Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#205162 09/13/2000 4:16 PM
I just got wwwthreads...too few color variables (e.g there needs to be a category font color distinct from the standard font color)....hence too few design possibilities...and the few that exist don't look so good...doesn't compare to the look of UBB or even ultraBoard...
I got excited when I saw the templates folders, but my understanding from a 7/26 announcement, is that are inactive for now...bummer
when will templates be implemented??

Sponsored Links
well, I'm adding more color variables myself now...

You have millions of possible colors, you just need to add the HTML code, or use things like java script to help the users with color changes.

Here a list of the color "words" (HTML standard) that you can add to your own w3t.pm, just follow the format, and if you know the language conversion for the colors just add that to the translations, but i do not know the translation, so I hard coded it in there. Just add it to the do_markup and undo_markup procedures.

1. black
2. silver
3. gray
4. white
5. maroon
6. red
7. purple
8. fuchsia
9. green
10. lime
11. olive
12. yellow
13. navy
14. blue
15. teal
16. aqua
17. orange

Tony Browneller
http://www.kickas.org

I know I have many *colors* to work with...my point is that I don't have many *color variables* to work with...
The way it's set up, I basically just have:

# Color of webpage backgrounds
$theme{'bodybg'}
# Table Header colors
$theme{'tableheader'}
# Dark table colors
$theme{'tddark'}
# Light table colors
$theme{'tdlight'}
# Text color
$theme{'textcol'}
# Link color
$theme{'linkcol'}
# Header font color
$theme{'headerfontcolor'}

and this limits design possibilities...When I looked at all of the implementations of threads, I was just thinking that all those people just had a bad sense of color and design...but it what really is, is that there is not enough granularity in what can be changed colorwise independent of other things....but like I said, I've changed that by adding more color variables...e.g. now the menu background color is not linked to the header background color on my site...also the menu link color is not linked to the header link color...

Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for the style sheets! (As far as I understand them, at least)...Scream is working on that for an upcoming release.

Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
What's the URL of your site, so we can all come and have a look?

[]http://www.amdragon.com/images/eileensig.gif[/]

In my frustration, I think was too extreme in saying the default set of color variables can't give you a cool site...some of the customer sites do look fine...but they all fit a certain mold...either there
1) light font on dark backgrounds
2) black font with light headers
neither of which I wanted...I had to fit my bulletin board in with a pre-existing scheme (black headers with white font, light tan alternating cells with standard black font)
and that required some more variables

anyway, as far as giving out my URL...maybe I'll wait til I'm actually proud of it...more tweaking to do...
right now I'm rigging up sub-categories...to do it right, I would need to actually understand SQL I think, which I don't
I guess I can learn it...didn't know much about PERL til a few weeks ago...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63