Reduce the number of releases! :-)
You issue far too many releases!
No feature should be added until the "Bug Reports" board has been silent for at least 1 month.

It's difficult to keep up with all these upgrades.

Regards,

DM

Sponsored Links
Dude,

The first release of the php version was 2 months ago, since then there has been 2 updates, each product that is new always includes some features (bugs)... So, the ealier versions needs to updated more often than the ones coming a year later. And since the development goes on, on both php and perl, versions are released at the same time.

When it comes to the php version, me, along with other people always post both the bug and the solution, so you're easily able to fix that small bug yourself. And if there is a bug you want to get fixed asap, just write me or someone else of the ppl writing these bugtips a note and we'll help you out with it until scream releases a new version (which probably includes just these bugfixes)

Dude,

You took my comment for a critic.

However, I am quite satisfied with the overall quality of WWWThreads.

My point is still that during the past year alone, Scream issued the following releases:

That's 16 releases. More than 1 release per month.

The Perl version of WWWThreads has been under development for more than 2 years. It should be close to maturity.

I truly appreciate that Scream is so keen about fixing bugs.
This is wonderful.

I truly appreciate that you try to provide fixes when you find a bug. It is a great attitude.

Yet, all this being said, if Scream could try to issue only 6 releases per year, I think no one would suffer.

Am I alone to think that way?

DM

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Sorry, I have to disagree here. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]
I think many of us like the advantages of frequent releases. Maybe you shouldnt feel the urge to upgrade with every single release, you should probably just upgrade the full version upgrades such as 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0 Or at any case, with the 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, and so on... but not the 5.1.3, 5.1.4, 5.1.5, and so on... let that to those of us who are interested in those smaller upgrades.

These smaller releases are important for development, they help us find bugs, things to be improved... I want these smaller releases, and I know I am not the only one. In fact, I wish they came more often, haha! []/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/]

Mateo Byler
CruceDeCaminos.com

If a majority of users within the WWWThreads community feels that way, then I will deal with it.

Nevertheless, if I were Scream :-), I would try to verify if a majority of users within the WWWThreads community actually feels that way.

2 words don't make a song.
On the other hand, I might also take my wishes for the norm. (Foolish me!)

DM

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
The release schedule will slow down somewhat now that there are 2 different versions, PHP and PERL.

Basically the development will go something like this. Right now PHP 5.1.x is in the bug fixing stage. While this is going on 5.2 for PERL is being developed. Once 5.2 PERL is released then it will go into the bug fixing stage while the new features are being ported over to PHP. This will allow each version to have a good bug testing/fixing period while still having a good consistent release schedule.

UBB.threads Developer
Sally #207760 01/24/2001 3:41 PM
Scream, I am happy with your development policy (and with w3t of course). If really I have to suggest something, it would be you write down the bug fixes in an new forum (or in a download area) such that we can apply immediately the patch. Main upgrades will be up to each user. This way, the small bugs are fixed very quickly and you'll have all your time to release new versions without being stressed. We need you in shape all the time []/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/]

tym #207761 01/24/2001 10:49 PM
That's an excellent idea!

Intermediary fixes could be posted on a board moderated by Scream, while full releases would be more sparse and solid.

This idea would combine real-time bug fixing and less frequent full releases.
I really like this idea.

DM

This is the php forum, not the perl forum...!

Sally #207763 01/25/2001 2:05 AM
What the f*ck are you talking about? Gimme the perl version of 5.2 and i'll port it over to php at the same time!

Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
I write/update the documentation for wwwthreads and I prefer frequent updates. With frequent updates, those who like to update infrequently can do so whenever they want, whereas those that like to update frequently have that option.

I don't see how anyone would benefit from infrequent updates/upgrades - the changes are in the CHANGES log, what's the difference?

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

Guru
Guru
It's not a very good idea to do both versions at the same time. Mainly because some features after they are released don't end up working properly, so if I was doing both versions at the same time and a new feature didn't work prperly then I'd have to go and make the changes to both versions again. Where if I go back and forth between the 2 it gives time to make sure that the feature is going to behave properly in actual use before porting it over to the other version.

In the long run it doesn't really slow down anything. New features aren't added while a version is in bug squashing mode, which the PHP version is in right now, so I wouldn't be adding anything to the PHP version yet anyways. By the time the PERL version is released the PHP version will be ready to have features added to it, and the PERL version will be in the bug squashing phase.

UBB.threads Developer
tym #207766 01/25/2001 11:23 PM
I find Scream's development/release methods to be sensible. As others have pointed out, it doesn't hurt anyone -- those who don't have time/aren't inclined can skip upgrades, and those who like to keep current or want a certain feature that was added to a certain version can upgrade as they come. No one loses.

That said...
In reply to:

If really I have to suggest something, it would be you write down the bug fixes in an new forum (or in a download area) such that we can apply immediately the patch.

This is a wonderful idea. Fixes that are highly involved would probably be too time-consuming for Scream to post, and perhaps those should be left for users to upgrade. But many of the fixes, it seems, are actually pretty simple -- much quicker than upgrading a forum as heavily hacked as ours. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/] If these could be collected in one place for users to apply themselves, that would be awesome.

~~ Jamie Marie ~~

==================

Jamie Marie
BuffyGuide.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63